PDA

View Full Version : Alabama Boating Ban!

The Hedgehog
04-07-2006, 12:57 PM
Man this is some scary stuff. The ban passed the Senate. This is a crock of BS. After October my boat will be illegal on one of the biggest lakes in the state. I am about 1 foot too long and 12 mph too fast. Lots of folks are going to have to sell their boats. Many $1+ Million houses with boat big houses that will be useless. This will start a nasty bunch of lawsuits that everyone will lose. Thanks Alabama Power!

I am glad that they did not try to mess with the lake in my front yard! I hope that this is not the start of a scary trend.

Jraysray
04-07-2006, 02:01 PM
What's the scoop on this?

The Hedgehog
04-07-2006, 02:33 PM
Boat ban passes Senate
Some craft restricted on 3 lakes; those in use eligible for permit
Thursday, April 06, 2006
DAVID WHITE
News staff writer
MONTGOMERY - The state Legislature gave final passage Wednesday to a bill that would limit houseboats as well as some large boats and high-speed boats from three east Alabama lakes.

The Senate voted 25-7 for the bill, which passed the House last week. It will become law unless Gov. Bob Riley objects. "He has not reviewed it yet, but he will review it before making a decision," said Riley spokesman Jeff Emerson.

The measure limits or bans houseboats, high-speed cigarette boats and pontoon boats, and boats longer than 30.5 feet. It applies to Weiss Lake in Cherokee County; Lake Martin in Coosa, Elmore and Tallapoosa counties; and Lake Harris, also known as Lake Wedowee, in Randolph County.

Sen. Jabo Waggoner, R-Vestavia Hills, said restricting large and fast boats would be similar to limiting deer hunters to .22-caliber rifles or BB guns. "It is unfair, it is unreasonable to do this," Waggoner said.

Supporters said the bill would make boat crowding and sewage dumping less likely, and so improve safety and water quality. "This bill is designed to ensure that the quality of life on those lakes is maintained," said Sen. Gerald Dial, D-Lineville.

Dial also said he hoped the bill would encourage developers to build resorts, golf courses or gated communities on the lakes. "We were told this, that if you don't do something, nobody's coming," Dial said.

Rep. Mac Gipson, R-Prattville, last week charged that the bill was intended to help developers who want to build expensive houses for rich people from the Atlanta area who are tired of crowding on Georgia's Lake Lanier.

But Dial said he wanted to see high-end development on Lake Harris to bring people and tax dollars to Randolph County, which is in his district. "It would be great ... if we had something to bring tourists in, to increase our tax base," Dial said.

Alabama Power Co. officials lobbied for the bill. It owns almost 40,000 acres on or around the three lakes, said Alabama Power spokesman Michael Sznajderman, including about 5,000 acres suitable for development - 3,500 acres at Lake Harris, 850 acres at Lake Martin and 25 acres at Weiss Lake.

"We do get proposals from developers all the time. Some of them come to fruition, some of them don't," Sznajderman said. "We certainly encourage high-quality, sustainable development along the lakes. But we also understand the need to have some limits to protect water quality, to protect the beauty of the lands and protect them as a recreational asset."

If the bill becomes law, on Weiss Lake, Lake Martin and Lake Harris it would:

Ban houseboats starting July 1, 2007, except that any houseboat licensed and in use July 1, 2006, would be eligible for a Department of Conservation annual permit allowing its continued use on that lake provided it were inspected and met standards for sewage disposal.

Ban cigarette boats, or recreational boats longer than 26 feet 11 inches and rated for or capable of more than 60 miles per hour. The ban would start Oct. 1.

Ban boats longer than 30 feet 6 inches starting July 1, 2007, except that boats in use or available for sale at a marina on one of the three lakes July 1, 2006, would be eligible for an annual permit allowing its continued use at that lake. The exception would not apply to cigarette boats. Sailboats would not be affected by the bill.

Violations would be punishable by a fine of $100 to $1,000, though a first-time violator would get a warning citation.

The conservation department could issue permits to allow the temporary use of banned boats.

Reedy
04-07-2006, 02:54 PM
:beer: Dial also said he hoped the bill would encourage developers to build resorts, golf courses or gated communities on the lakes. "We were told this, that if you don't do something, nobody's coming," Dial said

Wow, "nobody's coming" sounds pretty darned good!
:outtahere

Rootsy
04-07-2006, 02:57 PM
wouldn't it be nice if everyone banned could somehow be exempt from providing any tax money to support anyone or anything on or around those lakes... since ya can't use it why should you have to help support it... as usual.. money rules... :rolleyes:

TuxedoPk
04-07-2006, 03:26 PM
This has the effect of granting the lake front marina's a state mandated franchise on storing larger boats and discriminates against those who trailer their boats or store their boats at a non-lakefront marina.

Kinda makes you glad to own a Donzi and not one of those Cigarette boats. (If the courts can't agree on what is 'indecent' then it's going to be hard to define what non-Cigarette branded boats are considered cigarette boats under the law).

