PDA

View Full Version : Seriously RARE 1978 24' Doral Project $1000

Dregsz
04-05-2006, 11:53 PM
I think on the whole registry we can count about 5 Dorals.

This one is a definte project boat. $1000
Don't wait around on this one.

It needs power and drive, a very good cleaning, 2 wood hatches, a back seat, front and rear upholstery, a helm and dash panel, gauges, and some cosmetics.

The hull and transom look very good.
I found it very interesting that the stringers are molded in composite, part of the entire cockpit sole. The 120 gal gas tank sits in the sole also and needs a hatch over it. it would only take a few hours to cut one out of balteck and paint it. it's not like it needs a whole new floor over barren stringers..

It was last rigged with twin outboards on Gil brackets. it would be easy and cheap to set that up again.
I know of 2 17" Hydraulic portabrackets, for sale here. Defintely the way to go.

In truth it is begging for a big block between the stingers and a new outdrive, hatch built over and rear bench, but that is for you to decide.
I'm impressed that besides power and a dash, (which would also only take a few hours, or you could take a mold off the identical glove box door on the other side and make it look factory), how little is needed to put this boat back together.

Aside from the sacrilidge of tearing into such a rare boat, I'd be tempted to pull the deck and fairing liner and set it up as a custom Pescador with a leaning post.

I decided I'm not up for this project right now but think I should pass it on to the Donzarrati.

The hull is available for $1000 USD

It is available with a burly steel trailer with brand new brakes and lights and two decent tires and 2 new tires, new coupler, new Jack and rollers, but easily converted to bunks, an additional $1000 for the trailer.
(the trailer is different then the one in the pictures, but looks real good.)

I do part time boat delivery and hope out of this deal, I could be hired to do the delivery at $1.25 per mile from here to there. (references available on request)

Good Luck and don't sit around thinking about this one too long.

Here are a dozen pics:

http://community.webshots.com/album/549248073NaTVaq

PM me for offers or questions.

Evan

TuxedoPk
04-06-2006, 10:45 AM
Evan, does your boat have a mini-bar in the seat-backs of the front seats?

Dregsz
04-06-2006, 11:50 AM
There are storage areas in the seat backs but they are not built out.
You could put a mini bar in if you want.
There is a big, molded in glove box in front of the Strb seat also.

TuxedoPk
04-06-2006, 12:03 PM
Evan,

Your Doral is actually rarer than you thought- it is one of the Sportster editions that have those funky front seats with the storage compartment.

The bar-set built into the the seatbacks was a factory option- mine didn't have that feature either.

Dregsz
04-06-2006, 12:13 PM
So how many Dorals are confirmed to exist by the registry and board members and how many are sportsters?

Dregsz
04-06-2006, 01:15 PM
The Hull ID number date is mostly covered by that aux kicker ob bracket.

TuxedoPk
04-06-2006, 01:29 PM
not sure what you mean by sportsters??

Matty, the Doral Sportster was an 'upgrade' from the standard Doral-the most significant difference in appearance being the front seats with openings in the back v. traditional style front seating.

Poodle- Can you post the Doral boat test article from the 70s that I faxed you a while back.

This review gave information about the available engines, options, and other models built on the 24' hull.

Dregsz
04-14-2006, 03:01 PM
http://www.boattraderonline.com/caddetail.html?/ad-cache/6/9/7/83486397.htm

Leroy
360-273-5921 eves, lv msg,

Call this guy for the boat. I saw it so I can answer some questions, not that you donzeratti have been burning a path to my inbox.

PM me if you want it delivered.

Since the fanfare to save a limited Doral isn't what I thought it would be, maybe someone should pull the deckliner off, slap some outboards back on, and have one badazz open fish boat.

That would be a great looking project.
They have molded console centers, (center consoles) for sale in overtons catalog and use the molded seats or weld up a cool leaning post.