PDA

View Full Version : Install factory windshield on a 18 classic

AC18Classic
04-18-2006, 03:20 PM
I have a 2003 18 classic. I have the wrap around grab rail and want to remove it a put on the factory windshield. Has anyone done this? Can you tell me what I would need to install it? Length of screws / thickness of screws / # of screws and so on. If someone who has done this could walk me through removing the grab rail and installing the windshield would be a great help.

Thanks

Reedy
04-18-2006, 03:44 PM
Are you sure you want to change the looks that much? I think the 18 with the grab rail is the best looking classic set up there is....

AC18Classic
04-18-2006, 04:37 PM
The wife does not want all the wind in her face, got to make her happy.

Reedy
04-18-2006, 04:40 PM
Understood.
Sounds like a great idea.

need for speed
04-18-2006, 04:56 PM
the wind still gona hit ya in the face....! might have to sit on the floor.. :umbrella:

Sagbay32
04-18-2006, 05:20 PM
Windshield works great for keeping wind out of your face ...if you crouch down behind it that is. My Wife said it worked anyway. I prefered the bugs in the teeth look.

Mike

half shell
04-18-2006, 07:11 PM
IMHO the 16 or 18 classic looks best with the rail.

Just the way it was meant to be.

Regards Bob

Sagbay32
04-18-2006, 07:25 PM
I think we can all agree that the windshield debate is the most commonly disagreed upon Donzi topic.

Long live the windshield :biggrin.:

Mike

AC18Classic
04-18-2006, 09:09 PM
Has anyone removed the rail and installed the windshield?

DickB
04-19-2006, 07:45 PM
Has anyone removed the rail and installed the windshield?

You mean you want someone to actually answer your question and not just offer opinions? I thought I remembered reading about someone doing this, but this was the closest that I could find:
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=42154&highlight=windshield+rail

AC18Classic
04-20-2006, 01:17 PM
No one on this site has done this??

RickSE
04-20-2006, 02:54 PM
AC18C, No major issues to install a windshield on an 18. You should know though that the factory windshield will actually push more air into your face vs. no windshield. The windshield actually funnels the wind right into your face. In my old 96 18 I could duck down to get out of the wind when I really wanted to but this boat did not have seat pedestals so the seats were low to the floor.

The factory 18 windshields attach with screws at the base of the windshield. There is a black plastic strip that pulls out of a slot in the extrusion then the screws go into the slot to fasten the base of the windshield to the deck. There are three seperate panels that lock in and attach at the corners, front and two sides. We talked about this a while back, maybe 20 screws on an 18, #6? or #8? stainless .75"-1.0" LG. If you do this make sure you countersink the new screw holes on the deck to prevent the gelcoat from cracking at the holes.

Obviously you may have some holes to fill in from removing the rail. I'm not sure how the rail attaches, maybe bolted from underneath?

AC18Classic
04-20-2006, 07:40 PM
AC18C, No major issues to install a windshield on an 18. You should know though that the factory windshield will actually push more air into your face vs. no windshield. The windshield actually funnels the wind right into your face. In my old 96 18 I could duck down to get out of the wind when I really wanted to but this boat did not have seat pedestals so the seats were low to the floor.
The factory 18 windshields attach with screws at the base of the windshield. There is a black plastic strip that pulls out of a slot in the extrusion then the screws go into the slot to fasten the base of the windshield to the deck. There are three seperate panels that lock in and attach at the corners, front and two sides. We talked about this a while back, maybe 20 screws on an 18, #6? or #8? stainless .75"-1.0" LG. If you do this make sure you countersink the new screw holes on the deck to prevent the gelcoat from cracking at the holes.
Obviously you may have some holes to fill in from removing the rail. I'm not sure how the rail attaches, maybe bolted from underneath?

Thanks,

I have some clear wind deflectors I will attach to the top of the windshield which should keep the wind out of my face.

boxy
04-20-2006, 08:19 PM
I think we can all agree that the windshield debate is the most commonly disagreed upon Donzi topic.
Long live the windshield :biggrin.:
Mike
I disagree with that statement, foam vs no foam is the most disagreed upon Donzi topic. :D

Thanks for the info Rick....

mrmct
04-22-2006, 11:55 AM
[QUOTE=AC18Classic]I have a 2003 18 classic. I have the wrap around grab rail and want to remove it a put on the factory windshield. Has anyone done this?

Hi -

I am contemplating the same thing on a 1999 16 Classic I just bought. (Still waiting for delivery - its coming from a distance) My intent is to order the wind-a-way clear deflectors that can be easily attached and removed, but cannot be clamped effectively to the grab rail. Its not something I am losing sleep over, but would prefer to have the ability to put on the deflectors on a cooler days.

Have you purchased the windshield? Where did you get it? I believe Taylormade is the supplier to the factory, and they said they could sell me one directly if I could provide a part number. I suspect the windshield for the 16 and the 18 is the same - both boats have the same beam. Unfortunately the parts guy at Donzi has not returned a couple of voicemails I left him so I am stuck here. There are plenty of custom shops around where I live, so it should be no problem to get a good winshield made along the same lines as the stock version.

Cheers!

joem
04-24-2006, 02:59 PM
a easy fix for the old holes...i had a windshield on my 16 looked stupid....took it off and rather than fill the holes and have to do paint work and all to make it look right i put a ssbolt in the hole and a round chrome snap on cap on them they look like they belong there....Doesen,t look as bad as all the male snap buttons for the cocpit cover...can get them in most auto stores such as pep boys....joe

AC18Classic
04-25-2006, 08:16 PM
[QUOTE=AC18Classic]I have a 2003 18 classic. I have the wrap around grab rail and want to remove it a put on the factory windshield. Has anyone done this?
Hi -
I am contemplating the same thing on a 1999 16 Classic I just bought. (Still waiting for delivery - its coming from a distance) My intent is to order the wind-a-way clear deflectors that can be easily attached and removed, but cannot be clamped effectively to the grab rail. Its not something I am losing sleep over, but would prefer to have the ability to put on the deflectors on a cooler days.
Have you purchased the windshield? Where did you get it? I believe Taylormade is the supplier to the factory, and they said they could sell me one directly if I could provide a part number. I suspect the windshield for the 16 and the 18 is the same - both boats have the same beam. Unfortunately the parts guy at Donzi has not returned a couple of voicemails I left him so I am stuck here. There are plenty of custom shops around where I live, so it should be no problem to get a good winshield made along the same lines as the stock version.
Cheers!

I got the factory windshield from a Donzi dealer in MD. It cost me $650 shipped to my door. I also purchased the wind-a-way clear deflectors which I will attach to the windshield. They will not attach to the grab rail and thats why I am putting on the windshield.

AC18Classic
04-25-2006, 08:18 PM
a easy fix for the old holes...i had a windshield on my 16 looked stupid....took it off and rather than fill the holes and have to do paint work and all to make it look right i put a ssbolt in the hole and a round chrome snap on cap on them they look like they belong there....Doesen,t look as bad as all the male snap buttons for the cocpit cover...can get them in most auto stores such as pep boys....joe

Joe,

What are the snap on caps?