PDA

View Full Version : Does your engine hatch vibrate?

Carl C
04-11-2006, 05:12 PM
Mine does. I've put pieces of split rubber hose on the door which works but it doesn't last long. It seems like there should be some kind of rubber stop. Mine can't be the only one that vibrates; how do you fix this?:anchor:

tiger lily
04-11-2006, 07:16 PM
ive never really noticed mine vibrating, but it has flown off in the detroit river before, they do float for a quick second, enough to get it back if you see it leave!!

undertaker
04-11-2006, 07:34 PM
I put white weather stripping in the groove all the way around the engine hatch opening, that keeps her quiet. Home Depot is were I purchased the stripping went with white to blend in with the boat it is almost invisble...:biggrin.: :biggrin.: . Dr. Dan also has the same set up that is were I got the idea:idea:

Undertaker:biggrin.: :wavey:

Carl C
04-11-2006, 07:49 PM
I put white weather stripping in the groove all the way around the engine hatch opening, that keeps her quiet. Home Depot is were I purchased the stripping went with white to blend in with the boat it is almost invisble...:biggrin.: :biggrin.: . Dr. Dan also has the same set up that is were I got the idea:idea:
Undertaker:biggrin.: :wavey: I'll check out the weatherstripping section next time I'm at Home Depot.:anchor:

Dr. Dan
04-11-2006, 07:51 PM
Undertaker:biggrin.: :wavey:

:wavey: Funny ... I was just discussing this with the TripMeister. Yes Ed is correct...get some Refrigerator Weatherstripping white blends in well against white Gel in the Drain Trough Around the Hatch...mine has been in for over 4 years and no chaffing, and no vibration. I would also consider the same solution for the other hatches in the Locker Covers, Etc. :smash:

I actually do a review of my Engine Compartment a few times a year... I crawl in there...with a Flash Light and I inspect all fittings, hoses and Clamps for Chaffing from Engine Vibration. You will be very surprised how many items just resting against an unfinished threaded bolt, or some other sharp edge...and the damage it can cause. I sleeve things with HWH Insulation if its an oil or water line, I buy the colored or black corrigated plastic tubing at the Auto Parts Store and it works well.

All of these items get more exagerated the more hours you run, and the more intense your time is on the water. Since the Repower...my average cruise speed increased by 10 to 15 mph at least...this means I am hitting more at higher speeds which just increases all of the fun & games of Cracks,Chaffing & the Continual Maintenance and Inspection to protect your investment.:spongebob

Doc of Hoses & Grommets :smash: