PDA

View Full Version : SEADOGs at Porkey's Landing, May 5-7

Last Tango
04-13-2006, 04:34 PM
http://www.porkyslandingandmarina.com/
(386) 467-2310
Call now and make your reservations! Discussion has been brewing for this event under a different topic. (Donzi Performance Talk, My New '06 22ZX).

Rooms are only $69 a night! Fuel on the water is 93 Octane at Georgetown Marina just a few hundred yards south. And they have a Boat/US discount.

So ante up, load it up, buckle up, and COME ON DOWN!

I called them today and they are currently wide open that weekend.

Leeett'sss... DO IT!!!!!! (Famous line from Animal House)

onesubdrvr
04-13-2006, 04:44 PM
As with all the events, I'll try to be there!!! I like that place!

Depends on the boat situation,.... (??)

Wayne

Speed-Racer
04-13-2006, 11:05 PM
Ummm Yeaeeeaaaa....I got the memo, so I'll be there OK?

...Mark you waste no time

Speed-Racer
04-14-2006, 07:18 PM
We sure have come a looong way since the very first offcial SEA DOGS event at Porkies!

Last Tango
04-14-2006, 08:32 PM
Thanks for posting that, Speedy! I have the original hard copy photo of that right here next to my computer.
Let's see if we can have as many people there THIS time, as we did then (about half the folks were still "recovering" from the party the night before when that photo was taken).

CrackerJack
04-15-2006, 08:00 AM
I have another pic from our lunch at the famous location.....:biggrin:
(Click on thumbnail to view Ted's tasty snack.)

Mr X
04-17-2006, 07:54 PM
And lets not forget the nice photo of CrackerJack and family, taken at the first SeaDogs event at Porkey's
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8126&d=1102304679

smokediver
04-18-2006, 04:35 PM
who is going ? I haven't made it up there but am seriously goin to try and make this one ...

Last Tango
04-18-2006, 10:45 PM
Looks to me like 6 boats, so far. Three of them have already made room reservations.

sweet 16 1966
04-19-2006, 06:59 AM
I have to be in Tampa on the 4th. I could drive down with the boat and back up on Friday. Seriously considering.

CrackerJack
04-28-2006, 08:27 PM
Who's coming to Porkey's next weekend.:alligator
There are two of us, CrackerJack & Speed Racer.

pmreed
04-28-2006, 08:47 PM
Seriously considering coming up for this. I'd be alone; anybody need a ride?

Phil

sweet 16 1966
04-29-2006, 07:13 AM
I'm planning on towing mine down to Orlando late Tuesday or Wed.
I have to go to Tampa on Thursday night so...Friday am. I plan on seeing you all at Porkey's. Phil, I would like a ride anyway!

CrackerJack
04-29-2006, 07:27 AM
Sweet 16, do you need a place to park your Donzi? We live just north of Orlando on the way to porkeys.

sweet 16 1966
04-29-2006, 11:00 PM
He#@ YEA! If you would not mind! I will be coming through Tuesday afternoon or early evening. What time would be good for you?

CrackerJack
04-30-2006, 06:18 AM
Anytime someone will probably be home. We live about one mile west of I-4 at the Sanford exit, easy to find. I'll email you my phone number and address.

Cuda
04-30-2006, 06:50 AM
Russ, where do you plan on launching?

sweet 16 1966
04-30-2006, 07:33 AM
Much Thanks Jack!
Joe, likely will drive to Porkey's Friday am and launch from there.
Where are you launching?

Last Tango
04-30-2006, 08:15 AM
I'll be there Friday afternoon. Towing down from Jax and launching right there at Porkey's. Room #5, 2 nights.

sweet 16 1966
04-30-2006, 12:43 PM
Good thing Fla. allows permissible weather to enjoy being outside. I need to run mine before pulling it 450 miles. Here is what I am up against.
60 degrees with chance of shouers. Cloudy all day! Some northerners would
laugh but that is cold at top end!

ChromeGorilla
04-30-2006, 05:28 PM
So what is the plan for the weekend? What are the destinations each day?

CrackerJack
04-30-2006, 05:43 PM
Go down the river......eat, go up the river.... eat. Burn some cheap gas
....eat some more. :beer: I'll default to the Supreme SeaDog for the official
itinerary, however this is one of the nicest areas on the St. Johns river
and it is always enjoyable whichever way we go.

ChromeGorilla
04-30-2006, 05:50 PM
Ya ya ya.... I was wondering if the weather is hot on Saturday if y'all would raft up at the Glen possibly......

Cuda
04-30-2006, 05:52 PM
I think we have Kyle next weekend, so we will probably just make a daytrip out of it. We'll put in at Deland, and run to Porkey's. It's a beautiful run from Deland to Lake George, if anyone wants to run with us.

