PDA

View Full Version : Donzi Sticker replacement???

LSUTIGERS74
04-11-2006, 09:31 PM
I have a 1990 Donzi 30' Black Widow, and on the inside near the rear seats there are some stickers stating Donzi Black Widow. On one side this sticker is peeled off partially, I am looking for a replacement. I might just peel off both sides just too make the boat look symetrical (from the inside), but would rather replace the original. Can I get this from a dealer or would this have to be custom to replace the original.

This might just be some OCD kicking in for perfection.

joel3078
04-11-2006, 09:59 PM
I don't think much of anything black widow related is available from Donzi factory. Just too old and not enough widows were made. If the pic attatched is what your talking about, have a sign shop make you new ones. A 1500 watt hair drier will heat up the old ones so you can peel them off. Take good pics 1st of your existing stickers so you can repostion them during the replacement. While your at it, the black widow stickers on the back end of the hull by the chrome vents may be in need of replacement also. The stickers are good but the black wears off/fades. Have the sign shop give you a bid on doing both jobs at the same time Probably save money in the long run doing it this way. Pics are from 24' widow - your 30' is about the same.

LSUTIGERS74
04-11-2006, 10:32 PM
The one's in question are identical to the one's in pic#1, I will check with the sign shop to see if they can duplicate. I think I saw a post on here a couple of days ago about a good sign shop, I will have to check them out. Thanks for the quick reply. It is nice to see someone else on the forum with a similar boat, since not many people tend to own them.

Donzigo
04-12-2006, 07:58 AM
FYI: The Black Widow was a boat design that was forwarded just during the change of ownership from the Genth/Staples era to the OMC era. OMC went ahead and produced a few of these designs; but, their interest was in other directions. (They even stopped production of the Classics for a short time, and moved the molds to a sister company, until they decided what they wanted to do with the Donzi Corporation and where it fit in their corporate strategy. I think the molds went to Goshen, Wis/Il/In ?. not sure which state.)

IMHO: It seems to me that this boat design might have been too much of a departure from the Donzi designs at the time, perhaps too avant garde, if you will and therefore they didn't continue the design. Also, with the introduction of their OMC Cobra & King Cobra engine combos in these boats, might not have been well accepted in the performance boat market. These drive, especially the King Cobra, seem to be good technology; but, the "black engines" just had too big of a lead in the market.

joel3078
04-12-2006, 09:07 AM
We're all here to help each other out LSU. Welcome again the the Donzi sickness. Another guy here, Tom/Fishing Sucks, also has a 24' Widow like mine. I'd love to drive a 30' like you have. The 30' is probably even more rare to find nowadays. In any case, there are avant garde and tend to have a love it or hate it look to them. I like being different from everyone else so the Black Widow fits great.

joel3078
04-12-2006, 09:25 AM
FYI: The Black Widow was a boat design that was forwarded just during the change of ownership from the Genth/Staples era to the OMC era. OMC went ahead and produced a few of these designs; but, their interest was in other directions. (They even stopped production of the Classics for a short time, and moved the molds to a sister company, until they decided what they wanted to do with the Donzi Corporation and where it fit in their corporate strategy. I think the molds went to Goshen, Wis/Il/In ?. not sure which state.)

Ya I know this is taking LSU's thread for a spin but it's good history!!!
Goshen is Indianna. Dunno if it's true or not, but I've been told that during the early part of the OMC Donzi era that Chris Craft employees (either current or ex) were the guys that actually built the hulls of the black widows. Chris Craft was in or by Goshen Indiana during that time and they also dabbled in go fast boats during the late 80's. Remember Sonny Crockett's first Miami Vice boat? Chris Craft Stinger 39' Sweet looking boat! Don't kid yourself, the Black Widow is no OMC cheaply done boat. They are built like a tank and the cuddy part of the boat is very nicely appointed. Even more so than some of the brand new boats we saw at this years boat show!

Donzigo
04-12-2006, 06:51 PM
These threads seem to go where they need to go, and since there aren't many threads abut the Black Widows, perhaps we can ask for a little lattitude.

