PDA

View Full Version : How durable

onesubdrvr
04-16-2006, 03:20 PM
Is Chrome plating?

Is it durable enough to be used on a part that is submerged while the boat is running (ie something like a prop cone?)

How 'bout something like the transom assy?

Just curious, I think it'd look pretty damn hot to get it done,......but I aint gonna spend the money to do it!!

Wayne

gcarter
04-16-2006, 04:25 PM
Is Chrome plating?
Is it durable enough to be used on a part that is submerged while the boat is running (ie something like a prop cone?)
How 'bout something like the transom assy?
Just curious, I think it'd look pretty damn hot to get it done,......but I aint gonna spend the money to do it!!
Wayne
I think chrome plating aluminum (like wheels) is pretty hard to do. I believe the technology is pretty new ( remember seeing all those chrome wheels on high end cars about 10 years ago? ) . Anyway, always remember the finish quality is in the underlying metal, so it's very labor intensive and therefore expensive. Don't know how it'd hold up in salt water.....

tiger lily
04-16-2006, 04:27 PM
i have a feeling that it would not work to well in salt water, and that it might be pitted fairly quick, maybe anodizing it? or stainless?

Cuda
04-16-2006, 08:57 PM
Think how often you see chrome wheels on a trailer, not very often, and not for very long.