PDA

View Full Version : Trailer question, repair or buy new?

florida gator
04-17-2006, 07:57 PM
Lost a hub on the way to Treasure Island a couple of weekends ago. Trailer has been in and out of salt water for 16 years. I flush it and maintaine it but I don't think the previous owner did much.

I know I can repair the trailer but considering if I repair the hub I will still have a old, rundown galvanized trailer with alot of corrosion and the need for several other repairs.

If I knew I would be keeping this boat for at least a couple of more years, I would definately buy new. I may only have another year so I'm not convinced I want to spend the $$ on new.

Any suggestions??

MOP
04-17-2006, 08:44 PM
If you have the loot make the switch to aluminum!
I ran, sold and worked Galv trailers for most of my life, when I bought the 22 it came on a near new fresh only water Galv trailer single torsion axle with brakes. I wanted a dually so pondered adding an axle or going to an aluminum one all setup, that's history!! Towing aluminum is like having nothing behind you plus my little garden tractor can move it around the yard, I tried that once with the old trailer damn near flipped the tractor over backwards and did not budge the trailer.

Phil

billy22zx
04-30-2006, 11:25 AM
Speaking of new trailers...i ordered a new one for my '99 22zx about 6-8 weeks ago from Pheonix Trailer Co. in Detroit. It finally arrived on Thursday (they told me 3-4 weeks) It`s a georgeous trailer....too bad it doesnt fit the step hull design. So..they are coming to take some measurements with the boat on the trailer,and take it back to the factory. Needless to say,i was VERY dissapointed with the whole thing. I guess i cant` compalin too much,as my good friend at Simmons Marine in Akron Ohio ordered the trailer thru Pheonix at his cost. I had the option of taking the trailer there myself with the boat on it,but we would have had to modify the bunks to assure a safe trip. Looks like another 2 weeks before i get it back. I did however manage to get some things done on the zx while wating on the trailer. I replaced the impeller(remove bilge pump before removing water pump!) plugs are fresh,outdrive oil,etc. We also had to fix the rear hatch. The brackets were barely holding it on,so we added 2 inches to the brackets and re-installed it. I was amazed that Donzi let it leave the factory that way. Also i feel the hatch raises and lowers very slow and doesn`t seem to have enough clearance. We also added some cleats amidship,which is a nice addition. If anyone is considering this...we went thru the speaker holes to attach the backing plates,but be sure to use a wood backer as well. The backing plate they give you is not enough to snug the cleats to the hull. They look great! I used the 6 in pull up style. I am hoping to take the boat to the Pittsburg Poker Run on June 17th. This is sponsered by Fox Chapel Marine. I was able to go last year and ride in a 32 ft Phantom with twin 500`s I am hoping to kick some Baja butt with the 22! If anyone is from the Northeast Ohio area be sure and look up Simmons Marine if you have any strendrive needs. I`ve know Jim for years,and he is a great sterndrive mechanic with high performance expertise.

boldts
04-30-2006, 12:02 PM
A little different situation FG than yours, but my 18 Classic was on a steel trailer for 16 years before the boat was traded in with that trailer. I was lucky in that my father is a civil engineer and had a machine shop available to me when I needed it. Over the years, I put enough money into that trailer to have easily bought a brand spanking new one. Obviously you should look for galvanized vs steel being in FL. (I had a friend with an 18 Classic on a dual axle galvanized trailer. One day while towing, the front beam with the coupler broke in two. He had it welded and continued to use it here on fresh water, but aluminum doesn't end all salt water problems.) Anyhow, point is. You mention maybe not going to keep the boat for a while. I'd either fix what you have or look for a used galvanized trailer that fits your needs. If you change your mind and decide to keep the boat, I'd look at new. It may pay for itself in the long run. Not to mention, if you decide to sell the boat, a new or good used trailer will add that much more to your obtainable asking price.