PDA

View Full Version : Removing steering wheel

Cuda
04-09-2006, 10:44 AM
Am I doing something wrong? I can't get this part to come off. I've got a pretty good pull against it with the puller. I'm afraid if I put anymore on it, I'll pull the threads out.

MOP
04-09-2006, 11:22 AM
Joe I feel for you getting the hub off can be a bear, being as you have a good puller all you can try is tapping on the head of the puller and continue tightening if possible. If that don't work what I have done is to drill down right next to the shaft with a 5/16" bit, you need to center punch and drill it all the way through, then drive a small tapered punch in to break the hold it has on the shaft. When you drill drill on a very slight angle outward and try to stay in the collar, if you do screw the shaft up a little it will not hurt it. I have had decent luck by brushing a thin coat of silicone on the taper during reassembly, yes it will cure but does have a shear point far below corrosion and will prevent any from forming within the taper. "Last" resort I have also heated them by making a tin heat shield that slipped in between the hub and the main body to protect the dash, like I said last resort and done with care.

Phil

Cuda
04-09-2006, 12:00 PM
Thanks Phil. I just confered with my dad and sent him the pictures. He said the same thing. Just keep tightening, and rapping it with a hammer. I was afraid of pulling the threads out, but dad said that half inch of 1/4-28 threads would be unlikely to pull though, if so, I could just redrill it and tap it with a bigger bolt. I'm going to take another run at it now. :)

Donzigo
04-09-2006, 12:08 PM
I did the same thing that they told you with the Scout recently.............a bigger hammer, that did it.

Cuda
04-09-2006, 12:33 PM
Ah the sweet smell of success. It only took three weeks or more.:biggrin.:

Cuda
04-09-2006, 12:34 PM
Once dad convinced me I wouldn't pull those thread out, I did like he used to tell me when I was young, "DO IT LIKE YOU MEAN IT, BOY!":biggrin:

Cuda
04-09-2006, 03:14 PM
Finished product. :)

MOP
04-09-2006, 03:27 PM
Joe that wheel looks horrible on your boat please tear it off and send it to NY for my pesonal inspection! :biggrin.:

Just Joshing looks great!

onesubdrvr
04-09-2006, 05:02 PM
Joe,

I'm not trying to be funny or anything, but isn't that up-side down? Or is it just personal preference?

Nice looking wheel though!! Would look great on the X too!!!

Wayne

MOP
04-09-2006, 05:25 PM
Wayne have'nt you figured out Joe is UNI Q!!!

onesubdrvr
04-09-2006, 05:43 PM
Wayne have'nt you figured out Joe is UNI Q!!!

OHHHHHhhh,

is that what they call it these days? :biggrin.: I call it Lucky,..... let's just make a short list,.... :wink:

House projects in 2 years,.........1 :confused: :banghead:
Debbie bilge diver :yes:
Debbie boat detailer :yes:
Debbie :yes:

Oh, and it goes on and on and on,........ :biggrin.:

And now he gonna say,... "Hell, I aint lucky, I'm good!!"

Love 'ya Joe, like a brother, no poop!!

Wayne

Cuda
04-09-2006, 05:56 PM
Wayne, you aren't the only one that thought it looked upside down. I thought I only had two options when I put it on, due to the position of the Woodruff Key, and the other option was 90 degrees off. Then I finally figured I could remove the six small bolts, and turn the wheel 180. Let me tell you, it was special getting those bolts out. They weren't tough, but they were hex bolts that neither SAE or metric seemed to fit. I used an SAE that was really too small, but held enough to get them out. Then I rounded out two of them putting them back. Just some old cheap ass potmetal they are made from. Then I drove the next larger metric in the holes, and tightened them up.

Now I can be like everyone else. :)

MOP
04-09-2006, 07:32 PM
Joe I could have saved you a bunch of aggravation if I read Wayne's post.

The is an easy way to center the wheel is to take the cables attaching nut loose at the helm turn the wheel to the right until the cable disengages the drum you will feel it ratchet. Turn it slowly so you catch the first few clicks. Now continue to move the wheel to about where you think it should be, then turn it to the left to suck the cable back in. Check it for positioning you may need to go a few clicks more to get it perfect. A few "Do Overs" are in order the first time you try it!!

Phil

lee
04-09-2006, 10:57 PM
hate to be the dumb guy but how do you fit a modern wheel on a vintage hub have the wheel and want to change would also love to get a new bezel my chrome has small pot marks

MOP
04-10-2006, 06:22 AM
If you want to just the wheel and bezel you are looking at about $150. But if your exsisting setup is fairly old then it would be a good idea to change the whole thing even the cable, there are a few good helm most all will except the standard 3/4" taper wheels. Drop Mr. Poodle a note he can get you straight!

Phil