PDA

View Full Version : Awakening of the Donzi

Carl C
04-11-2006, 02:57 PM
I got the boat out for the first time this season. Had it up to 74.6 mph; a new personal best! I'm hitting 74 pretty easily now and it is still 100% stock. I'll put the exhaust tips on in a couple weeks and see if I can hit 76. (gps readings of course):) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

undertaker
04-11-2006, 03:11 PM
Put the CMI EXHAUST on forget those stinken tips:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
sounds great, pick mine up from Jamie @ Lakeside next week hope to get her on the water soon after:beer:

Undertaker:biggrin: :propeller

Carl C
04-11-2006, 04:05 PM
sounds great, pick mine up from Jamie @ Lakeside next week hope to get her on the water soon after:beer:
Undertaker:biggrin: :propeller The money's not there right now; I have to send Uncle Sam $8,000 this week. Ouch! Also don't want to lose the Q&Q. Good luck with yours.

roadtrip se
04-11-2006, 04:59 PM
no problems on the 500 efi..

boldts
04-11-2006, 06:06 PM
Nothing like that first run after a long what seems like years winter nap up here in the North. You finally get to test maybe an upgrade you performed in the skunk works shop called your garage or that new piece of performance enhancing item you saved your income tax refund for and had installed by the local professional. Maybe you didn't do anything but put a new coat of wax on your girl. As your getting ready to go out on the lake at the launch ramp and it seems like everyone there has to talk to you about your Donzi. You just politely answer their questions and gleam from ear to ear. Then you turn the key and bring her to life. She breathes fire from the exhaust tips. Silent Choice? What's that? Today nothing sounds better or makes your heart beat stronger than the sweet music being made by your engine. As you idle out of the marina and begin to put the throttle down. All is right in the world again!

tiger lily
04-11-2006, 07:22 PM
what lake were you on today?? mine still needs some work but thats going to be another post.

undertaker
04-11-2006, 07:28 PM
The money's not there right now; I have to send Uncle Sam $8,000 this week. Ouch! Also don't want to lose the Q&Q. Good luck with yours.

Understand the Uncle Sam problem, I have the same problem:biggrin: :biggrin: . You can still keep your Q&Q and have the CMI'S installed you just need to purchase there set up for a few more $$$. Jaime @ Lakeside will take care of all of that when I am ready to pull the trigger on the exhaust. Have a great summer...:biggrin:

Undertaker:fire:

Dr. Dan
04-11-2006, 07:59 PM
no problems on the 500 efi..

:bonk: :spit: :banghead: That's Why Your Stinkin Boat Is Soooooooooo Slow Boy! Get Rid Dem Sissyfied Silent Choice thinger Ma Jigs and get some fuel flowin in dat damn motor...Boy! (Explicit Language intended to be read in a voice by Buford T Justice of James Bond fame in Live in Let Die)

:wavey: Sorry I had too... cuz I can!

:D Doc of Protagonism And No Fear of Being Too Silent :D

undertaker
04-11-2006, 08:25 PM
:bonk: :spit: :banghead: That's Why Your Stinkin Boat Is Soooooooooo Slow Boy! Get Rid Dem Sissyfied Silent Choice thinger Ma Jigs and get some fuel flowin in dat damn motor...Boy! (Explicit Language intended to be read in a voice by Buford T Justice of James Bond fame in Live in Let Die)

Thread hijacker...:biggrin: :biggrin: :yes: :yes:

Undertaker:odie: :fire:

LSUTIGERS74
04-11-2006, 09:24 PM
I agree with BOLDTS, on the cranking of the exhaust, I have a Donzi that I have never seen go in the water. I have been fixing one of the damn engines since I bought it, but I know what the other engine sounds like and I get chill bumps when it cranks (although it is in drive way). Can't wait to see the heads turn come early May when both engines will be up and going.

p729lws
04-11-2006, 10:26 PM
[QUOTE=Dr. Dan(Explicit Language intended to be read in a voice by Buford T Justice of James Bond fame in Live in Let Die)[/QUOTE]

Buford T Justice was the cop in Smokey and the Bandit. The cop in Live in Let Die was Sheriff J.W. Pepper. :outtahere

Dan

roadtrip se
04-12-2006, 07:19 AM

Them thar CMI pipes are flowing with the best of em and quiet and smooth as molasses in the hollers. Helps me and Daisy stay away from Sherrif Coltrane when the General has seen too much heat..

This thread continues to see constant derailment, we now return you to your regularily scheduled programing.

