PDA

View Full Version : My new '06 22ZX

Last Tango
04-04-2006, 08:16 PM
'06 22ZX w/350 Mag MPI (300hp), Bravo One drive w/1.65:1 ratio, 22P Bravo 1 prop 4-bladed SS (now 24 3/8 P Bravo 1). White upolstery with blue and black ZX trim, grey carpet, blue cokkpit cover, "Tribal Flame" graphics in shades of blue with smoke metallic flames and white trim. Flux gate dash mount compass left instrument cluster, digital depth finder (installed next to compass - not shown in pictures yet), hour meter, dual battery package, Quick and Quiet II exhaust, engine room fire extinguisher, porta-pottie (ladies favorite part), AM/FM/CD, sea strainer.
Last production 22ZX. Factory special, one-off.
No Bimini..... yet.
Jill Haskell, co-owner of Haskell Marine in Jacksonville, got the boat right after the 2006 Miami boat show. She made me an offer I couldn't refuse. She REALLY wanted my Classic 18 for herself.

MOP
04-04-2006, 09:04 PM
The very best of luck with your new beauty, many Donzi Daze to enjoy!

Phil

onesubdrvr
04-04-2006, 09:07 PM
Mark,

Looks great, can't wait to see it in person!!!

I must say though, I'll miss the #6 Thundertub Motorsports 18' Classic :D

Hope to see it soon
Wayne

Last Tango
04-04-2006, 09:29 PM
Wayne,
I have a disc of pictures for you from Mt. Dora, and some more shots of the boat. I'll add that disc to the "pile" of stuff I have building up for you for the website.

MOP and OneSub,
Thanks for the nice words. I will miss the 18, but it's time to move up to something that isn't quite as "entertaining" to drive when the water on the St. Johns River gets rough. That also means more boating days even when we are getting Nor'Easters and Sou'Westers. Also have had an overwhleming request for "facilities" for the ladies.
It was love at first sight. Haven't felt quite this way about another boat since I ordered the 18 back in 2000 and then watched it get built at the factory.
I can still trailer this one behind my Jeep Grand Cherokee, and the HEMI will be just fine with that load.

onesubdrvr
04-04-2006, 09:33 PM
Wayne,
I have a disc of pictures for you from Mt. Dora, and some more shots of the boat. I'll add that disc to the "pile" of stuff I have building up for you for the website.

One day we'll meet back up :boggled: Thanks, can't wait to get the "stuff" and get "it" done!!

Thanks again
Wayne

22zxla
04-04-2006, 09:54 PM
Hey boat looks great! Really like my 22zx took it out yesterday! Anyway you said its the last production 22zx, is donzi going to stop making them? Seems like the Donzi home web page has been the same forever.Never any new info on boats are anything.Just curious about if the 22zx is being discontinued?

ChromeGorilla
04-05-2006, 05:34 AM
Mark, congrats man! I sure do miss runnin the St. Johns. And I miss meeting up with that 18 at Outback.....:bawling: I can't wait to see the new ride....... Happy for ya!:yes: :beer:

LKSD
04-05-2006, 07:30 AM
Sharp boat!! Jamie :)

BUIZILLA
04-05-2006, 08:12 AM
Smart move Mark.....

need full size pic's.....

need's a Whipple... :D

LKSD
04-05-2006, 08:30 AM
No whipples available for that.. How about a procharger??
Jamie / Lakeside 570-639-2628

Whipples? We dont need no stinking whipples!

Rootsy
04-05-2006, 08:45 AM
No whipples available for that.. How about a procharger??
Jamie / Lakeside 570-639-2628
Whipples? We dont need no stinking whipples!

Really???

http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/product.asp?ProdID=1216

BUIZILLA
04-05-2006, 08:51 AM
sorry, JW, but i'll take a Whipple over a ProCharger any day of the week..... :wrench: :shades:

Mr X
04-05-2006, 10:27 AM
Congrats on the new ride Mark!
I can not wait to see her.......

Not to hijack this thread any further.....I wonder how hard it would be to
install a pro charger on these? Removing the blue air plenum is not an option
for me. I could run the supercharger right into it where the flame arrestor is located. Any thoughts guys?

LKSD
04-05-2006, 11:00 AM
Really???
http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/product.asp?ProdID=1216

Rootsy, I tried to get 2 for a new Formula about a month or so ago & the ecms were a problem for them on the newer stuff. Also there was a really long wait (not 4-6 wks).. Maybe they got their act together with some of the new stuff since then..

Sorry Buzilla, Both are good products & I sell both.. Whipple is better suited towards the BB stuff with twins in my opionion.. However I am still a bigger Procharger fan. They install easier, faster, cheaper & if something goes wrong with the sc you can usually get back to the dock. I have set these up & they have run great!..

LKSD
04-05-2006, 11:02 AM
Congrats on the new ride Mark!
I can not wait to see her.......
Not to hijack this thread any further.....I wonder how hard it would be to
install a pro charger on these? Removing the blue air plenum is not an option
for me. I could run the supercharger right into it where the flame arrestor is located. Any thoughts guys?

You would have to remove that plenum no matter whether it is a whipple or Procharger going on... Also The procharger is usually easier to install.

RickSE
04-05-2006, 11:09 AM
Congrats Mark. I bet you'll really like it.

Now that you mention it I did notice that the 22ZX is not on Donzi's 2006 price sheets. I guess like you said it is no more. Kind of surprising since I always thought this was a nice entry level boat for Donzi and a good seller. The 22ZX was the biggest boat we ever sold in New Mexico.

So this year Donzi officially killed the 22ZX, 33ZX & 45ZX. What's next? Sounds like the ZX is a dieing breed.

LKSD
04-05-2006, 11:15 AM
Congrats Mark. I bet you'll really like it.
Now that you mention it I did notice that the 22ZX is not on Donzi's 2006 price sheets. I guess like you said it is no more. Kind of surprising since I always thought this was a nice entry level boat for Donzi and a good seller. The 22ZX was the biggest boat we ever sold in New Mexico.
So this year Donzi officially killed the 22ZX, 33ZX & 45ZX. What's next? Sounds like the ZX is a dieing breed.

