PDA

View Full Version : where is the limit on the volvo drives?

tiger lily
04-16-2006, 08:47 PM
how fast can people get these boats to run with the older volvo drives? wheres the limit before they blow up? im not looking for huge speed gains, i kind of think i would like to get just alittle more out of it, i really want another boat for some serious speed, prolly with some clamp ons on the back, but just for some conversation sake, how much speed does the volvo drive on the 18s really limit it too???

onesubdrvr
04-16-2006, 09:09 PM
They have been pushed to near 500hp,....very durable, BUT, they are a brick moving through the water, a good 7 or 8 mph slower than an Alpha / Bravo / etc. Also, prop selection is a little more limited, so trying to prop one out can take alot of time, get expensive, and still not yield the desired results. Solas has a line of props for the old Volvo's out that are supposed to have real good "bite", may be a big improvement, waiting on real time data.

Wayne

MOP
04-16-2006, 09:17 PM
Volvos are tough and will hold up to some good HP for quite awhile, but they are a little slower through the water then Merc & OMC.
How fast will it go? It is just like any boat how many $$$$ you want to throw at it, there are quite a few guys on the board with nice running Vovlo 18's. They will give you the best input!

Phil

mrfixxall
04-16-2006, 10:20 PM
Im pumping 435+ hp through mine for the last 20 yrs and knock on wood i havnt done a thing to it..depending on the prop i run i can get 68 to 72+ mph on motor,,on spray i havnyt had the balls to look at the hand held gps. Im too busy hanging onnnnnnnnnnnnn....

Ed Donnelly
04-17-2006, 10:46 AM
My 16 had a Gale Banks twin turbo 1,ooo h.p.
270T with a speedmaster lower, 3 blade nybral prop
Easy out of the hole and no air.
Ran 7 yrs never a problem.......Ed

BigGrizzly
04-17-2006, 08:27 PM
The real problem with the old Volvos is untill I worked with a prop company t0 make stainles Modern props. the Volvo drive isn't any slower through water then Merc drives. Actually the 270 is better hydronamically than the Bravo. however the props by Michican wheel or Volvo are 30 years out of date. If yougo back a year there is a discussion on these props which I sell, and others have used. they work extreamly well on the T drives(trim typr 270T, 280T and 290T). My 1972 Corsican has the origional geaes that I put in a 290 drive for power trim and they are doing fine still. The engine is a 351 Ford Clevland by H&M and redon by me.

tiger lily
04-17-2006, 08:34 PM
My 16 had a Gale Banks twin turbo 1,ooo h.p.
270T with a speedmaster lower, 3 blade nybral prop
Easy out of the hole and no air.
Ran 7 yrs never a problem.......Ed

could you or someone elses give me some detail by what you mean speedmaster lower??i know you are referring to the lower unit of the drive, but the only time ive heard speedmaster was with the merc series drives.

mrfixxall
04-17-2006, 08:37 PM
could you or someone elses give me some detail by what you mean speedmaster lower??i know you are referring to the lower unit of the drive, but the only time ive heard speedmaster was with the merc series drives.
Do a search on volvo e drive,,,thats a speed master volvo unit... a bitch to find and a bitch to find parts for but good for 7mph with the same power your running now..

tiger lily
04-17-2006, 08:38 PM
Do a search on volvo e drive,,,thats a speed master volvo unit... a bitch to find and a bitch to find parts for but good for 7mph with the same power your running now..

that should be perfect, sounds like the story of my life, and my last girlfriend.

onesubdrvr
04-17-2006, 08:59 PM
The real problem with the old Volvos is untill I worked with a prop company t0 make stainles Modern props. the Volvo drive isn't any slower through water then Merc drives. Actually the 270 is better hydronamically than the Bravo. however the props by Michican wheel or Volvo are 30 years out of date. If yougo back a year there is a discussion on these props which I sell, and others have used. they work extreamly well on the T drives(trim typr 270T, 280T and 290T). My 1972 Corsican has the origional geaes that I put in a 290 drive for power trim and they are doing fine still. The engine is a 351 Ford Clevland by H&M and redon by me.
Randy,

I'm restoring the X right now, but will DEFINATELY be in touch with you when I'm ready for propping!!

Thanks!!
Wayne

MOP
04-17-2006, 09:37 PM
Something note worthy about the Volvo drives is the later (Not New Style) ones with the exhaust coming through the cav plate give a fair bit of stern lift. The tech's pointed that out in school, it was designed to gave better exhaust flow and to help to lift the stern with moderate power. On 16' & 18's the drives (all makes) are mounted a bit low for optimum performance. The early style with the thin cav plate is probably a little better for our boats we do not need stern lift. If I were doing a Volvo setup I would raise the X and get the cav plate up to get it clear of the water flow at speed, I know significant speed gains can be had.

Phil