PDA

View Full Version : best polish for getting marks out

tiger lily
04-16-2006, 02:15 PM
:frown: i had to pull out a stuck truck sat morning, while getting close too it, i scratched the entire drivers side of my truck, ive never been so mad at myself in my entire life for helping out and "being the nice guy", well anyways i think i can rub most of them out because they are not all the way down, but what should i use to rub them out? the only other option would prolly be to have the truck repainted, and i dont have any money for that, need some help :frown:

olredalert
04-16-2006, 05:10 PM
Matt,

-------It would be my recomendation to find a good detailer and let him have a go at it. There is color-sanding and more than one step of buffing involved..........Bill S

tiger lily
04-16-2006, 05:58 PM
its a all black truck too, it shows every thing :(

MOP
04-16-2006, 06:59 PM
It should be block/wet sand it with 4-6-then 800# grit before compounding, if you just work the scratch's length ways the ripple will show like a sore thumb in the sun. If they are very shallow you can try corse compound on rag wrapped around a block of wood, you need to bring the out lying surface down to match the scratches depth.

Phil

motorcity
04-16-2006, 07:41 PM
First try some 3m finesse-it II with a clean cotton cloth. If that doesn't do it try the finesse-it with a polihing wheel, followed with 3m machine wheel. Do not use 600 or 800 and wet sand it. Todays' vehicles do not have alot of clear coat to wet sand, if you where to wet sand, I would use 1000 or 1500 grit and the the finesse-it. With the truck being black you will have to polish the whole door at the very least, and a goo polish on the rest of the truck so the color depth will look the same thru out the whole thing.

tiger lily
04-16-2006, 08:06 PM
First try some 3m finesse-it II with a clean cotton cloth. If that doesn't do it try the finesse-it with a polihing wheel, followed with 3m machine wheel. Do not use 600 or 800 and wet sand it. Todays' vehicles do not have alot of clear coat to wet sand, if you where to wet sand, I would use 1000 or 1500 grit and the the finesse-it. With the truck being black you will have to polish the whole door at the very least, and a goo polish on the rest of the truck so the color depth will look the same thru out the whole thing.

i might try that, ill get some pics snapped of it tomorrow to show how bad it is, i might have to get it repainted, im never again helping anyone get unstuck, i have a feeling i might have to get i t all repainted. i was also worried about wet sanding it, because ive seen the results of taking too muchc off while wet sanding.

mrfixxall
04-16-2006, 10:35 PM
whay motorcity said,,but i would rice paper if their fine scratches...

Sam
04-17-2006, 06:11 PM
What's rice paper ?

mrfixxall
04-17-2006, 07:16 PM
What's rice paper ?
Its finer then 2500 grit..i use to use it on factory paint jobs so you dont sand through the 2-3ml clear coats on todays cars...