The OMC corporation took over the plant which is accross the highway from the Sarasota Airport, in a little town called Televast. Dick Genth and compnay had built a state of the art facility, complete with it's own testing pond. The Donzi plnat also had a cool entrance and waiting room, the walls were light grey and there was a red 16 Donzi on it's side too. The railings going up to the secnd floor were also red, looked like a Ferrari plant. The Chris Craft plant was in the facility that Donzi is in today. Well, when OMC took over, they began production of Chris Crafts at the Donzi plant and Donzi was somewhat morphed, awaiting a new business plan. There were many Donzis in molds, in production, and in the shipping areas. I went down and found out that the plant would sell you any one of them for a pretty good price, just pick it out. The Black Widows were in that bunce too and some were on order from dealers. Of course, the planned engines were Mercurys and many were already in the stock room. So, OMC finished the production run along with starting with the Chris Crafts; hence, you had Chris Craft employees building Donzis at the Chris Crafts plant, putting in Mercury engines and parts from non-OMC suppliers, and being paid wages by OMC. My 1989 Z-33 came out of the mold in August of that year and was one of those boats. I bought the boat in 2003 and I always thought that if I had known, I would probably have seen the boat that I would one day own, on one of my trips to the plants.

This story is certainly up for edification by anyone knowing more details; but, as I understand it, it's all true.

Cuda
04-12-2006, 07:13 PM
I've always thought the Black Widow was a very hot looking boat. Nothing else looks like it, or ever has. What is the deadrise on them?

FISHIN SUCKS
04-12-2006, 11:20 PM
If you find any decals or someone does a good job re-doing them, let me know. Mine are in good shape right now, but just in case!?! As far as the 'Blackwidow' on the sides, mine appear to be paint or gelcoat...no stickers here!

Donzigo, can you write a book or something? You just cleared up a lot of questions I have had since 2002 since I bought our widow. Some people had told me that our boat may have been built in Goshen (Amish Power!) even though there is a decal on the dash that says Televast, FL. I appreciate your post, wish I could find more details and statistics.

joel3078
04-13-2006, 09:19 AM
All - stickers - take very good quality digital photos of your stickers now, and record the overall length and height. A sign shop can take your digital photo and mess with it if need be till it's to your size & liking and then make you a new set of stickers. Pay attention to thickness of the material used to make the stickers. I got a sweet deal on new registration stickers - you know the cool custom ones. The deal was good as the thickness of the vinyl was real thin. First time with the buffer on the boat, the stickers started to melt down and flare out on the edges. New registration stickers are easy to replace. You get what ya pay for, duh! On the flip side, the original Donzi and Black Widow stickers are super thick and take one hell of a punishment from buffing.

Cuda - I am pretty sure the Widow deadrise is 22° - same as a Z25 hull. I can confirm this for ya if you want. Super stable boat! Hell Ron White could even drive drunk and not screw up. The only thing I have found close to the Widow is a Stingray 23 footer. Nice, boat, motor, etc. however the cuddy part is a joke. Small & 5lbs of cheap chit in a 3lb spot.
http://www.stingrayboats.com/products/models06/models.php?model=230SX&pic=230sx_running06.jpg&action=6

Donzigo - Great history lesson! The more we find out about our rigs, the more we like it. We love the WTF is that look Widows get when we are on the water. My boat also has a goofy beginning to it like yours. First year of its life was a model/picture boat for Oldsmobile - their introduction of the Bravada. My boat & trailer is behind a Bravada getting towed down the road in 1990. Don't know what the tow rating of a Bravada is but they were for sure overloading it. 2nd year boat sat - bad economy and luxury tax back then. 3rd year it finally gets purchased and then all hell broke loose for the original owner. I'll post the rest over on your other thread.

LSU - I'll send ya snap in carpet pics soon. Hang in there.

joel3078
04-13-2006, 06:25 PM
LSU - file attached is the only carpet pic I have. It truly does have a cool black widow text and spider graphic done into the carpet. This is from someone else's boat. I have the carpet but never put it in. I like the simple cleanup of a fiberglass floor. Just spray it down and let it dry. The water drains back via two ports that are on either side of the back seat.

Ed Donnelly
04-13-2006, 11:55 PM
Now that is one Classy looking 22'...........Ed