Again, none of this makes any difference if you tie a rope to the tip of a transom mounted American flag which technically makes you a sailboat under power with a sheet controlling your mizzen. Calling it a Donzi Yawl would sound about right with an Alabama accent :) Two suction mounted 6" sails on the bow would make for a nice 'Donzi Cutter':biggrin.:

The Hedgehog
04-07-2006, 04:58 PM
A Donzi Yawl. I like it. It goes great with a local accent!

Schnook
04-07-2006, 05:46 PM
Hey, yawl! Does it strike anyone else as peculiar that if they (or them all) are so concerned about water quality, this only affects three lakes? Sounds like a smoke screen to me, whatever a smoke screen sounds like.

dfunde01
04-07-2006, 06:27 PM
Similar restrictions are in place on Lake Oconee in GA which is a Georgia Power Lake. The lakes in Alabama that would be covered are all Alabama Power Company lakes. The power companies have been accused of pushing these restrictions through the state legislatures to increase the value of shore line property that they are selling to developers. File complaints with your state Public Service Commissions regarding Alabama Power and Georgia Power spending mega bucks on lobbyists to push these laws through which in turn result in our power rates increasing to cover their rising costs of doing business. The major boat builders had better step up to the plate and put some lobbists on the road to combat these issues. Pressure is the only thing that state and local politicans understand. Also check land ownership records bordering the power company property being developed and you will most likely find that some of the land is owned by family members of the local officials that are introducing the legislation masked as pro-environment packages. At least it always seems to work that way in Georgia.

The property developed by Randolph Properties on Lake Oconee Georgia is Reynolds Plantation and Randolph Properties is the same developer working with Alabama Power on the Alabama Power lakes. Large developers have been out of control since they tasted the fruits of having the government take property for their use to increase the tax base and having legislation passed to enhance the value of their properties. There are too many elected officials in to many places that are firmly in the pockets of real estate developers. Look at the reports filed on campaign contributions and you'll be amazed at how much real estate developers have given to your local officials. Our only recourse is to make them afraid to take the money by voting them out at the polls. In every case that I am aware of this has been an issue only on power company lakes with the legislation being given full support of Georgia Power, Alabama Power, etc.

This bill was passsed in 2003 -

House Bill 444 (AS PASSED HOUSE AND SENATE)
By: Representative Channell of the 77th

A BILL TO BE ENTITLED
AN ACT

To amend Code Section 52-7-13 of the Official Code of Georgia Annotated, relating to boating safety zones, restrictions on use of motors and operation of houseboats on certain lakes, and exceptions, so as to prohibit operation of certain vessels on Lake Oconee; to repeal conflicting laws; and for other purposes.

BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF GEORGIA:

SECTION 1.
Code Section 52-7-13 of the Official Code of Georgia Annotated, relating to boating safety zones, restrictions on use of motors and operation of houseboats on certain lakes, and exceptions, is amended by striking subsection (g) and inserting in lieu thereof the following:
"(g) The operation of any of the following vessels on Lake Oconee shall be prohibited:
(1) Any motorized vessel greater than 30 feet six inches in length; except for law enforcement, scientific research, or dam operation and maintenance craft or a vessel not greater than 40 feet in length used for conducting group tours on behalf of the owner or operator of a REAP certified by the Department of Community Affairs under Code Section 50-8-192; or
(2) Any vessel equipped with any type of bypass mechanism that reduces or eliminates the effectiveness of the muffler or baffler system required by Code Section 52-7-10.
(h) The provisions of this Code section shall not apply to vessels engaged in any activity authorized under Code Section 52-7-19."

SECTION 2.
All laws and parts of laws in conflict with this Act are repealed.

Dave

Ed Donnelly
04-07-2006, 07:46 PM
Just as I suspected, sail boters don't ****.....Ed

The Hedgehog
04-07-2006, 08:13 PM
Just as I suspected, sail boters don't ****.....Ed

They don't sweat either. I think that they poop and perspire.

gold-n-rod
04-07-2006, 10:00 PM
I think that they poop

I believe they excrete. :biggrin:

TuxedoPk
04-08-2006, 11:55 AM
I'm all in favor of Greenwood Lake charging non-residents a fee which could help defray the taxes of the neighboring town that aborbs the cost of
ed-u-macating Greenwood Lake's kids :yes:

Off the soapbox- just pissed that w/o kids I'm still paying over $13k in School Taxes alone. That would pay for a lot of gas and boat sodas each year.

pmreed
04-08-2006, 01:00 PM
Matty, On the Winter Park, FL chain of lakes, all boaters must buy and display a registration sticker. Last time I bought one it was about $70. That keeps out most of the foreign, weekend trade.

Phil

chappy
04-08-2006, 03:53 PM
[QUOTE=mattyboy]I have heard rumors about Lake Wallenpaupack in PA being owned by the power company and not hi po powerboat friendly plus their are no public restaurants or bars on the lake just private homes maybe JW can add more info so I am not gonna pull 2 hours to find out so my boating dollars will be spent elsewhere.
Lake Wallenpaupack is owned by the state power company. It has public launches with no usage fee. There are about six restaurants with dockside parking available. Only a 45 mph speed limit on weekends, midweeks are all you can get. In the last ten years, I've only seen 5 Donzi's on it. More bayliners than I care to mention:cartman:
Rich