Unfortunatley the Zr's are going to be replacing the Zx's.. The 38zx is the only one still currently available new from them.. At least for now.. Its too bad, we too liked the Zx for many reasons.. Jamie / Lakeside

RickSE
04-05-2006, 11:16 AM
You would have to remove that plenum no matter whether it is a whipple or Procharger going on... Also The procharger is usually easier to install.

Plus you keep all 8 injectors with the Procharger. I believe the Whipple system replaces the 8 injector set up with two. My fear would be that if you loose an injector on the Whipple, you lean the motor out significantly and bam it's done.

Mr X
04-05-2006, 12:01 PM
Jamie, why would I have to remove the plenum?
It is all made of metal and is an integral part of the engine.
My thought was to run the boost right into the large round opening
where the flame arrestor is now located.......

No argueing, just trying to learn.... :smile:

LKSD
04-05-2006, 02:29 PM
Jamie, why would I have to remove the plenum?
It is all made of metal and is an integral part of the engine.
My thought was to run the boost right into the large round opening
where the flame arrestor is now located.......
No argueing, just trying to learn.... :smile:

Sorry about that, I just noticed you have what looks to be the scorpion package.. So yes the plenum would have to stay with a Procharger.. I thought you had a std SBC mag mpi... There is no "off the shelf" kit from procharger from this, but I talked to them today & we think it could be done though.. I have done some similar "custom" applications for marine that have come out great.. Those are my tricks of the trade though.. I can tell you you would probably have to do a remote intercooler & custom plumbing set up to make it work.. If you want to email me your engine serial # and a picture of the front of the engine.. I could better then tell if the belt routing & accessory locations are still the same and better determine the chances of making a kit work.. Let me know if you want me to look into it further for you.. :) Jamie /Lakeside :)

smokediver
04-05-2006, 08:48 PM
hey , congrats Mark !!!! Beautiful boat !!!!

Last Tango
04-05-2006, 10:15 PM
Well, I'm really enjoying this chat about the superchargers. I will wait until the warranty is up next year and then consider one of the two choices (based on the discussion). So keep talking here where I can watch the to and fro.
I have the new style Bravo One. Will that be strong enough for a Supercharger? What about the internal engine stuff like pistons and rods and crankshaft? The 22 Classics with the 496 Mag HO have been coming with the next level up Bravo One X. Does that mean the possible 450 HP from a supercharged engine will blow my standard Bravo drive?

I'm probably going to a shiny header and riser package for this motor. Does Anyone have a suggestion? The EMI Thunder set-up on my 18 was really nice. But this 350 Mag MPI had all sorts of mounting brackets for stuff, attached to the risers. That was not the case with my MX6.2MPI motor in the 18.

Who has a good website for window shopping for stuff to brighten up the motor (valve covers, etc).

The word from my dealer was this hull was the last 22ZX built. Donzi factory knew that and did it up special with all the stuff and took it to the Miami boat show. Haskell's Marine bought the boat because there were no takers at the Miami Boat Show. I saw the boat in their showroom for the first time last Wednesday afternoon and it took me less than two minutes to trade in the 18for it. I had sold my '99 Carrera and closed the deal only 20 minutes before and was just driving home with my pockets smokin' with cash and thought I would drive by the dealership and see how things were going with the Angel Aid Poker Run from their side of the fence...

ChromeGorilla
04-05-2006, 10:32 PM
Mark: "Nancy, I'll be home in a little bit. I am going to Haskells to check on some 'Angelaid stuff'."
Nancy: "OK sweety, see you then."
1 HOUR later
Mark: "Honey, I'm home!"
:rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol:

Last Tango
04-06-2006, 08:21 AM
:rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol:

Nancy:":uzi: "

Mr X
04-06-2006, 08:56 AM
"There's no more manly, hairy-chested,
testosterone-filled vehicle than a JEEP...
with a HEMI...
pulling a DONZI"

Except maybe a 4X4 Excursion with a Powerstroke Diesel, pulling one down the road at 85MPH!!

Last Tango
04-06-2006, 01:37 PM
Glad to see all of my SEADOG buddies are enjoying this thread, as well as others.

Help, please.
I only just acquired my first digital camera about a month ago. Yes I know, "Welcome to the 21st century." I'm not much of a technology leader. I still have dial-up Internet and not looking forward any time soon to going high speed. I want to post pix here for everyone to enjoy. But most of the shots I take seem to be in the 700-750 KB size range. Although I have figured out how to do the Avatar, I apparently don't have the technique down, or the patience to wait for a 700kb down load of a picture because I can't seem to put any up here.
Please tell me the process in simple terms (i.e. push this, click that). I have my photos downloaded onto my computer (ta-dah!) and in nice folders where I can find them. I also burned my first discs from those pictures (ta-dah, again!). Just don't seem to have the wrist techniques for thumbnails here. How do I avoid downloading poster size pix? hahaha.

RedDog
04-06-2006, 02:06 PM
Download and install Image Resizer - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

scroll down and look on the right side of the screen and click on "ImageResizer.exe". When it is on your computer, double-click on the file "ImageResizer.exe". It will install. You may have to reboot your computer?

Go to the folder that has the picture you want to resize, right-click your mouse on the file, select "Resize Pictures" - you'll see the options for resizing

pmreed
04-06-2006, 03:58 PM
Mark, most digital cameras come with enough software to do most of the basic editing functions. Look at the software suite that came with the camera and look at editing. That's where you usually find the ability to resize.

Phil

Last Tango
04-11-2006, 08:53 PM
Work station of the 22ZX. That embarassingly empty spot on the instrument cluster to the far left is now filled with a flux gate compass and digital depth finder.

Last Tango
04-11-2006, 09:03 PM
I'm now officially part of the 21st Century! Enjoy the pix, gang!
Hull graphic is called Tribal Flames.

22zxla
04-11-2006, 09:21 PM
Wow! Really like the look of that boat! So its the last 22zx huh? Like what you did with the depth finder , always thought something should go there. Hope you enjoy!

Mr X
04-11-2006, 09:25 PM
Wow! Its beautiful Mark!
Hope to see it in person soon.

Last Tango
04-11-2006, 09:36 PM
Ted,
Maybe we should set up some sort of "coming out" party for the 22ZX by having a SEADOG reunion at Porkeys in the next few weeks.

22ZXLA,
What is the recommended procedure for going forward on the bow to tie up? Can't use the windshield for a grabhandle, and don't have any decklights to climb up through.

Mr X
04-11-2006, 09:44 PM
Now that sounds like a great idea!
Or in Sanford on Lake Monroe.....?

Last Tango
04-11-2006, 09:45 PM
And then there is the issue of naming this vessel. Early returns have narrowed the hunt somewhat. Here are a few "Keepers" in no particular order:

1. Loaded for Bare (yes, I spelled Bare correctly for this application)
2. Cool Jazz
3. Wild Thang
4. Outta da Blue
5. Blue Thunder
6. Donzi Quixote (current front runner)

So, I officially open up this thread to suggestions for a name.

Mr X
04-11-2006, 09:49 PM
Blew by you.
Or a variant of,
Blue bayou
Blewbyyou

LKSD
04-11-2006, 09:52 PM
Sweet ride!! :) It looks great !! : Jamie

22zxla
04-12-2006, 06:02 AM
As far as getting to the bow i just jump over the fairing. I dont have the clear windshield on top of mine like you have. Thought love the look of it! Saw a post few days ago bout someones cracking , now im leary about jumping over mine!AS far as name havent named mine either mainly cause really no room on transom or swim platform. For your name think i would try to incorporate the fact that its the last one made. Just a thought.

Cuda
04-12-2006, 06:35 AM
I like the graphics. What brand is that trailer?

Cuda
04-12-2006, 06:38 AM
Ted,
Maybe we should set up some sort of "coming out" party for the 22ZX by having a SEADOG reunion at Porkeys in the next few weeks.
I'll run to Porkey's anytime. If anyone else wants to run from the south, it's a nice 30 mile run from here.

Cuda
04-12-2006, 06:42 AM
I forgot to ask,.....................did you supersize the bimini for 39 cents more?:cistineb:

Last Tango
04-12-2006, 12:20 PM
Cuda,
You bring 'em up from the south, and I'll bring 'em down from the north and we'll converge on Porkey's. I know Ted is still a bit queasy about going there since his infamous Ted-burger experience there years ago. But maybe we can convince him to come anyway. We need a "fresh" photo of the SEADOGs to go with my historic one.
On the Bimini front... I considered doing a custom fit Bimini that would tuck under the front fairing and windshield when not in use. I also wanted to make a complete Eisenglas enclosure including windshield, sides, and camper rear so it could be set up like a pop-up camper.
Unfortunately for me and lucky for you, the front fairing is sharply curved and there is no good way to tuck it under there and make it look right since the bows on the Bimini are essentially rectangular. Unless I wanted the Bimini top bows to be curved like a Connestoga wagon (or early Porsche Speedster top). Or, I COULD have it lay BACK in front of the engine cover, but I had YOUR best interests in mind and felt your continued good health far exceeded my needs for a Bimini since it would make you sick to death if I did one. LOL!
Besides, isn't that what that little cuddy cabin is for?

BUIZILLA
04-12-2006, 01:09 PM
Mark, I like that boat. I think ya did good.

Jim

ChromeGorilla
04-12-2006, 04:06 PM
Rest in peace ...... LAST TANGO

http://www.hotboat.com/image_center/data/500/2445DSCF1073.JPG
http://www.hotboat.com/image_center/data/500/2445DSCF1077.JPG

Donzi LG
04-12-2006, 06:14 PM
Mark, beautiful ride! I too love the graphics. You're going to love it!!

John

Last Tango
04-12-2006, 09:29 PM
Cuda,
LOADMASTER. 4-wheel disc brakes. Radial tires. Reverse lights on the Jeep actuate the electrically switched reverse lock-out on the actuator. No need to jump out and throw a switch. Just put the Jeep in reverse and back up lights circuit on the Jeep tells the actuator not to engage the brakes. Uses a 5-pin connector. Jeep already has a 7 pin outlet. Simple off-the shelf 7-to-5 adapter.

CG,
Julie will LOVE the pix! Thanks for posting them here! I'm sending her the link. You Da MAN!!!

Mr X
04-12-2006, 10:04 PM
Yes its true Mark, I still have nightmares about "THE WILD HOG BURGER!" http://smilies.vidahost.com/otn/other/pukeface.gifhttp://smilies.vidahost.com/otn/animals/oink.gif
Sounds like fun! Lets try to pin down some dates.
Is their parking big enough for the 28ZX on a trailer?

Last Tango
04-12-2006, 10:26 PM
X-man,
Sorry to "bring up" those memories for you. HAHAHA!
Last time we gathered at Porkey's, Cuda and Debbie brought the Magnum on a trailer. They had plenty of parking right next to their room (room number 1). Actually room for a couple of larger rigs there, side-by-side.
I'll check my calendar tomorrow and come up with some suggestions. I'll also call Porkey's to make sure we aren't showing up on a Bass tourney weekend. How about you check the Scream & Fly folks to see when their annual Radical Boat Reunion is in Palatka. We can maybe look at joining them at the sand bar at Marker 23.
We'll try to set a date that is good for as many folks as possible. I wanna see SEADOGs! Maybe we can chum for folks like ChromeGorilla and GregK and OneSub and Buizzilla and MadPoodle and Smokediver and other distant Hero's of the Relm to show up. I think we can easily get Cuda and PMReed and CrackerJack and SpeedRacer and maybe even Tidbart and lonesome George with his awesome Minx. Several other SEADOGs locally who would have no viable excuse not to show up.

Cuda
04-13-2006, 11:09 AM
Last time we gathered at Porkey's, Cuda and Debbie brought the Magnum on a trailer. .
Actually, it's a Formula.

Ted, I didn't have a problem launching the 302 there, but if you want, we can run from here in Deland, at Hwy 44, up to Porkeys. A little over thirty miles. 17 miles of pristine forest from Deland to Astor to go through.

Last Tango
04-13-2006, 04:11 PM
"Actually, it's a Formula."

I knew that!

Okay, Porkey's the weekend of May 5,6,7th. $69 per night double occupancy. Make your reservations NOW! (386) 467-2310.

I am officially ending discussion of this event on this thread and opening a new thread in the events section. Everybody IN!

CrackerJack
04-13-2006, 05:34 PM
At least you got the color right this time.:rlol: :rlol: :rlol:
Nice looking DONZI, now you need a blue watch.:wink:

Last Tango
04-13-2006, 09:06 PM
Jack,
I agree! I'll pick something out and e-mail you the model number.
Hope you guys are paying attention to the thread on Porkeys. About time to get that X18 and new motor out of the garage and onto the water.

Speed-Racer
04-13-2006, 10:24 PM
Mark you always told me how much you liked blue...an now look what you have....Love the paint scheme! That's a great boat for the water your in...you won't even feel the chop. Let's see a list of addons to come...SS Exhuast, Blue bezels, Blue steering Wheel......

Somethin tells me you won't be riding alone anymore....but if you are I'd still be up for the ride:wink:

Mr X
04-13-2006, 10:25 PM
Brandon, is'nt it way past your bedtime?

CrackerJack
04-13-2006, 10:31 PM
Mr-X,

I sure am glad all you old DONZI guys have come around on the color a DONZI should be.:eek!: :eek!:

Roses are red, Donzi's are Blue.

Mr X
04-14-2006, 08:27 AM
Jack, let me finish that little rhyme for ya,

Mr-X,
I sure am glad all you old DONZI guys have come around on the color a DONZI should be.:eek!: :eek!:
..........I have one that runs, why dont you?

Rootsy
04-14-2006, 08:41 AM
LOL, now thats good comedy..
Oh, err, wait a minute here:bonk: :wrench: :confused: :bonk:

at least i'm in good company ;)

oh wait.. one runs... it just don't move :bonk:

Cuda
04-14-2006, 06:57 PM
LOL, now thats good comedy..
Oh, err, wait a minute here:bonk: :wrench: :confused: :bonk:
Hello pot,
This is the kettle.

:D

Last Tango
04-14-2006, 08:17 PM
Well, I brought the boat home today. All set to go boating this weekend.
My first post-delivery modification will actually be to the JEEP, not the boat.
Absolutely NOTHING WRONG with the JEEP. It pulled that sucker home like it wasn't even there. Amazing. And awesome brakes on the trailer. That backup switch thing is extremely nice, too.
Actually, the modification to the JEEP will be a graphics package to match the boat. I discussed this with a graphics specialist today. He is doing the customized registration numbers to match the boat scheme. And he is doing the DONZI QUIXOTE name graphics.
But we are going to do the Tribal Flames on the JEEP as well. White JEEP makes it sooooo easy. Like an artist's canvas just crying out for color.

ChromeGorilla
04-15-2006, 06:57 AM
Mr-X,

Tell'em Jack! :D :D :D :D :D :D

ChromeGorilla
04-15-2006, 07:00 AM
Jack, let me finish that little rhyme for ya,
..........I have one that runs, why dont you?
Oh snap........
http://www.hotboat.com/image_center/data/502/2445ohsnap.gif

ChromeGorilla
04-15-2006, 07:03 AM
Well, I brought the boat home today. All set to go boating this weekend.
My first post-delivery modification will actually be to the JEEP, not the boat.
Absolutely NOTHING WRONG with the JEEP. It pulled that sucker home like it wasn't even there. Amazing. And awesome brakes on the trailer. That backup switch thing is extremely nice, too.
Actually, the modification to the JEEP will be a graphics package to match the boat. I discussed this with a graphics specialist today. He is doing the customized registration numbers to match the boat scheme. And he is doing the DONZI QUIXOTE name graphics.
But we are going to do the Tribal Flames on the JEEP as well. White JEEP makes it sooooo easy. Like an artist's canvas just crying out for color.

http://www.hotboat.com/image_center/data/500/24454656395worthless.gif

Dr. Dan
04-15-2006, 07:53 AM
:smash: Mark I really like that name...very creative....can't wait to see the final package with the Jeep and all... Good luck with it...sounds like you have a re-energized love for your Passion... and that is a Good Thing.

Doc of the Bay :beer:

CrackerJack
04-15-2006, 08:05 AM
Chrome-G,
Check out the events section for Porkey's...:wink:

boldts
04-16-2006, 03:01 PM
Mark, Congrats on the new 22ZX. Beautiful color and graphics. Amazing how everyone is ready to spend your money upgrading a perfectly good, brand new engine package. Take care and best of luck with her!

Last Tango
04-16-2006, 10:23 PM
Donzi Quixote debutes.
Shake down cruise for boat and crew.
Perfect weather, perfect first day. Less than 4 hours on the engine but we did crest 60mph twice today for a few seconds, just to see if it would top 60 mph before running out of steam, and it did. I didn't push it hard or long, just a quick spurt to see if 60 was possible. Lots of response at the high end above 45 MPH. Engine/drive/prop combo cruised best at about 4000 rpm and about 45 MPH GPS. Next 1000 rpm added 15 mph. Speedo is about 4% optimistic. Engine easily revved to over 5000 rpm. A little prop cavitation out of the hole (Bravo 1 1.65:1 ratio, Bravo One prop 22P, 4 bladed), a bit like burning rubber in a drag racer. Doesn't need a whole lot of up trim at speed. Full down tabs at launch brought the nose down quickly and the boat on plane right away. No tabs needed after launching. Drive trim to the first 1/4 was plenty at all speeds. Stepped hull - the faster the better. No chine walk or loose feeling at 60. Probably needs a LOT more speed to do that, if at all.
Boat definitely feels much larger than a Classic. Felt HUGE behind the wheel. Ran over 2-3 foot seas like they weren't even there. Windy, gusty, rough water today, but the boat made it all disappear.

Only problems were limited to the dealer installed sea strainer. Input hose could not be tightened enough to stop a serious flow of water from around the hose fitting they put in. Hose looks like small diameter dryer vent hose from Home Depot. We tried to tighten the two hose clamps but it wasn't the answer. Bilge pump well ahead of the amount of water coming in. Water would only leak in when the engine was NOT running. Otherwise there was plenty of suction from the output side to keep things dry when the engine was idling or higher. Played a little havoc with the temperature gauge and sensors to have that leak. since it was probably sucking air when the low pressure was the other way. When running at any speed above idle, no leaks and no air/cooling problems. So I just need to have them put the same kind of hose used on the rest of the system.
Since I have a two battery system, I simply put the bilge pump on Battery Two only while we went onto the restaurant for lunch, thus ensured a solid Battery One for starting when it was time to go. When we came back to the boat, everything was working fine, the bilge pump was sending out a squirt now and then, but not working hard. Without switching over to Battery One, I fired up the motor off Battery Two without the slightest hint of drainage for the work it had performed over the last hour. I ran Battery Two only on the way back just to charge it up again.

