PDA

View Full Version : Finally getting some work done

onesubdrvr
04-14-2006, 09:18 PM
Well,

I've got to go to my office in Orlando tomorrow, so I'm going to do some work on my drive while I'm there

I've got most of the paint off, but I'm going to finish it off, and hopefully get a couple coats of zinc chromate primer on it. (plenty of room and space at the shop to spread out). I also plan on prepping and painting the power steering ram / etc. Any suggestions for paint on this? It's internal to the hull, originally painted in "Volvo" red.

I'll post pictures if I get any REAL work done tomorrow.

Wayne

Cuda
04-15-2006, 08:21 AM
. Any suggestions for paint on this? It's internal to the hull, originally painted in "Volvo" red.
I'll post pictures if I get any REAL work done tomorrow.
Wayne

Mercruiser Black.:cistineb:

MOP
04-15-2006, 09:02 AM
Wayne for final sanding use alumimun oxide paper, some other types may leave corrosive residues also as soon as an area is clean shot a light coat of chromate to seal the surface, aluminum corrodes almost immediately. It may look bright but if left untreated it will not hold paint, trust me I have painted more then my fair share of egg beaters.

Phil

onesubdrvr
04-15-2006, 11:12 PM
Well,

Didn't get near as much done today as I wanted to,....but these items are stripped of all the old paint, and ready for primer / paint. Also, got to spend a couple of minutes with GCarter today, and had the pleasure of meeting his wife. Unfortunately as I was under a little bit of a time crunch, didn't get to have lunch, but a nice (but too short) visit non the less.

Intermediate housing - Done
Trim Cylinder housing - Done
Reverse Kickout Lock - Done
Prop Cone - Done
Shift Linkage Cover - Done
Steering Yolk - Done
Drive Helmut - Done
Drive Yolk - Done
Power Steering Cooler - Done

Still have upper and lower units to do, all internal steering parts and brackets, trim cylinders, etc.

The old stuff had the original primer, the original white, some other primer, then the yellow enamel, man is it being a PITA to get clean,....oh well, the ends justify the means!!

Wayne

Oh, and Joe,........

Volvo White!!!

Cuda
04-15-2006, 11:16 PM
Getter done! :)

I was a busy little beaver myself today. :)

onesubdrvr
04-15-2006, 11:22 PM
I'm trying Joe,

Unfortunately, I only have 2 places to get any work done,

one is 2 hours drive south, the other is 2 hours drive NE.

Oh well, it'll get done,......eventually,....

What where YOU up to today? tearing the Minx engine down?

Wayne

onesubdrvr
04-16-2006, 07:46 AM
Here's a picture of the progress,.....
slow and steady wins the race, right?!?!?!?

Chili 18
04-16-2006, 08:57 AM
You are sandblasting? Looks great. Nothing like fresh aluminum... I used wire brushes to clean up the lower on the ss. Was hoping to leave it as a brushed finish. But too much pitting for that :-( Oh well. Anyways... Keep up the good work!

c

onesubdrvr
04-16-2006, 09:51 AM
Well, actually I'm using 3m stripping / buffing pads to remove the majority of the paint, then doing the "finish" work with the sand blaster. Originally I wasn't going to because I didn't want to remove all the bearings / seals to clean out the debris, but decided anything worth doing is worth doing right, so, after I'm done, everything is coming all the way apart, getting cleaned / replaced (seals) as necessary.

Thanks for the encouragement
Wayne

Ted Guldemond
04-16-2006, 12:04 PM
That would look pretty cool clear coated!

onesubdrvr
04-16-2006, 12:19 PM
That would look pretty cool clear coated!
I have considered it,....

I even considered polishing it, but there are too many casting imperfections for it to come out really good.

Also, I did work for someone the other day that does "powder and performance coatings". I may see what else they have to offer.

Thanks
Wayne