PDA

View Full Version : 2004 classic 22 question???

Schaf
04-13-2006, 11:22 PM
I might purchase a 2004 22. What should I look for and look out for. Kinda new to all this. I appreciate your help.

Dr. Dan
04-14-2006, 09:50 AM
:spongebob Welcome, Do a search under the Performance Section (and others) and key in words like 22 Classic, or whatever.... and start reading!

You will get a pile of opinions here...just remember they are "Opinions" not necessarily Gospel!!!!

But, I will warn you if ya threaten to "Bottom Paint It" you're gonna get your head handed to ya here!

I have a 22 and love it, probably a little too much... feel free to Private mail me or call with questions sometime... 717-512-3656.

Good Luck

Doc :beer:

yeller
04-14-2006, 02:26 PM
If your not sure what to look for, pay the few hundred bucks and get a professional surveyor look at it. Get the computor checked for hours and fault codes (don't trust the hour meter). Good luck!

LKSD
04-14-2006, 02:59 PM
If your not sure what to look for, pay the few hundred bucks and get a professional surveyor look at it. Get the computor checked for hours and fault codes (don't trust the hour meter). Good luck!

Ditto.. It's a wise move.. Jamie :)

MOP
04-14-2006, 04:40 PM
Get an oil sample from the engine and send it out, it can have good compression and sound great but have an internal componant going and you would never know it! That is untill it breaks!

Phil

Carl C
04-14-2006, 09:08 PM
This boat is only 2 years old and should be in near perfect condition. If it is and if it runs and drives good you should be OK. If it has the 496 HO it should go low 70s (mid 70s on the speedo). I'd give it a good lookover and a good water test and buy it if all seems good. If it's in Chicago it should be a fresh water boat.

Schaf
04-15-2006, 05:17 PM
Thanks everyone! Any ideas of what a good price is for the 2004 aniversery edition?

yeller
04-15-2006, 05:40 PM
Thanks everyone! Any ideas of what a good price is for the 2004 aniversery edition?
Well, now, there's a question I can't refuse to answer. I just bought one (from Chicago, ironically). I feel I got a great deal at 33,6k. Dealer said 56hrs, but I suspected it was higher. Original owner said closer to 80, definately under 100. I'll be getting the computer checked on Monday. Mine also has a Procharger on it and came with an aluminum trailer.
Another member (lsmac00) recently sold his on Ebay for 37,5k. I believe 70hrs with a custom made/painted steel trailer. A few months ago, there was another one, in Florida I think, dealer claimed 19hrs. Sold for 36k with aluminum trailer. Around Sept sometime, another one sold for 30,5k (approx) on Ebay, no trailer. I don't know any particulars on that one. All these boats were the yellow one. If you can track down 'Sue', a registry member and send her an email, she might be willing to tell you what she paid. She just bought a brand new 04 leftover (yellow).

What colour are you looking at? I've personally only seen (used) yellow ones for sale. Awesome looking boat though. Pictures do not due them justice.

Pismo
04-15-2006, 06:10 PM
These 22s seem to go from $50s new to $30s very fast then hold price for years in the $20s.

Dr. Dan
04-16-2006, 03:56 AM

:wavey: Well I think ya have some good ranges listed here... A Super Clean Low Hours Boat is gonna be in the High $30's to Low $40's.... the deal gets sweeter if it has a Trailer or not...

I agree with the Above Comments ... I think they really grow on ya once your eyes adjust to how bright they are... obviously if you are going to purchase an Inspection as reference d earlier is always a great idea, getting Compression and Leak Down Tests... and if ya have the Oil Tested you should have reliaable information about the components ya can't see.

A Moisture meter by a surveyor will also reassure you that the boat was'nt left in the water too much.... alot of the reason some of our boats look as good as they do is that they are Trailer Queens..... they hull has an opportunity to dry out and that is not a bad thing.

All of the boats develop stress cracks but on a 22 specifically look near where your knees would be in the Cockpit area to the right on the Drivers Side, look for any spider cracks at the Corners of the Cockpit where the Glass Curves. Same on the Port side of the Cockpit.

Check the Windshield and at the Rear of the Windshield about where you would step into the Boat...or where you would rest your arm on the Top of the Deck if you were sitting in the Back Seat... this is also a point of Flex if the Boat was Run Hard...

A boat of this age I would hope would show none of these Symptoms, if it does it is representative of a few things...not the least of which is how it mighta been run?:banghead:

The Stringers should show clean,no stress cracks at attachment points atthe hull, or minimum visibility at best... this boat is only 2 years outta production so it should be pretty pristine down there.

Now on the other side of the coin... I have an Older 22 Classic, and it shows wear in these areas, some stress or spider cracks have developed since I owned it...and others were there when I bought the boat. The fact is some I get corrected...others are just cosmetic... I have had no issues with performance related to the Structure of my Hull....actually I have had no issues with the Boat ...they are a great Boats.

Obviously look close at the Rub Rail Area on the boats perimeter...if it is showing alot of dings, scratches etc. then the owner wasn't too careful around docks.

A nice 40th Anniversary Edition is definitely a great entry into the Donzi Family. :beer: Some day I would love to add one to my Stable...

Good Luck and keep us posted.

Doc :spongebob

Schaf
04-19-2006, 02:12 PM
Anyone else have imput on prices?

Patrik Sweden
04-19-2006, 02:18 PM
Anyone else have imput on prices?

Here you have 2 others 22 Classic for sale in Sweden...

http://www.annonsborsen.se/search/view/object/83401/

http://www.annonsborsen.se/search/view/object/6551/

106000 USD each...:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Crazy!