Launching and recovering was a total beeze. FAR easier and less in the water than the 18C needed. Jeep and electrical connectors never got wet. Recovery was a piece of cake, even though we suffered our second failure of the day when a the small cog on the crank handle shaft on the winch just fell in half. But the boat was already up to the rubber stopper under its own power. We were lucky in that the winch was already tight and the boat secure. The winch drum was locked and the boat tight. The little cog just fell in half. Easy replacement.
Loadmaster trailer worked awesome, and towed and braked extremely well. But I did go around and have to tighten almost every bolt on it, particularly the winch support. I also checked the tire pressures on the trailer before we left the house while they were still cold and they were all a few pounds high so I bled them back down to 50 PSI and we were off.
Jeep still not sure it is actually TOWING something back there. Tow/Haul mode button keeps it from going into overdrive, but still lopes along at only about 2,200 rpm at 70 mph. No jiggle, sway, or reflash over bumps. HEMI and tranny all stayed cool and at the normal daily operation temperature.

Cuda
04-16-2006, 10:35 PM
Sounds great Mark, I'm glad you are very happy with it. It sure is a fine looking boat.

I'll be working up your way the next couple weeks, maybe I'll have time to take a look at it.

Last Tango
04-16-2006, 10:49 PM
Cuda,
(904) 534-9928 cell

PS Bring Debbie in case we find something else to fix. LOL!

Cuda
04-16-2006, 10:55 PM
While I'm headed to Orange Park tomorrow, she's heading south to Cocoa Beach.

Budmann
04-17-2006, 09:58 AM
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mark, the boat looks AWESOME!!!! What a hot graphic design.
You da man...:garfield: :garfield: :garfield: :garfield:

Last Tango
04-24-2006, 09:45 PM
This past Sunday was Donzi Quixote's official post-shakedown christening and Maiden Voyage. There to share the ceremonies was the lovely and creative Aye Candy who really rolled out the carpet for this event. We also invited another couple who share the boating/Porsche thing. They were impressed and amazed at the boat, it's enjoyable characteristics, performance, and party spaces, as well as Aye Candy's amazing preparation and presentation of gifts and delicacy's to make this day special. She caught us all totally off guard and really made it an event.
Aye Candy got her first look at the boat on Sunday morning, but had already lurked the pages of this thread to see the pictures, and had created a very nice collage of photos and Donzi words for a screen saver. She presented the screen save to me via the internet. She was proud and excited to be a part of this even before she had a chance to ride.
While prepping the boat for launch at the ramp, Aye Candy jumped aboard to handle all the "inside" stuff while I handled the "outside" stuff like trailer tie-downs and such. She han't been in the boat until this moment so I let her explore our new toy. I could hear the ooh's and ahh's as she discovered first one thing and then another. She took aboard all the coolers and packs and made everything ready for the launch. She checked out the cuddy area and rearranged the "furniture" there immediately to suit her.
Once the boat was ready, Bob got in the Jeep, Aye Candy got out of the boat and smiled, and then I climbed aboard for the launch. Aye Candy was a little disappointed that Bob took command of the Jeep before she did, but she manned the winch handle and gave directions to Bob and thus took part in the launching.
It was when I first climbed aboard the boat that I got my first surprise. Resting on the shift control was a brand new Doo-Rag, in colors perfectly matching the boat paint scheme. I whooped with excitement and immediately put it on. Aye Candy beamed pride as I made a very big deal about the new head gear for the boat.
The boat launched quickly and easily, Bob got a lucky close-in parking slot for the Jeep and trailer, and off we went.
After a little warm up and demonstartion time with the boat we slowed down and stopped for a few minutes at Aye Candy's request. I turned off the motor and we drifted quietly. She reached down into her cooler pack and brought out a bottle of Champagne to toast our christening. Not a drop was waisted breaking it over the bow. Instead she pulled out clear blue glasses that matched the boat colors and we toasted and laughed and had a good time. However, the surprises were not over. Next she brought out of her cooler pack, four very large apples on sticks (large tongue depressers). The apples were coated with a layer of peanut butter and then chocolate, both dark and white. She had decorated the chocolate coatings with more little designs in blue and white with blue and silver sprinkles. Each apple was then wrapped in clear cellophane and tied with a multicolored blue ribbon and gold stars. WOW!!!!! Later in the day the four of us shared one and it was enough for all of us!
Finally, after lunch, Aye Candy demonstrated he final "gift" by removing her shirt and shorts to reveal an absolutely stunning new blue Bikini that also matched the boat. The design was as exciting as they get, with an open weave pattern that screamed SEXY and at the same time had a flesh color inner liner that provided legal protection under the sun.
We drove about an hour down to Palatka and tied up at Gator Landing for lunch, where Aye Candy treated ME on HER tab.
Bob and his wife Connie were as amazed and happy as I. We actually were able to maintain a normal conversation all the time the boat was running. The Quick & Quiet II sounded fantastic at warp speed without deafening the party.
We have another boating weekend coming up as Aye Candy and I host Dad's Thunder and his new boating partner, both all the way from Lake Erie.
It's gonna be a great year.

ChromeGorilla
04-24-2006, 09:58 PM
Mark, glad to hear all is well with the new boat. And I must say the graphics are fantastic! Congrats again!

fastcat
04-24-2006, 10:29 PM
Mark- Beautiful boat. I was watching for you on the river on Sunday. We were on the dock all day seeing everyone else have fun while we slaved away. Hope to go out this weekend and bring her around to try out the new lift.
Can't wait to see your new boat in person.

BUIZILLA
04-25-2006, 07:39 AM
Sooooooooooooooooo..................

where's the pic's of Aye Candy in the bikini....

this thread is worthless without PIC'S !!!!!

:wavey:

boxy
04-25-2006, 11:06 AM
Ya..... What he said ......

Looks great Mark, have fun.

Last Tango
04-26-2006, 07:42 AM
You are right. My Bad. We took LOTS of pix.

Here is my new Doo-rag

Last Tango
04-26-2006, 07:48 AM
Here is another of us toasting with the blue cups I told you about.