LKSD
04-12-2006, 07:26 AM
Undertaker:biggrin: :propeller

She should be ready for you.. I got the other boats out from in front of it yesterday.. The goodies will be smiling back at your boat in no time :) :) Jamie / Lakeside

Hey, with the cost of the CMI system maybe we could go halves... Half on your boat & half on mine, that way its a more affordable unit from them! Just kiddin' :jestera: :jestera:

Carl C
04-12-2006, 07:45 AM
tiger lily, I was on Lake Oakland, my usual hang-out; but only on week-days. I work week-ends when the lake is full of tubers and water cops anyway. Mods will come in due time and I'd like to do more than just the exhaust. I'm not sure what way I'll go yet; a lot of good stuff is coming out for the 496 HO. Anyway, I'll have to settle for 75 or so mph this year which will still whup most of yo asses!!:yes: :fire:

roadtrip se
04-12-2006, 08:23 AM
Anyway, I'll have to settle for 75 or so mph this year which will still whup most of yo asses!!:yes: :fire:
but plan on seeing the rear view of the Daisy Dukes through a slight intermitent rain shower, aka, The Rooster, when running with me brother!

Hello Ilmor?

undertaker
04-12-2006, 11:04 AM
Ilmor's SUCK..:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: I prefer the sound of big block merc's... Although both would look nice in the engine room of a 22 classic:biggrin: :biggrin:

Undertaker:puke:

undertaker
04-12-2006, 11:05 AM
She should be ready for you.. I got the other boats out from in front of it yesterday.. The goodies will be smiling back at your boat in no time :) :) Jamie / Lakeside
Hey, with the cost of the CMI system maybe we could go halves... Half on your boat & half on mine, that way its a more affordable unit from them! Just kiddin' :jestera: :jestera:

See ya next week...:bighug:

Undertaker:pimp:

roadtrip se
04-12-2006, 11:16 AM
Ilmor's SUCK..:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: I prefer the sound of big block merc's... Although both would look nice in the engine room of a 22 classic:biggrin: :biggrin:
Undertaker:puke:

I think I could get over that sound in exchange for an 800 pound weight reduction over a big block AND 625 horsepower to boot! And it even comes in my favorite color, RED!

What it doesn't come in is AFFORDABLE, so I guess I'll just suffer through another couple of seasons with this lousy, no good, big block blue motor, and the incessant noise it makes.

C'mon one of you 496HO guys, step up to the CMIs, I'm waiting to see the world's first true 77-80 mile per hour stock power Classics; not just a blip on a GPS!

Owner of an "87 mile per hour" Classic, it's done it once or twice at least!

Patti
04-12-2006, 12:47 PM
man that sounds a lot like a fasttrucker SPANKING ;) :p
well if your into that sort a thing :rolleyes: ;) :p :rlol:
Did someone say spanking? http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e40/pottyheadless/spank.gif http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e40/pottyheadless/spank.gif http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e40/pottyheadless/spank.gif
:)

ChromeGorilla
04-12-2006, 04:28 PM
I'm waiting to see the world's first true 77-80 mile per hour stock power Classics; not just a blip on a GPS!

A new 22 Shelby will do it for ya....... solid 77-79 MPH 496HO boat...... they have the raised x dim.....

roadtrip se
04-12-2006, 04:39 PM
A new 22 Shelby will do it for ya....... solid 77-79 MPH 496HO boat...... they have the raised x dim.....
one of these may make an appearance for the AOTH VI. Man, I hope so! Time to get it off of paper and into the water in some real world conditions. I'm very curious to see what that raised x-dim will do to the CG and the way the boat handles and flat out runs!

Want to have some real fun? Show up with a Shelby packing a 525 with that fancy raised x-dim.
:eek!: :eek!: :eek!:

Show me the money! AOTH is not to be missed this year...

As Matty says, Spring is in the air, so tune'em up and move'em out!

Carl C
04-12-2006, 05:24 PM
a blip on a GPS!
Owner of an "87 mile per hour" Classic, it's done it once or twice at least! Like when you swing the handheld forward with your arm? I know you got me with that blackhawk drive and I sure wouldn't want to be right behind you. I miss the roosters I could shoot with my outboard.

ChromeGorilla
04-12-2006, 07:05 PM
Just FYI.... RTSE ain't got a BH.... he has a 500EFI boat with a shorty to boot..... :biggrin: :biggrin:

Cuda
04-12-2006, 07:29 PM
Somebody mention roosters?

Carl C
04-12-2006, 07:35 PM
Just FYI.... RTSE ain't got a BH.... he has a 500EFI boat with a shorty to boot..... :biggrin: :biggrin: No sh!t, I'm looking forward to seeing that. How fast is it?:hyper:

tiger lily
04-12-2006, 07:59 PM
im lucky at the best if ill see 60mph on the best of the best days :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown:

undertaker
04-12-2006, 08:07 PM
No sh!t, I'm looking forward to seeing that. How fast is it?:hyper:

Not as fast as Dr. Dan's 22 classic:biggrin.: :biggrin.: :tongue: :tongue:

Undertaker:banghead:

gold-n-rod
04-12-2006, 08:11 PM
im lucky at the best if ill see 60mph on the best of the best days :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown:

Turn that frown upside down, Matt. 60 is nuttin' to be ashamed of. 90% of the boats out there will never see 60. Enjoy and remember, there's always someone out there who can afford to be faster than you. Love the one you're with.

roadtrip se
04-12-2006, 10:17 PM
Not as fast as Dr. Dan's 22 classic:biggrin.: :biggrin.: :tongue: :tongue:
Undertaker:banghead:

One thing is for sure, when the 500 twins show at a rally, we typically run in clean water brother! And the Docster hasn't pulled me yet, but I don't exactly pull him either. But then again, I'll be doing a tech inspection on that "stock" 500 yet again in Kentucky. Funny thing, he seems to idle a little higher and sound a little dryer around the docks. Hmmm.

