PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Brakes Drum or Disc?

DTM
04-09-2006, 09:48 PM
I have a '87 MagicLoad Trailer (all aluminum) that I am going to be "re-doing". Presently it has drum brakes on one axel. At minimum, I need to replace the lines (very rusted on the outside) and the actuator (Replaced 2 years ago all bearings, racers, backing plates, wheel cylinders, etc…).

Question: As I have to replace the actuator anyway and I wanted to add brakes to the second axel should I upgrade to disc brakes all around? or just stay with the drums and add a set of drum brakes to the second axel or just keep the brakes as is?

The trailer will be carrying an 87 Z-21.

UPDATE:

Thanks everyone for the input....

Went with synack's recommendation and ordered a disc setup from Eastern Marine. Waiting for it to arrive to install....

Thanks again everyone who responded....

DTM

synack
04-09-2006, 10:47 PM
Personally, I would go to disc. There's not that much of a price difference between the two systems and if you're going to redo it, you may as well get the better stuff. I got a full surge setup from eastern marine. They were reasonably priced.

MOP
04-10-2006, 06:24 AM
2nd that have had both!

LKSD
04-10-2006, 06:56 AM
Discs.. Less stuff to get screwed up & sieze. Also they stop much better... Jamie

Last Tango
04-10-2006, 12:16 PM
Discs are far less likely to fade in hard stop, pads are easily replaced at service time, and a lot less expensive than brake shoe sets. Discs are largely unafected by water, meaning they will work immediately after being brought out of the water. Drums get wet and don't work as well. Disc's have darn little "internal" parts to trap salt water or corrosion, and they are easily cleaned. But don't get them wet while they are still hot. Your rotors could warp.

DonziDave
04-10-2006, 08:21 PM
Disc brakes are the way to go. However, they also engage in reverse, so you have to install a reverse lock-out solenoid switch to disable the brakes. That means no brakes in reverse...such as backing down a ramp. West marine has a good article in their catalog on the pros and cons of drum vs. disc.
Dave

Donzigo
04-10-2006, 10:13 PM
Disc................no problems

Dr. Dan
04-11-2006, 06:02 AM
:banghead: I have had Brakes on both Axles of both of my Trailers... the original Trailer...I had Drum, and they worked fine I had zero issues, I did re build them about every other season... on my latest Custom Performance Trailer from Lake George... I have Torsion Axle with Disc...and I can tell ya... at 75 mph or more that Trailer will make my whole Suburban come to an incredible stop in such a short distance....it's amazing!!!!!!!!!!!

Not 3 weeks ago I was in D.C. Traffic coming back from boating in the Potomac...and we hit a quick Traffic Jam, everyone came to a very sudden stop while cruising about 60 in a contained walled causeway.... I really thought we were about to get a Subaru for a Hood Ornament, Dwight was with me (Air 22) and we came to a quick controlled stop. I could not believe it....

It's always a balance between stopping too quick so not to have the car behind you take out the outdrive. I do believe if ya have the Mass of the Boat, loaded down it really pulls your Tow Vehicle back like a Drag Chute if ya have a good Brake System (Drum or Disc) the big thing is if ya Tow Alot...and you're not a Poodle... Brakes can make a huge difference in a tight situation.:bonk:

It also helps to have 4 wheel Discs on the Burban as well....

Doc of Traction Control :biggrin.: