PDA

View Full Version : Since Nobody Wanted To Sell Me a Boat .. Pick My New Boat - 28ZX Saga Continues

kswest
04-08-2006, 08:36 PM
After not buying another 28ZX b/c of steering problems I went and looked at two other Donzi 28ZXs and drove one (the other’s owner is out of town until next week, I’ll drive it sometime this week).

My worries about the boats handling were resolved. We were out in 4-5 ft seas on Biscane Bay (Miami) and the boat did fine. If anyone was out today the wind was really picking up and the water was rough. The boat handled the water great and the steering was spot on.

The other boat (the one I am not buying) had ½ cable, ½ hydro steering, the boat today has full hydro. It made all the difference in the world. The difference was night and day.

With all that said the 28ZX works well for me, I am ready to stick with it. Nice fit/finish, good power, great looks, in the price range, etc. Now I have 2 to pick from …

The first (the one I drove today) is yellow with twin 350 MAGS. About 300 hours on the boat. Relatively clean, oil change, prop maintenance done in November. Here is the full boat trader ad: (http://www.boattraderonline.com/addetaildriver.html?82782510)

2000 DONZI 28ZX, 28' Great 2000 Donzi 28ZX ... Great Power Boat! This Donzi Z-28-ZX features a well lite cabin with a V Bearth to sleep two. The cabin has a sony am/fm cd player stereo with 4 speakers. 1998 galvanized trailer. Hydraulic engine hatch, donzi Hydraulic assit steering, dual batteries automatic bilge pumps, bilge blowers, power trim and Tilt, halon fire extinguisher system. Silent Choice Exhaust available on boat, mooring cover, swim platform and ladder This is the third owner, was bougt in 2001 and kept in the same location inside dry rack storage summer in Conn. Dry rack storage inside winter Florida.

The second is blue, same twin 350 MAGS, more hours (400). A little cleaner and some extra options (CD Changer, Power Seats, Trim on the throttles). It also recently had a LOT of the maintainence work done (manifolds, tabs, hydraulic rams, etc.) One thing I notices that worried me are some very light and superficial crack (like a spider web) on the floor in the passenger area. Looks like someone dropped something, maybe stress cracks? Also there was a dime size pieces of gelcoat missing on the hull. I haven’t questioned the owner about either yet. Here is the full boat trader ad: (http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/9/3/82493193.htm)

2000 DONZI 28ZX, 28' Excellent condition stored inside major service and tune-up on engines and outdrives. New risers, elbows, manifolds,water pumps, impellers, thermostats, tiebar and preformed compression check on both engines. White with blue graphics,350 mags,latham steering,K-plates,silent choice,GPS,AM/FM stereo CD changer,pumpout head,galley sink,freshwater transom shower, cockpit cover and carpet.

To sum it up, basically the same boat except for a few options and the color scheme – virtually the same price. The question is do I go with the boat with lower hours and fewer options or the boat with more options, higher hours but all the maintenance done?

Which would you pick? Thanks again, I can’t get over how great the boating community is.

Formula Jr
04-08-2006, 09:46 PM
Your question comes down to knowing the past owners.

A screwed up owner can mess up a boat rather quickly.
So hours are not a gauge.
A good owner will have already fixed every thing. To make it right.

Know the seller, and you will know the boat.

There are several people on this board I would buy a boat from unseen.
Just because I've read what they did for five years. And how cazy they are about making things perfect.

Know the owner. The one that starts free associating about his Donzi is the one you want to buy.

kswest
04-08-2006, 09:52 PM
I have a gut feeling the blue one was better cared for. Haven't met the owner yet though...Just from talking on the phone.

Mr X
04-08-2006, 10:44 PM
I know where the fastest production 28ZX ever to leave the factory is.....
It is a Scorpion edition. It can be had for $79,500.00

kswest
04-09-2006, 05:38 AM
I know where the fastest production 28ZX ever to leave the factory is.....
It is a Scorpion edition. It can be had for $79,500.00

I'm cool with not being the fastest for right now ;)

Carl C
04-09-2006, 06:47 AM
I voted for the yellow one but you should add one more option; wait a couple months and be one of the first members with a 27 ZR. Word is they will run 80 with a 496 HO. Price, $80,000 to $85,000 but you'll probably get better financing on a new boat.:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: Wait for the ZR!

Mr X
04-09-2006, 06:58 AM
The 22 Classic with a 496 Mag HO runs under 80 MPH.....
Although it would be nice, I would NOT count on it running 80 MPH.

kswest
04-09-2006, 07:08 AM
I thought about a new boat at first, but I'd rather let someone else take a hit on the depreciation. Plus it is the first boat I will own and I'm sure I'll mess something up. And ... I want twins.