Last Tango
04-26-2006, 07:58 AM
Here is a shot of Aye Candy's "fruit". I took the other two shots in the kitchen this morning. Nice pair, huh!

CrackerJack
04-26-2006, 04:21 PM
Wrong watch.:rolleyes:

Last Tango
04-26-2006, 06:44 PM
Gypsy watch dealer hasn't delivered, yet. Hope it works better than the green one which now stops at 11:31 each night regardless of how wound up it is. Red one working fine, though neither is waterproof. Since the green one is not working well, I water tested it. However, results are not in as it didn't float back up after I flushed it.
Looking forward to wearing the blue one soon.

Last Tango
04-26-2006, 06:48 PM
P.S. White watch is $40 Timex. Waterproof. Multiple dunkings. Still ticking.:banghead:

ChromeGorilla
04-26-2006, 07:05 PM
Mark, man get with the program..... nice new BLUE boat with red lines..... shesh... ya gots to coordinate brotha!

Last Tango
04-26-2006, 08:19 PM
Yeah, I know about the lines. I looked at getting a couple new ones but they are like $40 a piece for the right kind and the right color. Those red ones are DONZI docklines, sent to me from the factory a few months after I bought the new Donzi's. I now have three sets of red lines. Most are mint, never used. Have the Donzi logo whipping at the loop.
I'm gonna wait a bit and see what sort of "goody" the factory sends me THIS time. I not only got a nice blue DONZI cooler a couple boats ago, which I use on EVERY outing, but I also got some nice little nicknacks.
CG, about how long after you got your boat did your lines show up on the doorstep?

ChromeGorilla
04-26-2006, 09:59 PM
Mark, I never got any lines from Donzi..... :confused: :bawling: Wish I had.

I know a few people who had purchased new, some months after I did and they recieved lines. I dunno why I didn't get any. Nice to have? Absolutely. Was I gonna pursue it? Nah, no biggie.

Hint Hint Donzi.... it's not to late.....;) :biggrin.: ;)

Mr X
04-27-2006, 06:58 AM
I thought the dock line program ended with "Z-Care" warranty program comming to an end.

CrackerJack
04-27-2006, 07:19 AM
Send me $100.00 and I'll get you some official Donzi SeaDog lines.

Last Tango
04-27-2006, 08:19 AM
Hmmm... SEADOG Docklines... Hmmm. How about we discuss that and more SEADOG T-shirts at Porkey's next weekend?

ChromeGorilla
04-27-2006, 05:00 PM
I would definately be down to buy a SEADOG shirt or 2. The SEADOG is by far the coolest Donzi Club macot..... :eek!: ;) :wavey:

sweet 16 1966
04-28-2006, 06:18 PM
Mark, Good looking and very functional boat! Be ready for many riders!
Hope to see some Donzi's Friday am. @ Porkeys!
Room #9 Fri & Sat.!

Need T-Shirts.

Last Tango
04-30-2006, 08:35 AM
Out on the boat all day Friday and Saturday this weekend. Sunny with a few clouds. winds gusting to 25mph. Good thing we didn't do the poker run this weekend (this was the weekend we did it last year). Same super rough water as last year. The 22ZX totally tamed the waves, though. No problem with the 1-3 foot seas on the river. Usual ugly water spots were Mandarin point and Switzerland point. 22ZX either ran on top of it all or cut through it without any drama whatsoever.
Ran downtown to the Riverwalk with Aye Candy and we sat outside on the waterfront right next to the boat at a Mexican Restaurant and had Marguaritas and Mexican "stuff" to eat. Nice warm breeze. Lots happening there with the NFL Draft going on and a big Jaguars Football rally at the Landing, with the ROAR Cheerleaders and Jaxson DeVille (mascot) on his scooter, and live music and giant tv screens to watch the NFL draft live, and radio personalities. Darn I just HATE it here in Florida. LOL!

Last Tango
04-30-2006, 08:48 AM
Transition from the C18 with the MX6.2 MPi to the 22ZX with the 350 MAG MPi is like going from a (street) Porsche Carrera GT3, to a BMW 5-Series. Not BAD. Just different kind of high performance. And A MUCH better party barge.

Last Tango
08-21-2006, 02:55 PM
Well, it has been 4 months since I bought the boat, I have about 34 hours on the motor, and about 12 days on the water.
1. This boat launches and recovers from the trailer a whole lot easier than the Classic 18 did. It tows beautifully behind the HEMI-powered Jeep Grand Cherokee. Even people riding as passengers on the way to the ramp always remark how nicely the Jeep pulls it and how the whole thing acts like the boat isn't even there. Fuel mileage when towing drops about 2 mpg from my "city" average. No more broken gears from the trailer winch (manufacturer admits they got in a bad bunch of gears at one point).
2. Boat is "displacing" white gelcoat onto the trailer bunks at the same two points on each side. This means that even though the bunks were custom fit for the boat, that the boat is riding too hard on the trailing edge of the hull step and the leading edge of the stern pad.
3. No problems with the engine or drive. However, the engine and drive appear to be working very hard and running hot. I was encouraged by the dealer to cruise at 4200 rpm because the boat would perform best there. That is 50 MPH indicated. The oil is hot, the drive is hot (gets that haze on it which cleans off), and the water stays right at the 180 deg mark. A slight "loss" of drive fluid over the past few months, but no leaks or boil-overs.
350 Mag MPI 300hp, Bravo 1 drive 1.65 ratio, Bravo 1 22P 4-bladed prop. Max rpm is 5200 from the factory and the boat will run up to there and indicates 62 mph on the stock speedo (Gaffrig II series gauges).
It is Florida, summer, and the temperature is in the 90's and the water temp is about 84deg. Sea level. Brackish water. High humidity.
4. I'm thinking I want to switch to a Bravo 1 24P prop. I had a 23P Mirage Plus on my Classic 18 with MX6.2MPI, Bravo 1 drive 1.5 ratio. The new Classic 18 sitting at the dealer has my same engine, an Alpha drive, and a Mirage 25P. I had a 25P on my 2001 Classic 18 when it was delivered and it was definitely too much prop. I did prop testing and ended up with the 23P. I believe the stepped hull ZX series work better with the 4-bladed props from everything I have read here on this board. Also considering a drive shower, but I haven't seen one that works with the new style Bravo One Drive caps.
5. Drive trim indicator works fine for about 20 minutes then pegs up for the rest of the day. Same symptoms every time. Dealer says it is not the gauge but the sending units on the drive. Trim is a funny thing. After much experimenting around, the boat runs 2-3 mph FASTER with the drive fully trimmed in at 50MPH when the step isn't even in the water. I was trimming it up to the "even" mark when cruising, but that actually slows the boat down. Anything above even is just very slow. The step may be the reason, but the step is dry at 50MPH on flat water. I cruised yesterday on realtively flat water with a slight wind ripple, and keeping the drive trimmed all the way in was the fastest for any given speed.
6.Trim tabs are only needed when coming out of the hole and carrying rear seat passengers. Two front seaters only and any fuel and the boat comes out just fine without ANY trim tabs. Full down tabs needed when backseaters are there, then bring to full up as soon as the nose falls.
7. Dark grey carpet is nice because it doesn't show dirt. But it gets HOT when in the sun. Same with the ZX pattern on the sunpad over the engine cover.
8. Folks still hum the opening theme song from the movie 2001: A Space Odyessy when I open the hydraulically-powered, mirrored, engine cover. "Open the pod bay door, Hal" LOL!
9. Rub rail taking a real beating early on and showing it. But it is easily replaceable and I will each year at the annual service. The plastic insert has all the damage resistance of Silly Putty.
10. Added a 12" SS grab rail right above the glove box and aligned with the indentation in the dash. Aye Candy thanked me, and it keeps folks from grabbing the plexi when standing up. Also added a hasp and lock to the hatch to the cuddy area, and a real SS handle to pull the door sideways when opening and closing the hatch. Much easier than struggling with that silly hole.

Mr X
08-21-2006, 03:02 PM
I always look forward to reading your posts Mark,
they are very informative and entertaining!
I agree on the rubrail insert.....I actually am looking
into replacing mine with something else.

Hope we can get together again soon.

Is it possible for it to be too hot to go boating? :)

Last Tango
08-21-2006, 03:15 PM
Naw, never too hot. A little more throttle always improves the "wind chill factor" over water. We sufferd a wee bit, yesterday, when idling away from the docks, but as soon as the the revs came up, we were all smiles. Fortuantely, the ramp I use the most is very nicely shaded by Water Oaks. Ah, Florida...
Let's get together and do 3 Bananas. I KNOW you will love that run!

BUIZILLA
08-21-2006, 03:25 PM
Mark, you might want to try about 3500-3600 rpm, 42-43mph.

I think 4200 cruise rpm is *out there* just a tad....., you'll just never keep the engine oil cool enough.

JH

Last Tango
08-21-2006, 03:42 PM
I agree with you completely. I ran for a while yesterday at about 3600 and the motor seemed far less fussy and the temps came down a bit even though I kept the boat moving for long periods. This boat has a nice sensation of speed even at 40 MPH. But, I prefer to cruise at 50mph because it feels even better there. I am hoping that by going to the 24P that the revs will come well off the rev-limiter at WOT, and push the boat fast enough to cruise at a nice 50-ish mph with a lot less effort. I only worry if the 3600 RPM with a 24P will have the engine grunting more and just as hot as at 4200 with the 22P because of the increased torque requirement to spin the bigger wheel.
But then that is what prop testing is all about.

BUIZILLA
08-21-2006, 03:47 PM
get a labbed 24p from throttle-up

JH

Last Tango
09-06-2006, 11:51 AM
So, Bald Eagle set me up with a Bravo 1 24P to test. I used it this past weekend at Lake Eufaula. The hole shot had less prop slip. The WOT RPM's topped out at 5050 RPM (vs 5200) The boat pushed very close to 65 MPH (indicated) with a full tank of fuel. two heavy-weights on board, fresh water vs brakish, 800' above Sea Level vs Sea Level. Big improvement. Mid-range cruising speed is now 50 MPH at 3800 RPM vs 4200 RPM.
The boat still struggles out of the water to get on plane, but better than before. But that may be perception since my 18C leaped out of the water on accelleration. Again, 300HP on a 3800lb boat, vs the 18C's 350HP on a 2700lb boat.
The Bravo One drive stayed cooler over all. No fluid over-heat, no white haze on the upper drive, and interestingly the drive trim indicator continued to function as long as I kept the cruising speed below 50MPH. So adding a drive shower seems like the possible answer to two problems, since the trim sending unit was obviously being affected by the heat of the drive. Water temp also plays a part in that I think as well. The lake was cooler than the St. Johns River.
I will be running the boat again this weekend, in home waters and without as much weight or fuel in the boat.
I sent Bald Eagle a check for his prop.
However, Big Grizzly is eager to do even more prop testing, so we will set that up. Originally, we thought we might do that at the Hometown Gathering at the end of the month, but he also had a great time this weekend at Eufaula and wants to do a weekend at his home on Lake Lanier, GA. I LOVE that idea, and it would give us maximum access to his props to test there.

Cuda
09-06-2006, 01:33 PM
Mark, is the B1 prop a four or three blade? I know I need more prop for the Minx. Ran a 23 cleaver this weekend, and I was at 4000 rpm at half throttle.

Cuda
09-06-2006, 01:40 PM
Naw, never too hot. A little more throttle always improves the "wind chill factor" over water. We sufferd a wee bit, yesterday, when idling away from the docks, but as soon as the the revs came up, we were all smiles. Fortuantely, the ramp I use the most is very nicely shaded by Water Oaks. Ah, Florida...
Let's get together and do 3 Bananas. I KNOW you will love that run!
I'm ready for Three Banana's any weekend we don't have Kyle. We ride the bikes there quite often. Beautiful setting. It's almost directly east of Porky's, but quite a long trip around by boat. The last time we were at Porky's, there were some folks that came from Crescent Lake by boat.

p729lws
09-06-2006, 08:05 PM
Mark,
Found a couple more photos from the weekend.
Later,
Dan

