PDA

View Full Version : Surviving after an Eight month fight

BigGrizzly
04-17-2006, 06:53 PM
This is not about my boat but me!! I have been off the Donzi net for about 8>10 month, this was because I had Cancer. I did not mention it publicly because thats just the way I am. Some close Donzi frends knew. I attacted this thing just like I raced. I went for the win. I copped and attitude "Win Win and Win" My wife stood by me and never faltered ever. I projected this attitude even in the radiation and Chemo waiting roons, to the point we created focus groups, to discuss the only the upside. I went through 3 months of Chemo and radiation at the same time. and was off work for another 6 months. The short of a long and painfull story is that as of now we WON the battle. Just remember cancer can come backwithout warning. that is to say today I'm clean and tommorow i'm not. We are pretty sure we beat IT. I will get checkups every month for the next 5 years to be safe. Now thats over I'm BACK and will be at Cumberland.

chappy
04-17-2006, 07:14 PM
I work for a man who was diagnosed with leukemia in September of 1998. He told me to read the book, "It's not about the bike" by Lance Armstrong. He's working with me today and is the proud father of two beautiful sons. It's obvious you've stayed strong, and we can all learn much from you. Good stuff.
Rich:yes:

Sagbay32
04-17-2006, 07:28 PM
Big Griz,
Thank you for letting us know how you are doing. I am glad to hear you are feeling better and have such a positive "win win win" attitude! It hasn't been the same around here without you.

Here's to many more years of your informative, experienced posts!
:beer:

Mike

BGH18
04-17-2006, 08:11 PM
Big Grizzly,
Hope your going to be at the AOTH @ Cumberland. I would like to meet you, as I went through Chemo & Radiation as well for stage 4 lung cancer. Like you said I had my wife at my side. I was 40 years old at the time 3 yrs ago and kept the positive attitude as well. Cat scans & chest xrays every 8 weeks still to this day.
Best wishes BH

Mr X
04-17-2006, 08:12 PM
Randy, you have been missed!
We will continue to keep you and your family in our prayers.
We will see you soon! :checkered

MOP
04-17-2006, 08:22 PM
Randy thanks for being the fighter that you are, you have helped so many never asking for anything in return. I am sorry to hear what you have been through but very glad that it will not Beat You!

With Respect

Phil

bobwpe
04-17-2006, 08:49 PM
Glad your well and glad your'e back. You don't know me because I just started posting but I have learned more than I thought there was to know from your posts! Thanks for coming through like a champ.

onesubdrvr
04-17-2006, 09:01 PM
Glad to have you back,...........and still around!! :party: :biggrin:

Wayne

BUIZILLA
04-17-2006, 09:11 PM
Griz, every day I walked in the garage and saw my Critter, I thought about ya...

glad to see ya back

Jim

RedDog
04-17-2006, 09:19 PM
Randy - I was one of those who had no idea. You have been sorely missed around here. I am so glad you hung tough. Welcome back!

goatee
04-17-2006, 10:00 PM
glad to have to back randy.

pmreed
04-17-2006, 10:01 PM
Randy, I've been kinda searching for a reason to go to Kentucky... now I've got one. Plan on seeing you there.

Phil

sweet 16 1966
04-17-2006, 10:01 PM
Great story! Makes me appreciate the time we have.

Jamesbon
04-17-2006, 10:17 PM
That's great news Randy! Keep up the good work. You're in my prayers.

Ed Donnelly
04-17-2006, 10:24 PM
Randy; Great to have you back.. Stay strong..You are in our prayers for continued good health.......Ed

Dr. Dan
04-17-2006, 10:33 PM
:wavey: Randy All Our Best ... Glad to hear from you... Our Prayers and Well Wishes will be for you & your Family.

Be Well

Doc & Lizard and the Atlantic Coast Crew :D

Lenny
04-18-2006, 12:35 AM
Awesome news Grizz.

Welcome back. You are amongst a great deal of friends here.

Take care, Lenny and Deneen... still remembering that 84 MPH ride and three people and full fuel :rolleyes: :D :D :D

RickR
04-18-2006, 07:58 AM
Glad You're Back!!!!:)

roadtrip se
04-18-2006, 09:12 AM
on the docks at Cumberland!

EricG
04-18-2006, 09:38 AM
Welcome Back Grizz! Glad to hear your health is improved...really makes you realize what's important. Stay well! :biggrin:

EG

yeller
04-18-2006, 11:06 AM
... I went for the win. I copped and attitude "Win Win and Win" My wife stood by me and never faltered ever. I projected this attitude even in the radiation and Chemo waiting roons, to the point we created focus groups, to discuss the only the upside...
I'm a strong believer that the mind is the strongest medicine of all. Only those that have been through the hell you have, know how tough it is to stay positive. It takes a strong person to maintain that attitude. That says volumes about your character.

Welcome back BigGrizzly!