I plan on keeping this for 2-3 years then going after a 31ZR (if they end up making it) or 35ZR.

Kyle

kswest
04-09-2006, 07:18 AM
MR X,

Granted I am not going to buy your boat, which of the two would you pick?

Thanks,

Kyle

Mr X
04-09-2006, 07:21 AM
I would have to look at both of them in person to make that call.
Way too many things to inspect.......

Shanghied Again
04-09-2006, 10:58 AM
KS.
Looking at both boats I would go with the 2nd one, The first boat looks like the older hull design, I can't tell by the picture but the back is swept back more on the 1st picture, The 2nd boat has the swim platform extending out further. The big way you know is the Windshield and Dash are diiferent on the older models, Windscreen is more rounder, entrance door is different and the hood is different, the rear pad is slightly smaller and the rear vents are different, Donzi made a change to the 2000 model later, diiferent hull, different steps, the 2nd boat is the changed 28ZX model that still is the same today, If the records are good and the boat has been maintained I would definetly go for number 2.

Cuda
04-09-2006, 11:07 AM
All things being equal, I'd get the blue one. I really like those graphics. I agree with FJr, good maintainence beats out low hours everytime for me. The way I judge one right off the bat, is see how clean the bottom of the bilge is. If it's real clean, it probably had a fussy owner, that took care of stuff. One thing I noticed, is the yellow one comes with a trailer.

Shanghied Again
04-09-2006, 11:22 AM
As you can see by the pictures the Yellow boat is the first generation of the 28ZX rounder back different hood and dash, the Purple boat new generation. better hull.

J Bail Bonds
04-09-2006, 02:19 PM
Is this the same Mr X that screwed my relative in NJ out of $1000.00 on a boat that was to be done in about a month and ended up done around December. My relative was in an accident and there is a lot involved in the whole saga. But when the boat was taking too long to finish Mr X offered the deposit back. But after my relative was in this accident his wife asked for the deposit back and after reading the long list of e-mails you had with her and the X-ray she sent photos of his leg when you asked for proof. Why don't you just be a nice guy and send her the deposit back. I just happened on this site and I don't think you are a very stand up guy. I would have sent you an e-mail but you have it blocked. JR

Mr X
04-09-2006, 06:30 PM
Not even close to the real story. I have ALL of the emails and will gladly send them to anyone who wants to see them.
I am the one who got SCREWED on that deal.
Feel free to email me your phone number in Miami, I will be more than happy to call you and tell you my side of the story.

tedwork@tampabay.rr.com

kswest
04-09-2006, 08:07 PM
Is this the same Mr X that screwed my relative in NJ out of $1000.00 on a boat that was to be done in about a month and ended up done around December. My relative was in an accident and there is a lot involved in the whole saga. But when the boat was taking too long to finish Mr X offered the deposit back. But after my relative was in this accident his wife asked for the deposit back and after reading the long list of e-mails you had with her and the X-ray she sent photos of his leg when you asked for proof. Why don't you just be a nice guy and send her the deposit back. I just happened on this site and I don't think you are a very stand up guy. I would have sent you an e-mail but you have it blocked. JR

Sounds like your relative backed out of a contract and hence forfeited their deposit. Regardless of reason once you enter into a contract and give a deposit you are obligated to complete the deal or lose your deposit.

Regardless, this is not the proper place to discuss (read: bash) Mr X for whatever happened. Use the phone or e-mail not a public forum. If he was so inclined Mr X could sue you for defamation of character.

kswest
04-09-2006, 09:04 PM
Here are some pics of the crack I noted on the Blue one ...

undertaker
04-09-2006, 09:12 PM
KSwest the 2000 28ZX's were known to crack like that on the fairing (3rd picture) know some other people who had the same type of cracks, my 2000 28ZX also had a small crack in about the same place. No big deal IMO can be fixed easily.

I agree go with the second boat my 33ZX had the same graphics they are NICE!!!:biggrin.: :biggrin.: Good luck

Undertaker:biggrin.: :biggrin.:

kswest
04-09-2006, 09:21 PM
KSwest the 2000 28ZX's were known to crack like that on the fairing (3rd picture) know some other people who had the same type of cracks, my 2000 28ZX also had a small crack in about the same place. No big deal IMO can be fixed easily.
I agree go with the second boat my 33ZX had the same graphics they are NICE!!!:biggrin.: :biggrin.: Good luck

Thanks, I figured the crack on the dash was just superficial. What about the ones in the back? Something to worry about or just something simple?

Kyle

undertaker
04-09-2006, 09:36 PM
Personally I would not worry about them they can be fixed very easily and I don't think its because of a defect any were..:bonk:

but then again I am far from an expert let see what some others have to say:biggrin.: :biggrin.: :biggrin.:

keep us posted...