ChromeGorilla
04-30-2006, 09:28 PM
So whats the attendance looking like for this Seadog event?
Mark
Jack / Brandon
Russ
Phil?
Cuda / Deb -- daytrippin on Sat possibly
smokediver?
Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?
anyother peeps

CG?

Last Tango
05-01-2006, 09:34 AM
Standard SEADOG Event Schedule One: Eat. Party. Boat south. Silver Glen Springs. Party. Boat north. Eat. Gator Landing. Party. Sleep. Repeat as necessary.

Aye Candy says she is only a maybe for the weekend 'cause she is on business trip this week and may need some personal down time before going back to work next Monday. I will be there regardless.

Anybody who brings a boat, or not, can party and ride all weekend with us anyway. Besides, you will have lots of "help" with the boat either way. Can't go wrong there. Great opportunity to check out other boats and ride in them.
No excuses for "my boat isn't ready."

florida gator
05-01-2006, 03:17 PM
No excuses for "my boat isn't ready."

My trailer isn't ready. Thought I had a line on one and learned today it isn't even for sale. Need to shoot an email to Ace Trailers and get a quote and est. on time frame.

pmreed
05-01-2006, 07:48 PM
Just got reminded I have a prior obligation. This Saturday is Astronomy Day, and I'm slated to work the Orlando Science Center Saturday afternoon and evening giving talks and running telescopes. I enjoy sharing the skies with others, but I wish Astronomy Day was on some other weekend:(

Phil

Last Tango
05-02-2006, 04:12 PM
I love astronomy as well. You are doing a good thing.
I will be doing my share on Saturday night with astronomy. Aye Candy wants a sunset cruise in Lake George. I promised her the sun, the moon, and the stars. She particularly likes stars because they remind her of her favorite thing... diamonds.

gcarter
05-02-2006, 08:16 PM
We may come have dinner with you guys Saturday night.
So when and where should we show up?

sweet 16 1966
05-02-2006, 08:58 PM
Crackerjack, I have parked the boat at Tavares for the week. I was running late today and it worked out. Just arrived in Orlando --long day! Thanks very much for offering my boat a resting place! See you soon!

Last Tango
05-03-2006, 07:55 AM
George,
Social Hour usually begins about 6-ish in front of the rooms on the grassy knoll. There are nice picnic tables in front of the rooms and we can gather there and share lies and bad repair tips until we decide where we want to eat.

sweet 16 1966
05-04-2006, 07:10 PM
#9#9#9#9#9#9#9#9
see you there. Will be alone as is usually the case but hey, look on the bright side, I never hear those words
"SLOW DOWN!!"

Its not that fast but in a small ride, it feels fast! One day!!

Anyone coming in early Friday?

gcarter
05-04-2006, 07:36 PM
#9#9#9#9#9#9#9#9
see you there. Will be alone as is usually the case but hey, look on the bright side, I never hear those words
"SLOW DOWN!!"
Its not that fast but in a small ride, it feels fast! One day!!
Anyone coming in early Friday?
Elaine enjoyed her ride in it in March!
In fact, she was grateful.

gcarter
05-04-2006, 07:38 PM
George,
Social Hour usually begins about 6-ish in front of the rooms on the grassy knoll. There are nice picnic tables in front of the rooms and we can gather there and share lies and bad repair tips until we decide where we want to eat.
We'll do our best to see you there about 6'ish.
Not a promise, but we'll try hard.
P.S.;
I should have the engine back in Saturday!! :wavey:

Last Tango
05-04-2006, 08:22 PM
I should be there in the very early afternoon on Friday. I have a couple things to do in the morning before I leave. About a two hour tow down to Porkey's. Actually faster by boat. HAHAHA!

onesubdrvr
05-04-2006, 08:46 PM
Hey,

Y'all have fun this weekend, I sure will miss it, this is one of my favorite venues.

I'd like to come, ride or no ride, but I've gotta get us moved into the new house this weekend, and hopefully get my fence up.

Take care, boat safe, have fun
Wayne

sweet 16 1966
05-04-2006, 09:31 PM
Good luck with the move Wayne!
George, Tell Elaine I could have used her navigational skills when I left Mt Dora and headed for the cut through to Lake Griffin! I missed it the first time!

ChromeGorilla
05-04-2006, 11:24 PM
Hey, LT.... whre do you guys think you'll be Saturday afternoon?

