PDA

View Full Version : How do you get rid of ARMADILLOS?

2biguns
04-14-2006, 04:23 PM
We live in the middle of town in a fairly nice neighborhood. What drew us to our house and lot (on top of a large hill and bordered by undevelopable woods) apparantly has become quite a draw for these evil demons. They are gradually chewing up my yard.

Short of hiring Carl the groundskeeper with his plastique explosives and high-powered gopher rifle, what can be done? I realize the only true cure would be a 12 gauge but at this point in my life, I've seen the inside of a jail one time too many.

Reedy
04-14-2006, 04:53 PM
They do not like dogs.......

Cuda
04-14-2006, 07:01 PM
It's horrible to see, but my bulldogs kill armadillos. Spot had one clamped in his mouth from the bottom side, and his guts were coming out his back. They got on one out here a while back. I had to send Debbie to go see what it was, I'm getting too soft in my old age to see that, but they will get them.

dr
04-14-2006, 08:34 PM
Years ago we moved to the county, in the woods with 20 or so acres…and we had moles everywhere…chewing up the yard and the flower beds…tried all sorts of chemicals, poisons, one old farmer told us to drop bubble gum in the holes…all to no avail…

One day while at the farmers Coop picking up stuff for the kids horses I asked the guy there how to get rid of moles….he said I’ve got just the thing….turned around and retrieved a business card that was pined to the wall and handed it to me….I looked at it and it was a Real Estate agents card..before I could say anything he said…..move.....

2biguns
04-14-2006, 08:43 PM
Years ago we moved to the county, in the woods with 20 or so acres…and we had moles everywhere…chewing up the yard and the flower beds…tried all sorts of chemicals, poisons, one old farmer told us to drop bubble gum in the holes…all to no avail…
One day while at the farmers Coop picking up stuff for the kids horses I asked the guy there how to get rid of moles….he said I’ve got just the thing….turned around and retrieved a business card that was pined to the wall and handed it to me….I looked at it and it was a Real Estate agents card..before I could say anything he said…..move.....

If we still lived out in the country, I would not worry about sitting up late with a couple of buddies, a case of beer and a shotgun and just blasting the critters when they come out. Unfortunately, we're in the middle of town now where I felt sure we'd be safe from varmits.

I have been told that armadillo meat is a delicacy among certain hispanic cultures and due to our huge poultry production, Cullman County has an ample supply of friends from south of the border. One of my clients has several crews of chicken catchers and I may tell him I'll go easy on his next fee if he'll send me some top notch snatchers to cure my problem. We'll see.

Cuda
04-14-2006, 09:07 PM
I have been told that armadillo meat is a delicacy among certain hispanic cultures
Aka, possum on the half shell. :)

Schnook
04-15-2006, 08:07 AM
Aka, possum on the half shell. :)
A friend of mine tried to bake one once. He said all he got was a lot of grease and it stunk. I grew up in south Texas and I've never heard of anyone actually eating armadillo. yuk!!!

2biguns
04-17-2006, 10:43 AM
hmmm for armadillos... can't say i've ever seen one in person actually.. but i'd think onna those 1200 fps 22 caliber pellet guns would be effective... and quiet... as long as you aren't too drunk to whack em in the side of the melon...
Sounds like a plan. I just hope I don't piss him off and he attacks me:fire:
I can always go armed with a backup (shotgun). Alabama just passed a new lethal force law that says you can kill intruders in your home or car. Surely I could argue that this law applies to irate Armadillos that attack in the yard as a defense to a discharging firearm in city limits charge!

vrod02
04-17-2006, 10:52 AM
Cudas right they are related to opossums and have similar habits.I'd call conservation and see what they say about best way of irratication.:smash: Hell there in St. Louis already, Road kill sightings.

2biguns
04-17-2006, 11:25 AM
Cudas right they are related to opossums and have similar habits.I'd call conservation and see what they say about best way of irratication.:smash: Hell there in St. Louis already, Road kill sightings.

I have talked to our local game warden, animal control officer, police chief and even my bug man. All agree on one point: the only way to effectively deal with the problem is a shotgun or automobile.

I mentioned trying a .22 and was told that the risk of errant shot/ricochet would be high and the buggers are VERY hard to kill.

It appears that the automobile works so well because the armadillo has a defense mechanism that causes it to jump straight up in the air when threatened so they end up getting killed more often than had they just "played possum" and hoped the tires missed it.

Reedy
04-17-2006, 11:27 AM
They do make a sub sonic 22 round, and Dillo meat is the best trot line bait you can use.......

roadtrip se
04-18-2006, 12:55 PM
Of course, I didn't have them rooting around in the yard.

This one lives on a shelf in the library now.

Cute little bugger, don't you think!

The Hedgehog
04-18-2006, 07:26 PM
I have the same problem. My lot is somewhat secluded so I am not averse to using a quiet gun (I will try not to break out the .357). I was wondering what was the best time to catch them out. I am guessing that night and spotlights are the way to go. Anyone know what time is best. If I start early and get bored then the potential for the whole beer and firearm problem exists. You know how that works for folks from Bama.

pmreed
04-18-2006, 11:25 PM
They're mostly night critters, but I often see them early in the morning while I'm having my first cup of coffee. Buggers will mess up a lawn with their rooting around for food.

Phil

gero1
04-19-2006, 06:50 AM
diazinon 5, can't spell it. pronounced die as a non 5. you put it on with a rotary spreader. directions say 2.5 but i use 4-5. do it 4 times a year. won't help you this year. it kills all the grubs and bugs they eat(ticks to) i haven't had moles in years