GEOO
04-18-2006, 01:24 PM
Grizz, Glad to hear you're up on top of things again!!
That must of been one of your toughest rides!!! EKK..
Hopefully I'll run in to you at one of the events, cruise in the Donzi and shoot the sh.t about gear head stuff.
'
Take Care. George

boldts
04-18-2006, 02:56 PM
Randy,

Where do I sart? You've taught me so much over the last 6 years. Not just about boats, but also life and you continue to do so now. I wasn't aware you had cancer until a recent phone call with Chris Booe. He said not to say anything to honor your wishes. So many times I wanted to give you a ring, but since you we'ren't here on the boards, I actually feared something even worst than what you've been through may have happened. That didn't come out right. How can anything be worse than fighting cancer. I've been a diabetic for some 37 years now and I know the strength of believing in yourself. Every day my eyes open and I get to experience life is a blessing! We often forget that.

So may wonderful memories involve your presence. AOTH 1 - you and Truvell - Oh my God, Grizzly is going to knock Tuvell for a loop because of things written on a Donzi website? How do I fix that? Eufala and my first ride in a 80 plus MPH Donzi. Going down the lake in your Crit. I'm sitting in the middle with the wind hitting my face and you ask me if I'd like to drive? :eek: Is this guy nuts? You hang on to that wheel, I'm just fine sitting right here.

Looking forward to seeing you again and catching up on old times. I know everyone else will enjoy your presence also! Take care and keep fighting the fight needing faught.

Carl C
04-18-2006, 04:09 PM
Best wishes to you. The big C struck in my family last year too.

smokediver
04-18-2006, 04:32 PM
glad to see you Randy ....

penbroke
04-18-2006, 06:31 PM
Glad to have you back! This place just isn't the same without you.

Frank

gcarter
04-18-2006, 07:18 PM
Welcome back Randy!
We missed your wisdom.

Moody Blu'
04-18-2006, 11:27 PM
wow randy im glad your ok, who else could help me jet my edelbrock 750 in the middle of the bay to help get rid of my 3500k POP(lean needle).
I did wonder where you were for a while, im glad your doing better. If I did know about it i knew you would attack it, i mean anyone who can beat factory racers as a privateer def has a strong will.

you won something alot better then any race though,
time amongst family and friends theres your trophy :D

randy heres to you and your courage for making it through.

ALLAN BROWN
04-19-2006, 07:51 AM
I figured you were in jail.............

Marlin275
04-19-2006, 02:33 PM
Missed all your great input on the board . . .
was a little quiet here without you !
Welcome Back !

fasttrucker
04-19-2006, 07:41 PM
Welcome back!Thanks for your help,past and future:yes:

Audiofn
04-19-2006, 08:17 PM
Hang in there and lets hope that you stay on top of it.

Jon

J&K SHAHBAS
04-20-2006, 09:11 AM
Randy good to hear your well Kathy and Shelby also send there love!!

Hope to see you in KY.

Chili 18
04-20-2006, 11:47 AM
T. I attacted this thing just like I raced. I went for the win. I copped and attitude "Win Win and Win"

I believe that so much of our health and well being begins with the mind, our attitude, and the force of will to guide our cells in the proper direction.

I believe you will win. I believe, you already have!

Hope you have a wonderful fun stress free summer!

Chili

McGary911
04-20-2006, 01:59 PM
Randy, good to have you back. You are a guy on the board with a couple of things in common with me. 1 member of the Crit' Club (exclusive bunch :biggrin.:). 2 Spent time in Pt Pleasant Bch, NJ, my hometown.

My old man beat prostate cancer a few years back. Can be a very scary thing for sure.

Here's to your continued good health :beer:

Forrest
04-20-2006, 02:00 PM
Welcome back! Grizz, you are thoughest dude that I know and it sure shows here. We knew that you would be the winner on this one. Eufaula 8 wouldn't be the same without you being there. Again, Ginny and I will be happy to hear your "kid-from-New-Jersey-via-Atlanta" voice again! See you soon.

BigGrizzly
04-20-2006, 07:41 PM
^Thanks Guys and Girls for the welcome back. Last year I missed all events. This year is going to be diferent. I.m in my ne dream house on the lake with a garage large enough to back the Criterion in and leave it warm and dry. There is also a car lift that can lift the boat and trailer off the ground if needed to wax the bottom. Some times when I felt low I would go ino the garage and look at my old race bike and climb up and sit in the Criterion and would feel better Knowing I would be in it again. I'm looking foward to Cumberland, Eufala, and the Donzi Miller event, and maybe some others too. Those of you talked about a positive attitude are correct. That and a little prayer works!! I'm lucky because I had some great friends supporting me. On a lighter side the Criterion runs and well, ttrailer has new lights and my bag is almost packed for Cumberland, and the other bag ispacked for Eufala. Maybe we will get to see Forest befor the gathering, since he is so close. Thanks again for the support.

CrackerJack
04-21-2006, 08:23 AM
Great to hear from you Randy, looking forward to seeing you soon.
Tell the family hello for us.
Jack & family.

Last Tango
04-21-2006, 08:46 AM
Randy,
Glad to hear it was "only" Cancer. You're a tough guy and can beat the easy stuff like that. I was afraid you were overcome by the fumes from the varnish and shalack on that wooden boat thing you and Tom have been into lately.
Welcome home.

Speed-Racer
04-23-2006, 08:02 PM
Welcome back!

tamburello
04-23-2006, 10:07 PM
Welcome back! We're looking forward to seeing you at AOTH! :biggrin:

- Jeff