PDA

View Full Version : 16' Ray Hunt Hull

16odaycapri
04-06-2006, 06:01 PM
Hi! I was told to ask people here about my boat. It is a to the best of my knowledge a 1962 16' Ray Hunt design built by Marscott Plastics in New Bedford, MA. I have the Legend of Mercury book and there is a pic on page 125 of the same boat but with a sterndrive in it. If anyone has and info on this boat please respond or steer me in the right direction.
Thanx-Josh

Ross
04-06-2006, 06:33 PM
Josh,here is a short bit of info and if you send me your address I will send you some articles on the Hunts.
In addition to the legendary Bertrams, Hunt also designed 3 smaller versions of his deep V's; 14' 16' 18'. The 14' was designed as a tender for the Canadain Royal Navy as a result of the 16' being tested against other boats of the time and winning hands down. The only issue was the 16' was too long so Hunt was commissioned to design a 14' version. The 14' and 18' look similiar , with the 16' having a slightly raised noise. The 14 and 18 both have the flared chine which required a split mould to manufacture , most 16' I have seen do not. After Marscott , the boats were manufactired by O'Day Boats in Brampton Ontario. The 14 and 16 came with I/O or outboard, all 18's were I/O. We have several of these old Hunts in our area of Georgian Bay.
Also check out the picture section on www.25Bertram.com ; there are some before and after pictures of my son's 14'. If interested, I can also scan and send you some pictures from one of our summer Bertram/Hunt meets.
If you post your question on the Bertram site I am sure you will get some response from some of the other Canadian Hunt fans.

16odaycapri
04-06-2006, 09:16 PM
Thank you so much this is the info i've been looking for.
My email is
joshcolvin@comcast.net

Mercrewser
04-06-2006, 09:38 PM
:cool!: :wink:

Cuda
04-11-2006, 08:38 PM
Speaking of Bertrams, I saw this boat today in I-95. I'm pretty sure it said Bertram on the side near the rear. I slowed down so he would pass me, and tried to get some pics. I got one as I went back past him again. I thought I had the Bertram in the frame, but it's hard to focus at 80 mph. It looked to be between 20, and 24 feet long.

JPR
04-12-2006, 02:17 PM
Not enough deadrise, too much freeboard, it's not a Bertram.

Cuda
04-12-2006, 04:13 PM
I'm almost positive I saw a Bertram emblem near the stern. Anyone have a picture of the Bertram emblem?

JPR
04-12-2006, 05:48 PM
A bit obscured, but this is from a 28' Bertram Baron

Ross
04-17-2006, 06:40 PM
For those of you in Canada or have access to Cottage Life magazine, this month's issue has a nice shot of a 16' Hunt I/O.

half shell
04-28-2006, 05:58 PM
Hi! I was told to ask people here about my boat. It is a to the best of my knowledge a 1962 16' Ray Hunt design built by Marscott Plastics in New Bedford, MA. I have the Legend of Mercury book and there is a pic on page 125 of the same boat but with a sterndrive in it. If anyone has and info on this boat please respond or steer me in the right direction.
Thanx-Josh

I dont know of Marscott However I have heard of palmer scott and I have been told they were the first to build a boat out of fiberglass.

My dad had a wooden cuttyhunk bass boat built by them.

The old timers at the marina said they used to hoist them in the air and drop them to see if they were tough enough to put into service!

I will ask around for more info.

Regards Bob

boldts
04-30-2006, 01:04 PM
Hey that Bertrum 28 looks very cool. Twin Volvos and of course, my favorite color combo. :) Any more pictures? Wait a minute. I'll bet they are on the Bertrum website eh? :yes: Give me a break. I'm working today..... Sort of

olredalert
04-30-2006, 01:14 PM
Scott,

--------I could be wrong, but I think that particular Baron was for sale at Ocean Reef near Key Largo Fl. completely restored way back in the late 80s-early 90s. Few enough of them anyway and then to see another in exactly the same color,,,,too much of a coincidence. Another dream-boat of mine. Seems to be a bunch of them popping up the last couple of days........Bill S

--------I do see a partial New York tag on the trailer. A couple of inchs downward with the view-finder and I would be on the phone to the NY DMV Monday

JPR
04-30-2006, 02:20 PM
This is owned and restored by a fellow in New York who did an unbelievable job, it has twin HM engines that he also restored. I'll attach more photos for you to drool over.

boldts
04-30-2006, 06:16 PM
JPR - Wow - What a beautiful boat! Thank-you for the pictures and screen saver pictures. I've never seen a Bertram like that. I've only seen the fishing types and not that many of them either. Looking at the side picture, I'm reminded of a 22 Classic all grown up. The long front deck with the shorter cockpit and engine room. Bill, I totally understand your love for that model Bertram. Looked at the Bertram website but didn't see anything like the boat pictured here. It's owner must be extremely proud.

Cuda
04-30-2006, 07:10 PM
A friend of mine is restoring an old 38 Bertram. His truck broke when he was pulling it here to Deland. I had to go pull his boat here. It might take him forever to finish it, but what he's done so far is perfect.

Cuda
04-30-2006, 07:12 PM
Here's a picture of it when it raced as Needle Nose.

olredalert
05-01-2006, 01:26 PM
Cuda,

--------Did that boat come thru Speedmasters??? He seems to have had a number of odd-ball Bertrams over the years. The one seen here on this website last summer at a poker run in Lake Michigan came thru S-Masters. Drivetrain on the boat up here was completely done by Tyler Crockett and is a piece of artwork!!!.........Bill S

Cuda
05-01-2006, 04:58 PM
Cuda,
--------Did that boat come thru Speedmasters??? He seems to have had a number of odd-ball Bertrams over the years. The one seen here on this website last summer at a poker run in Lake Michigan came thru S-Masters. Drivetrain on the boat up here was completely done by Tyler Crockett and is a piece of artwork!!!.........Bill S
No, I think Kurt bought it up in Michigan or Wisconsin, then brought it down here. Galen (Speedmasters) is doing his trannies and drives. Galen has a 28 Bertram out back that is his personal boat.

olredalert
05-01-2006, 06:40 PM
-----Thanks Cuda,,,,Yeah,,,,,Ive looked at his website and the pics of the Baron once a month for the last couple of years. All things being equal I would be interested. Just would have to be a bit cheaper for me to follow thru on the type of boat I want to end up with after restoration. I guess its another case of just a bit too nice to start with.............Bill S

BUIZILLA
05-01-2006, 06:49 PM
Bill, I think you need to make Galen an offer.... your gonna kick yourself later if you don't...

JH

Cuda
05-01-2006, 08:24 PM
I'd call Galen and make him an offer. I'm sure he's flexible about it.