PDA

View Full Version : Holy McS_ _t!

FUELPOWERED
04-06-2006, 04:21 PM
93 octane on the street has just risen to 2.99/gal in the Chicago metro area. I took a trip to Cadillac, MI at the end of Feb. It was 2.39 then. Give it another week, and I'll bet "Katrina" overinflated prices will seem like an absolute bargain. If a precise date could be agreed upon, I think every fuel consuming citizen should abstain from purchasing gasoline for just 1 day. Anyone with me on this?

Ranman
04-06-2006, 09:12 PM
I think every fuel consuming citizen should abstain from purchasing gasoline for just 1 day. Anyone with me on this?

Wouldn't matter. We'd just need to catch up the next day, or the day afer that.

If you want to do your part to drive the price down, consume less gas. (Not really what we Americans want to hear though...)

tiger lily
04-06-2006, 09:25 PM
If you want to do your part to drive the price down, consume less gas. (Not really what we Americans want to hear though...)

that would work until people like my dad and his buddies pull upto the pump with there boats(they all fill up on land) and take on 300 gallons!

joel3078
04-07-2006, 11:14 AM
Drive a motorcycle around instead of your car/truck. The gas money not going into my truck, goes into the Donzi instead. When you get 45mpg on a bike, the difference between 2.25 or 3.00 gallon really doesn't make a big difference at pump time. It costs either 6 bucks or 12 bucks to fill the bike. That's like 1 or 2 beers who cares. I go 170 miles and then spend another 10 bucks to filler up. Ladeda. Start looking around, those Geo Metro and Festiva mini cars are starting to show up on the roads again.

Reedy
04-07-2006, 11:19 AM
and the real reason it can go up .50-.75 anytime it wants to is the same reason a dog can lick themselves; because they can, and we can not to jack about it. The profits are really obscene!:shocking:

Jraysray
04-07-2006, 02:09 PM
Start looking around, those Geo Metro and Festiva mini cars are starting to show up on the roads again.

My buddy just purchased a Toyota hybrid. $28,000 and man is it ugly! Neat technology though. The $3,150 tax write off is nice too. He is boasting of 66 MPG as well.

Formula Jr
04-07-2006, 03:17 PM
uhmmm lets not be too surprised....... Glad I got to do stuff when gas was cheap.

Bought me a Kia/ford Festiva, 1993, cool little s$!% box tinker toy car. With 29 mpg A/C and automatic. Thats real numbers. My motorcycle gets 56 mpg.
Next time I hear about somebody putting a diesel in a Donzi I will not laugh so loud.

roadtrip se
04-07-2006, 03:31 PM
Jill's little TDI Jetta gets 50-55 MPG and is a solid, safe car with side air bags and a ton of options.

The hybrids hold promise but don't really deliver on the cost premium, unless you drive all city miles, because you're burning gas on the highway to keep up. I also get a real kick out of the eco-friendly, greenie marketing when you are sitting on 1000 d-cell batteries. Where are all of those batteries going to go once you have to replace them for new ones or you're done with the car?

In addition, my little Donzi Classic uses about 15% of what the big offshores did that I used to have. Go fast and do it cheaper than before. The Donzi Classic, the economical way to go faster!

Heck, maybe the lakes won't be such a zoo this year with all of the high gas price hysteria!

joel3078
04-07-2006, 03:35 PM
uhmmm lets not be too surprised....... Glad I got to do stuff when gas was cheap.
Bought me a Kia/ford Festiva, 1993, cool little s$!% box tinker toy car. With 29 mpg A/C and automatic. Thats real numbers. My motorcycle gets 56 mpg.
Next time I hear about somebody putting a diesel in a Donzi I will not laugh so loud.

That 1993 Festiva was my learner car for manual transmissions. Kind of an Easter egg funky tint green color. Good lil econobox ride. My favorite part was that hollow ting noise you got when closing the doors. If you had one, you'll remember that. By the way, worst gas mileage I have had so far on a motorcycle is a Honda 1500 goldwing. Only got 35mpg. The Harley twin cam 88 engine is around 45mpg. My old Suzki 850 inline 4 was in the 50's. Oh ya, we had a chevy chevette 4 banger also. Those suckers were cop cars for a short period of time. See attatched.

Ed Donnelly
04-07-2006, 07:54 PM
My F150 gets 11 m.p.g. ( I have a lead foot).. If I get a 3 day job or longer, I use the truck to drop off tools and equipment,then use the Harley until the last day.If the job is outside of the city, I can save up to $100 on gas...Ed

86fxst
04-08-2006, 06:12 AM
Got a civic Hybrid last year - was getting 54 mpg. on road trips last summer. Bike gets around 45; then things get worse from there: truck gets around 20 and old Corvette gets 11:boggled:

Carl C
04-08-2006, 06:59 AM
Between the boat and the tow truck it's gonna be easy to drop over $500 for a couple days of fun on the water. Oh well, is anything cheap about boating? You can't tow a boat with a bike or a piece of crap hybrid that might last 10 years so that isn't the answer.:cartman: :stan:

MOP
04-09-2006, 08:18 PM
To add a little to Todd's thing about the batteries, They will have to go back to refurbishing batteries. When I was in the military they rebuilt most all the batteries especially the big truck and aircraft batteries, not sure just how much that will save on the pollution issue but it has to help. One day the earth will wallow in its garbage if steps are not taken and soon!

Phil

FUELPOWERED
04-09-2006, 09:06 PM
All last year I could purchase 24 bottles of A-B for $10.79. Then, just before Thanksgiving, the same per unit price increased by $2.00! Talk about being held up w/o a gun. The liquor store owner blamed it on the distributors transportation costs. F- that, man. I'll be setting up a still in my own yard or consuming a lot less brew.