HeavyP
04-10-2006, 08:47 AM
Kyle,

Before you buy, check out the link below. I assure you it is in premium condition. Shoot me an email with any questions. gowens@amelexinc.com

http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/marine_classifieds/adv-search.cgi?id=138360-ad&featured=inline

Greg

kswest
04-10-2006, 08:58 AM
Kyle,
Before you buy, check out the link below. I assure you it is in premium condition. Shoot me an email with any questions. gowens@amelexinc.com
http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/marine_classifieds/adv-search.cgi?id=138360-ad&featured=inline
Greg

Wow. Talk about clean. Little more than I want to spend on this boat though. Good luck with the sale.

Kyle

Shanghied Again
04-10-2006, 12:09 PM
I have the same crack on my 26ZX under the windscreen, I have repaired it and so far so good, The crack by the speaker is not an issue, probally when the srew was put in they didn't drill a big enough pilot hole and the one in the back is not in a support area.

kswest
04-10-2006, 12:14 PM
I have the same crack on my 26ZX under the windscreen, I have repaired it and so far so good, The crack by the speaker is not an issue, probally when the srew was put in they didn't drill a big enough pilot hole and the one in the back is not in a support area.

What about the cracks on the floor? Just superficial stuff?

Mr X
04-10-2006, 12:20 PM
Normal, the stringers and other things below the floor were not quite ground down enough when the boat was decked.
About 90 % of 28ZX's from that vintage have cracks in thoses exact same areas. Cosmetic worries only.

J Bail Bonds
04-10-2006, 08:38 PM
Sorry not trying to offend any one. I'll tell you what Ted(Mr X) Next time I have a person that skipped bail on the west coast I'll buy you lunch. It was an unfortunate situation for both parties involved. She has had her hands filled since he can not work from the accident and is going to speech therpy to be able to communicate and walk. If you could be a little understanding towards her given the situation.

Thanks, JR

Mr X
04-10-2006, 09:25 PM
As I said earlier, I will be more than happy to discuss this with you.
I am still waiting for you to email me your contact info in Miami.

tedwork@tampabay.rr.com

kswest
04-12-2006, 02:47 PM
I bought the blue one. I'll post some pics once I actually have it. Tenatively 4/22.

Thanks everyone.
Kyle

Shanghied Again
04-12-2006, 04:15 PM
Kyle: congradulations Great Choice!

kswest
04-12-2006, 04:19 PM
Kyle: congradulations Great Choice!

Thanks! I'll be calling you in a few years for a new ZR :eek: :eek: :eek:

The Hedgehog
04-13-2006, 03:01 PM
Welcome to the club. Good choice.

fasttrucker
04-16-2006, 10:24 AM
Remember..:hyper: .. the cabin boat Donzi Net members tend to have more fun :nuke: then the smaller/slower Donzi Net members.Just ask Doctor Dan he will tell you!:lightning

boldts
04-16-2006, 06:46 PM
Gee, I've seen some pretty good fun on both sides of that coin..... Fast, you have a trailer. Hook up with the good doctor and undertaker and come on over to Kentucky in May. Mr. Civitano brought his 22ZX the first year. Have been a few others over the years. We have nothing against ZX owners or any other model of Donzi boats for that matter. Would love to have you join the group and add to the fun.

We make a run to a place called Lee's Ford for lunch on Friday. About an hour run unless your going balls to the wall the whole way. There is a new Donzi dealer in Somerset, KY who will be at Lee's Ford as they are holding their in-water boat show the same weekend we are there. Anyway, rummored to be at the show will be a Shelby 22 Classic, 38ZR and possibly one of the neatest boats to come out of Donzi in recent years, a 27ZR. The 27 is being built as I type. Of course since it is a boat show, demonstration rides will be available! I've never riden on a 38ZR. I may need to experience that myself. :)

KSWest - Congrats on your purchase! Welcome to the family. There are a number of Donzi members coming up from FL also. Strong contingent from there. Would love to have you join us also. You'll meet friends that you'll have the rest of your life. We're celebrating Mr. Aronow this year and have invited anyone who owns an Aronow started company boat.

fasttrucker
04-16-2006, 07:18 PM
:p Just kidding around.....Went out on catch-22,s donzi and had a great time.All donzi,s are fun!I went out on a nice run today with my donzi girl,went to cheasapeake city to the cheasapeake inn.Had crab-poppers and crab/shrimp sandwiches with old bay fries.Micro brew "dog-fish":beer: .Nice day,:yes: My son is in little-league so wont be able to make KY this year.Hope to go to sarasota in the fall.:rolleyes: