PDA

View Full Version : Time to come out of the closet

bobwpe
04-15-2006, 02:10 PM
Hi Everyone,
I'd like to start my first post of substance by thanking all of you who have contributed so much to this very valuable forum. I don't want to list the names because I'm sure I would forget someone but the two Scott's would surely be at the top of such a list. In any event the time is long overdue for me to contribute to this resource which has been so helpful to me.
I purchased a 1973 18' 2+3 hull and deck in July of 2004 as a long term (2-3 years) restoration project. The transom had already been rebuilt and since that time the following has glass work has been completed:
New foam to replace balsa under deck.
New fuel tank.
Two layers of glass feathered along the shear line of the hull to mitigate swiss cheese condition of hull/deck joint.
Beefed up stringers and repaired minimal damage.
New cockpit floor (more on this later).
Hull interior paint.
New gelcoat bottom.
Hull and deck primed and ready for paint.
I have pictures of all of the above which will be available in this and future posts. Most of this was done by an incredibly able and talented glass guy who I had lined up before I bought the boat as I would never have undertaken this project without him. I am well aware of the taboo on cutting the cockpit floor for any reason but when you see what my glass guy did many of you may agree that it came out pretty well.
Now it is time for me to start accumulating all the parts. Since I need everything I was beginning to think it would be cheaper to buy a used boat in the 10-15k range, restore and use all the parts and give the hull away for someone else to resto. Now it appears that my beloved hurricane Wilma has stepped in to fill the void. I was the successful bidder this morning on the Sad Donzi referenced in the boats for sale section. I personally inspected the boat on Thursday and the engine/drive package as well as all the other parts I need are in nearly new condition. I am taking a calculated risk on the engine/drive based on my conversation with a yard guy who new the boat and said it was properly maintained.
Since I want to keep this post as brief as possible I'd like to leave it up to the board members to fire away with any questions you might have and I will respond (with pictures) to the best of my ability.
Thanks again for all your help and I look forward to sharing my adventure with all of you who have been so kind to contribute to this site.
btw: This is not my first Donzi. From 1989-1995 I had an '82 22' 2+3 with a Mercruser 330, TRS and 21-23p cleaver. It was a great boat, I just got tired of the Donzi Do'$ every monday morning.

Cuda
04-15-2006, 03:57 PM
It sounds like that wrecked boat was exactly what you needed. I'd figure the same thing that I figure when I buy an engine from a salvage yard that's been wrecked, it must have been running when they wrecked it. Good luck, and keep us posted.

MOP
04-15-2006, 05:00 PM
you are off to a great start, if the deal is straight on the engine/drive you will have one nice running boat! Good luck with finishing up and keep us posted!

Phil

yeller
04-15-2006, 05:02 PM
Keep us up to date with regular posts and pictures. It's always exciting to follow someones restoration. Good score on the 04 boat. Now you'll have everthing you need in one purchase. You'll probably do ok with your drive package. There is always the off chance that it's in rough shape, but with an 04 the odds are with you.

bobwpe
04-15-2006, 06:00 PM
Hmm, so what ya gonna do with the leftover bits n pieces??
What an honor to have my first post responded to by such board icons!
To answer your question, though I guess they'll end up in the parts section with proceeds to go to the registry. As for what's left of the hull I might have a cook out.

MOP
11-27-2006, 12:08 PM
:happy_bi: Hope the project is up and running by now.

Phil

BigGrizzly
11-27-2006, 06:04 PM
Looks like your off on the right foot. Nice gel and glass job. Keep us posted and get ready to come to a get together. The board is nothing compared to the real thing, great luck. The board is here for YOU, if we can't help fix something than it just ain't broke

bobwpe
11-28-2006, 05:12 PM
Thanks for the good words guys and hi to all. Yes this project has just recently reactivated after an extended break and is on slow ahead. I am currently pre-installing deck hardware prior to paint so I'll know where everything goes. I recently received a beautifully made and polished dash panel from Rootsy and have some engine comp. vents on the way thanks to Eugene Nemahow. These two items are just one example of what a wonderful resource this site is and how willing everyone is to help each other out. Every question I have had so far has been answered by doing a search on this site and I want to thank everyone for their help.
Once I make enough progress to post a picture I will.
Thanks again

Donziweasel
11-28-2006, 05:25 PM
Good luck on the project. I hope to follow in your footsteps one day when my new shop is finished. Looks like you are off to a great start.

BigGrizzly
11-28-2006, 07:22 PM
I have a better getter done and come out to play

New2Donzi
11-28-2006, 09:37 PM
I must second bobwpe sentiment! I don't believe all of you fully understand how many people like Bobwpe and myself look at the info on this site and the value it brings to us. I can only speak for myself, I check regularly. I have been in the background for several years as has bobwpe because I'm not as
knowlegable as most on this site. I have had the opportunity to learn a whole lot about Donzi's thanks to this site and must commend all involved, with special cudos To Scott. I too am involved in a mutli year restoration of an old 18 and value and appreciate all the info this site offers. I've been a little shy about asking questions but my project.It is now reaching the stage where I would really value and respect the whealth of knowledge the people on this site bring to the table. I feel I am trully fortunate to have discovered this site and the Donzi fraternaty it embodies..... Cheers Ed

BigGrizzly
12-02-2006, 08:45 PM
Ask the question there are no stupid questions unless you already know the answer and are testing us. The other thing maybe someone else wants an answer to the same question but is afraid to ask. This board got together because we want to help each other. This is not a profit making organization, we are here to exchange information, help each other to save money, and do it saftly and correctly the first time. the other side effect is that we become friends and go boating together. Com out of the closet and contrubute information and get some. Cool don't you think.