Carl, I run 79-81. Make time to come down to AOTH this year. All trash talk aside, we have a blast, and if you come this year, you won't miss another one!

Dr. Dan
04-12-2006, 11:44 PM
One thing is for sure, when the 500 twins show at a rally, we typically run in clean water brother! And the Docster hasn't pulled me yet, but I don't exactly pull him either. But then again, I'll be doing a tech inspection on that "stock" 500 yet again in Kentucky. Funny thing, he seems to idle a little higher and sound a little dryer around the docks. Hmmm.
Carl, I run 79-81. Make time to come down to AOTH this year. All trash talk aside, we have a blast, and if you come this year, you won't miss another one!

Well this is all very interesting....:spongebob The fact is that by rights Todds Boat should be hydrodynamically faster than me with the $20,000 Drive Line Propelling it... it definitely shoots a very impressive Rooster Tail... to be sure.

I cast my vote for the Poodle Skunk Works Project...he has just been tooooo silent...and that normally indicates something, like BS WALKs, or PUT UP or Shut UP!

Oh well in a couple of seasons..it'll be time for another "Valve Job"...and we'll just have to see what comes from that. Meanwhile, I will just have to settle for my little squirrel cage as is....

Once Todd clears out all the Logs in front of me... I will be happy to lead the pack then.... :beer:

Problem is at Cumberland or 1000 Isles... I really have no clue where I am driving.. so in all honesty... I am gonna follow most of the time anyway...

Radar Shoot Outs will be fun though... I better go on a Diet in a Hurry!:spongebob

gero1
04-13-2006, 07:00 AM
to all: don't worry about these 3 as i will gather them around the camp fire and let them drink peach refreshments made in the holler, the next day they won't be able to find their boats let alone drive them. i have seen what this stuff does to a professional drinker

roadtrip se
04-13-2006, 09:39 AM
Except when your trying to pass Criterions :) :)

Last time the infamous "Blue Ghost" Criterion made an appearance at AOTH, I kept finding myself behind it. Amazingly enough, with two miles of lake width to pass this thing, I just couldn't seem to find a way around him. When I finally did get by him, the ear-to-ear grin was easy to spot from a football field away.

"Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!" Would ya?

I'm with Dan. I predict that I won't be passing this thing no matter how hard I try this year at Cumberland. Oh well, at least it's a nice, unique boat to look at!

Rootsy
04-13-2006, 10:03 AM
tiger lily, I was on Lake Oakland, my usual hang-out; but only on week-days. I work week-ends when the lake is full of tubers and water cops anyway. Mods will come in due time and I'd like to do more than just the exhaust. I'm not sure what way I'll go yet; a lot of good stuff is coming out for the 496 HO. Anyway, I'll have to settle for 75 or so mph this year which will still whup most of yo asses!!:yes: :fire:

guess i need to start shopping for another SS just so you don't get "too" cocky ;):boat:

Carl C
04-13-2006, 10:11 AM
to all: don't worry about these 3 as i will gather them around the camp fire and let them drink peach refreshments made in the holler, the next day they won't be able to find their boats let alone drive them. i have seen what this stuff does to a professional drinker Yeah, that should work as good as a couple grapefruits in the exhaust tips.:rlol: RTSE, I just can't make AOTH this year. I'm a flea market dealer and my only income is week-ends. So between the cost of the trip and losing a weeks income it is not doable. I will make time to attend some one day Michigan gatherings this summer though. Any handling or drivability issues with that drive? Does it aerate coming out of the hole? If someone would only invent a drive that could be raised and lowered like an outboard...............:yippie:

Ranman
04-13-2006, 12:47 PM
If someone would only invent a drive that could be raised and lowered like an outboard...............:yippie:

It's been done but I can't find the pics. Ted has pics somewhere. It was a hell of a drive called something like the "X Factor". Maybe Ted will see this and post the pics.

MOP
04-13-2006, 05:48 PM
It's been done but I can't find the pics. Ted has pics somewhere. It was a hell of a drive called something like the "X Factor". Maybe Ted will see this and post the pics.

A few of us have shots of that drive setup but was asked not to post them, it is a wicked looking deal!

Phil