Last Tango
05-05-2006, 06:35 AM
Somewhere between Porkey's and Gator Landing.
(904) 534-9928 cell

Cuda
05-06-2006, 09:17 AM
I'm headed to Porkey's right now. I decided to trailer up there, so we don't have Kyle in case something goes wrong, we won't be forty miles from the trailer. :)

Cuda
05-06-2006, 01:44 PM
We drove up there, but they must have left for parts unknown. I saw Mark and Russ's vehicles there, and Russ's boat. I figured they must have gone for a short jaunt in Mark's boat, and they wouldn't be gone long, so we ordered lunch and waited, since we had no idea which direction to go. It hasn't rained here but once in three months, and as soon as I got out of my truck, I felt some drops. It never did rain at Porky's, but I could see if pouring at the south end of the lake. We waited about an hour, then decided to head back home. I didn't want to take Kyle if there was a chance of inclement weather. The wind was blowing pretty hard. Just before we left, two fisherman came in and said they got caught in that rainstorm coming back from near Silver Glen.

Well, it's a nice ride up there anyway, and we had a good lunch. Kyle enjoyed his grouper fingers, and Debbie had there "small" burger.:eek!:

Cuda
05-06-2006, 01:47 PM
I tried calling Last Tango............or so I thought. I didn't have my glasses on, and called the number I had written on one of my business cards. A lady answered the phone, and I asked for Mark. She said there was no Mark there, but there was a Jim. I just now sat down and pulled the card out of my shirt pocket. Come to find out, I had called Catch 22!:banghead: :biggrin.:

Cuda
05-06-2006, 02:00 PM
There was a man and lady there in a float plane eating lunch. I was wondering how they were going to get in the plane and get it started before the wind blew them ashore. They were out there a while, finally I walked out to see if I could help them. I held the wing while he cast off, and got in the cockpit. He started up and motored away.:shades:

5-5 008.avi (http://www.zippyvideos.com/4569411995059506/5-5_008/*cuda)

5-5 008.avi (http://www.zippyvideos.com/4569411995059506/5-5_008/*cuda)

BUIZILLA
05-06-2006, 03:55 PM
Is that Ted's Excursion??

Cuda
05-06-2006, 04:24 PM
It might be. I've never seen his truck. It was a triple axle trailer.

gcarter
05-06-2006, 10:46 PM
Yes.:cool:

gcarter
05-06-2006, 10:51 PM
Elaine and I went up and had dinner with the crew.
Let's see......
Last Tango
Brandon
Russ
Ted and kathy
The excitement for the night was an air boat that sunk at the dock and another air boat attempted to drag it ashore.
All of this being critiqued by a bunch of drunks from the bar.;)

pmreed
05-07-2006, 07:08 AM
I should have chucked Astronomy day and joined you guys on the river. Too many clouds day and evening for any worthwhile observing. My voice got hoarse giving the same talks and answering the same questions all day and evening. When you can set up a scope on the sun or an interesting object, you get the ,"ohh, look at that"; and just a few questions...much easier.

Phil

sweet 16 1966
05-07-2006, 03:32 PM
George,
George,
There was more after you left. The Lycome (sp) engine was not powerful enough to pull up the sunk boat so they summoned the expert who came from the marshes on the east side of Lake George. His airboat with the 1972 Caddy 500 engine easily pulled the boat to safety. BTW, The boat is on the front cover of 3/06 Airboat World (didn't know this mag exists).
As the story unwound last night, Jeff and Audrey Clifton were idling their airboat near the long dock and hit another one of those darn pilings (like the one that got my prop!) and just turned over. They were packed with all of he normal paraphernalia we all have -and then some- so it was wet or lost.
I took some pics like I do of this American Made- Diamondback built boat named
"KEEPIN' EM' WET" !
The mag had an article showing Jeff and Audrey tied the knot recently in a small ceremony. Jeff was said to have pulled up in true airboat fashion to the ceremony.
OK enough of that! It was just the prelude to my almost having to go out and settle one he#@ of a marital dispute. (same couple! #10) I am sure Mark and Ted must have herd some of this!!! Anyway, I got to sleep finally around 1:00 and arrived in Atl at 2:00 this pm.
Thanks to all for another enjoyable event with some fine SEADOGS! Tune in for the more adventure as they unwind at our next event -ANGEL AID!

Last Tango
05-07-2006, 03:38 PM
What an AWESOME weekend!!!!

