PDA

View Full Version : Ballistic porps

MOP
04-06-2006, 09:11 PM
How many have tried a Ballistic prop, was wondering how they stack up against some of the better know props.

Phil

p729lws
04-07-2006, 12:07 AM
How many have tried a Ballistic prop, was wondering how they stack up against some of the better know props.
Phil

BSE is running one on his 22 classic with mixed results. I'm sure he will chime in here shortly....

Dan

LKSD
04-07-2006, 09:19 AM
Ran one on my 18 (took it to 70mph) 25p 350 mag mpi it was fine, No issues & I thought it ran & handled well..

had & ran one on my old scarab (21p & 23p 454mag B1 depending on what I was doing) ran great! I liked it a lot..

Ran a 25p On a swt 16 a few years a go too same scenario.. no issues.. :)

I know a lot of you guys like the turbo props.. Nothing against them, but it's one of the only other 3 blade props I like besides the Merc ones out of the box.. Jamie :)

Sam
04-07-2006, 11:06 AM
Funny you should post this question MOP, I would love to try one of their 4 bladed props. The only thing I have heard about them is that their QC can be lacking at times. Mostly to do with +- tolerances. Having said that, that's always been an issue with most of the props I have used and yes I mean the so called high end ones.

MOP
04-07-2006, 07:19 PM
Sam FUNNY you should say you want to try one!!! I picked up a 25 4 blade that I want to try on mine to get my RPM closer to where Griz said it should be peak on can is 4800, so far every time I up the pitch I pickup a little more mid and top. 21 Mirage 63@5500, 23 Quick Silver 65@5250, 23 cleaver 65.3@5250, 23 4 blade turbo 65.7@5150 who know 66 may be on the horizon After I give it a try you are more then welcome to give it a try, I should be wet in another 2-3 weeks. I want to do a couple of top end runs with the Turbo with and without the mufflers sort of an experiment, a few people say 4" exhaust is a bit big on a small block and possibly the added back pressure of the mufflers will add a little more torque. I remember the Great Fuzzy one had mentioned something along those lines awhile back. Another reason for trying it is I have several buds that run circle track, a few years back the track made them muffle the engines they swear the have more power coming out of the turns but lost a little on top. I will report if it is BS or real in a few weeks, I really like NO mufflers even though my bark is louder then my mouses bite!!!

Phil

Barry Eller
04-07-2006, 07:22 PM
[QUOTE=p729lws]BSE is running one on his 22 classic with mixed results. I'm sure he will chime in here shortly....
Dan[/QUOTE
Its Me, Its Me, Its BSE! Chiming in here. I have a 14 1/2"x 25" 3 blade Ballistic I bought from iboats.com around Christmas for $209.95. I guess it was on sale because it is for OMC King Cobra. I also have a Hydromotive 15"x23" 4 blade. The Ballistic is faster on the top, has great bow lift, and good midrange. It does not have the holeshot that the hydro gives. The Hydromotive is a stern lifting prop that keeps the boat running at a flatter attitude. Its great in rough water and does not blow out in turns. I think I prefer the Hydro for most of my purposes. My setup with a 470+hp/502, I'm fast enough with a holeshot that will pull trees off the beach!
Top speed is everyones bragging point, but there is something to be said about leaving someone in the distance,watching them give up because you just smoked them from the start!!
The Ballistic prop is my back up, I'll put it on when I want to put the wife on the beach, remove the bimini top, and go really fast.

Sam
04-07-2006, 09:41 PM
Phil, I would love to take you up on your offer..............thanks :yes: . Just let me know when you can part with it for a week or two. I'll be testing against my current 24.5" Hydro OT. I'm hoping yours dosen't give me quite as much stern lift as the Hydro. I'll send you my Fed X or UPS number and away we go :smile:.

Cheers
Sam

MOP
04-07-2006, 10:05 PM
Barry thanks for jumping in the more input the better, the Turbo I have on it is a really nice prop it does it all well. though I am anxious to try the extra pitch on mine. The 25 will knock my current 5150 down aways, I am looking for 4900 with full fuel two on board. Have to try it depending on if I like it or not I'll send it off to the prop shop. That is unless Sam or someone else wants to try while it is still a 25.

Phil

Barry Eller
04-07-2006, 10:55 PM
MOP, the propeller I want to try is the Hydromotive Quad IV-X. It is a round-eared hybrid that has bow lift. Check out www.hydromotive.com
If any one has run this prop, please report!!
The Hydromotive prop I have now is the Quad-IV.

Rootsy
04-08-2006, 08:25 AM
i'd be really interested to see how the O/T-X and the X-O/B hydromotives run on our boats... the O/T has plenty of load carrying capacity for our boats with deep props.... the X and the X-O/B would be interesting since they provide more positive lift and claim great rough water stability.. though mostly for the bassboat and 100 mph padded V's and tunnels they seem to be a good fit for our 16's and 18's...

Sam,

did you have your O/T tweaked???? i have a bone stock 23 sitting on the shelf that i traded my 27P for...

Sam
04-08-2006, 01:14 PM
James, the OT I have is dialed in at 24.5" after going up and down in pitch last year. I still think it has to much stern lift but it's the best I can find for now. I have yet to find a 3 blade that can run with the SS set up and trust me I have many :rolleyes:.

That's why I can't wait to try Phil's 4 blade Ballastic out. With any luck I can reduce the stern lift and keep my current numbers.