Okay it did rain just once, and we did get wet, but it came at a time when we were anchored soundly in Silver Glen Springs and had been there about an hour and a half and were getting a little toasty anyway. Typical Florida shower. It threaten for about 20 minutes, rained for about 20 minutes, then dried up in about 20 minutes. The Glen was busy but not overcrowded.
We left Porkey's at about 10:30 AM. Russ rode with me because I knew the water was going to be rough out on the lake with westerly's in the 15 knot range. Speed Racer road with Mr. and Mrs. X in the 28ZX Scorpion. We got to the Glen in less than 30 minutes, got excellent parking on the sand bar, and enjoyed the cool crystal clear water of the spring. Lots of fun folks there and plenty of interesting boats to look at. Oh, yeah, a nice number of thong bikinis, including the boat next to us. The Peanut Man made regular rounds with his boatload of roasted peanuts, boiled peanuts, shaved ice, cones, soft drinks, hot dogs, sunglasses, float tubes, and various and sundry other items.
We stayed there almost 3 hours. The storm passd through in the middle of that so we were not inhibited by weather in any way.
Finally, we ran back to Porkey's to let Russ get his boat, and then all together, we ran north on the river in the more protected water. Three Donzi's side-by-side for an hour, running the curvy river and enjoying the perfect weather. We somehow missed Cuda and the sea plane, but we did get back to Porkey's around 2:00 or so before heading for Palatka.
We ran north to Palatka and tied up at the dock at Gator landing. We sat outside under the shady cabana tables and watched the river, the boats, and a couple young gators patrolling the shoreline. While we were there, a boatload of teens came zooming by and two of the guys decided to jump out of the boat and swim to the dock. We shouted to them that there were gators around the dock and you should have seen them swimming at high speed back out toward the boat that eventually circled around and picked them up. HAHAHAHAHA!
Saturday evening, George and Elaine were waiting for us when we returned. We pulled the boats out, tidied things up, played with our wireless highspeed internet connections that had no signal because Porkey's really IS in the middle of nowhere, and then went to dinner.
We ate and watched all the local evening dinner entertainment that Porkey's had provided. First was a guy who launced his air boat with much engine revving and snorting and propwash and propeller noise (but very little actual movement past the end of his trailer), and then within minutes swamped it at the end of the dock. So then another airboat launched and attempted to tow the sunken airboat back to shore. This took quite some time and a lot of roaring engines and propwash and propeller noise and still very little movement from either airboat. A third airboat came up the river and attempted to assist as well. Now ALL of this is happening on a pitch black moonless night, high winds, white caps at the dock, and a large cadre of very drunk spectators who poured out of the Wild Hog Saloon to watch the going-ons, standing on the dock offering comments and slurrrrd speach advice. It was a total hoot to observe. Later that night two of the drunks got into a furniture throwing fist fight in the room next door to the Mr & Mrs. X's, but I apparantly slept throught it all.
Today, Sweet16 got an early departure for Georgia, the X's and I had a nice breakfast on the screened porch at the restaurant at Porkey's, hugs all around, and we headed home.
I took the time to scope out the Sprague Bed & Breakfast and the docks at Three Banana's Restaurant all on the shores of Cresent Lake. We have a winner, folks, in the new destination for lunch runs category. And for those ladies who find Porkey's to be a little on the raw side, I present the quaint and luxurious Sprague Hotel.
See you all REAL SOON, again!

Mr X
05-07-2006, 04:42 PM
Very well said Mark!
Thank you Russ for the fine camera work
Marks 22ZX runs like a 26ZX! Russ's 1966 16 Classic is beatifull and haul's A$$!
Now for some pics!

Cuda
05-07-2006, 04:58 PM
I'd really like to make that run from Porky's to Palatka. How far is it? Is that where the picture of the long floating dock was taken?

Mr X
05-07-2006, 05:02 PM
Cuda, yes thats the place. The run is about 40 miles. It is an awesome run!

BUIZILLA
05-07-2006, 05:51 PM
Mark, Cuda and I checked out 3 Banana's a few weeks back.. the water inside the docks is VERY shallow... one guy jumped off the back of his boat, and PUSHED it into a slip and never got his belt wet... great eat's and atmoshere though.

JH

Cuda
05-07-2006, 06:41 PM
Cuda, yes thats the place. The run is about 40 miles. It is an awesome run!
Ted, is that forty miles in each direction, or forty total?

Mr X
05-07-2006, 06:52 PM
Cuda, thats each way.

sweet 16 1966
05-07-2006, 08:49 PM
Cuda, sorry we missed you. We came through around 2:30 or so from the
Glen. Its nice there with the clear water and plenty of people watching going on. The river run seemed like 20 min. but Mark said it was an hour.
Boat time seems to fly by!
Here are some more pics. One is of the resturant and you can see the vantage point we had to look out over the river. The 40 foot Sea Ray pulled up after we did. They mentioned having to rescue a Hobie Cat who's mast broke in the am race and injured the occupants who were sent to the hospital.
We missed the sailboat race in the am and headed to the springs first. Good idea Mark.

Cuda
05-07-2006, 09:09 PM
Russ, one of the reasons I didn't think you'd be gone long, is I figured you would have taken your boat. I bet you could have had fun in that 16 coming across Lake George in that wind. It would be like deja vu all over again. :) We might run up to the Glen next weekend, but if we do, I'll probably put in at Astor, and most likely take the fishboat. It's a lot more user friendly at the Glen for getting in and out of.

sweet 16 1966
05-09-2006, 07:14 PM
I may have made it across but would not have been able to keep up with the big boats. Marks boat rode well across some big chop.