Last Tango
09-08-2006, 02:28 PM
Cuda,
Both props are 4-bladded. The 22P and the 24P are both Bravo 1's. I haven't tried a 3-bladed 25 yet, for several reasons. It seems to me that if the 3-bladed Mirage Plus 25P was too much prop for my C18 with MX6.2MPI and Bravo 1 drive with 1.5:1 ratio, and a Mirage Plus 23P was perfect for that boat, that putting that same 25P prop on a boat with 50 less horespower and 1200 more pounds to push, and a much wider bottom, would just not be the answer. I can't see modifying this 24P by labbing as that will run the rpm's back up, and thus the speeds back down. Now, it is POSSIBLE that a different BRAND, 4-bladed prop in a 25P MIGHT be an improvement since it potentially would be cut and cupped differently than the Bravo 1 series props. That is why I am going to try some of Big Grizzly's TURBO and SOLAS props when I go to Lake Lanier or Sarasota. I KNOW intuitively that the next size Bravo 1 prop is unlikely to produce gains.
If you are bringing your Minx to Sarasota, you are welcome to try my Bravo 1 22P take-off to see if that is good or bad. But I would expect your minx to run best with a 3-bladed 25P since the hull is a Classic design, and not a stepped hull like mine.
I will be out on the St. Johns River this weekend using the 24P that was so successful for me at Eufaula. I will be able to do and apples-to-apples comparison once I'm out on my home waters.

Last Tango
09-08-2006, 02:34 PM
Also, Mr X. spoke with the current factory boat testor and he said my boat should have been shipped with a 24P Bravo 1. The fact that it didn't come to ME with a 24P is interesting and a subject I will broach with the dealer. Anyone know where the factory build sheet is hidden in an '06 22ZX?

Dan,
Those pix are excellent! Emmo at the wheel of my boat on Saturday morning when we first launched. BOY WAS HE SURPRISED when I told him to be the boat handler and let ME deal with the trailer and Jeep.
And the other is on Sunday with Emmo's friend who is now looking for a Donzi of his own aftrer this past weekend. He was really smitten by the Donzi Bug after the run and beach party and the conversation at Forrest's house. As youn can see Emmo was doing his Taliban imitation.

Last Tango
09-23-2006, 05:52 PM
Results from todays’ prop testing:
Location: St. Johns River, 15 miles south of downtown Jacksonville, Florida.
Conditions: Mid-morning, Temp 84 Deg, Humidity 60%, Altitude – Sea Level, approx Lat/Long 30.05N/81.5W, winds SE @ 5kts, seas 3” ripple on 1’ rollers with 30-35’ spread, tide – high, slack. Open water, no traffic or obstructions, brackish water (tidal). Barometric pressure - not measured.

Load: Boat - 3800lbs dry wt as published by factory. Fuel – approx. 30 gal Regular (87 Octane) pump gas purchased from commercial automotive gas station, 51 gal tank. 2 male adults, approx 225lbs average, 125lbs Coast Guard required and misc. gear (previously weighed) including two 20lb Danforth anchors with full ground tackle.

Boat:’06 Donzi 22ZX (stepped hull) with Mercury Marine 350 Mag MPI/ 300HP, 44.5 hrs since new, Bravo One drive with 1.65:1 reduction ratio, Mercury Bravo One 24P prop. Mercury Quick and Quiet II exhaust system with open thru-hulls (factory Corsa baffled tips) and thru-prop exhaust (nonswitchable).

GPS – Garmin handheld, WAAS capable.
Speedometer – Stock Livorsi II Series with internal drive pick-up
Two runs. One North, one South. GPS figures are the average of both runs.

RPM MPH (speedo)/ MPH (GPS)/ Drive trim / Tabs
3000 23/ 20.6 In Full Dn (minimum sustainable plane speed)
3250 28.5/ 26.3 “ “
3500 44/ 38.7 “ Full Up
4000 51.5/ 47.0 “ “
4000 48/ 44.4 Drive trim @ 0 Deg indicated
4250 54/ 48.7 In Full up
4500 58/ 53.7 “ “
4750 62/ 56.7 “ “
5000 65/ 60.5 “ “
5050 WOT 66 61.0 “ “

What we learned:
1. Apparent best cruising speed: 3800 RPM, 48 MPH indicated (43.9 GPS).
2. No Gallons per Hour meter to test fuel economy. Would have been nice to know.
3. No trim tabs required for hole shot when only two on board. Trim tabs required with any backseaters, for quick hole shot. Fuel load has no impact of trim tabs use for hole shot.
4. Drive trim in any other position than full down (full “in”) slows the boat down, regardless of speed.
5. Stock mechanical speedo is optimistic…duh!. However, the error was a fairly constant 8% high.
6. Bravo One 24P prop is about 4MPH faster than the original 22P and dropped the RPM about 300 RPM, and kept the Revs off the limiter at WOT.

Planned modifications:
2006: Drive shower: Although the 24P prop allowed the drive to run cooler it was still hot enough at times to short the drive trim sending unit, though not as quickly or as often as the 22P prop. Also see next:
2007 Early: Smart Craft indicator (small gauge) to replace the un-needed Drive Trim Indicator (but still shows drive trim as one of its functions. Gains the GPH for measuring fuel economy, and drive/oil/water temps plus many more usable functions.
2007 Late(after warranty expires): EMI Thunder Exhaust system and risers (fully polished) to fit to the Q&Q2 system. Could raise the breathing of the system enough to gain back the 150 RPM up to the rev limiter, and gain 1 or 2 MPH indicated. Also removes 75 pounds of ugly black fat in the stern.

smokediver
09-25-2006, 11:48 AM
hey mark ,
have you tried a rev4 ? the blade geometry is pretty close to the bravo1 but it is a little smaller diameter . if the slip numbers stay close you should be able to turn a little higher pitch and get a little more top end .. your mid range might suffer a bit though ...

BigGrizzly
09-25-2006, 06:15 PM
The Rev4 doesn't go higher than 23 pitch. it would not be advantagous to go that route Maybw a 4blade TXP or a Fusion. I think I am bringing them to Sota.

Last Tango
09-25-2006, 09:32 PM
Over an average boating year, I spend a total of less than 20 minutes at WOT. However, in that same year, I will spend 75 to 100 HOURS cruising in the midrange (3500-4200 RPM). It is most important to me to get the absolute best speed and range in that area of performance. I love top speed as much as anyone here, and the jump from the 22P to the 24P was certainly nice. But the best part for me was more speed and fewer RPMs in the midrange. But I am not totally ignoring the top end improvement.

smokediver
09-26-2006, 04:56 AM
hey grizz ,
originally that was the case , but now they make a 25p as well ...

Last Tango
10-08-2006, 08:45 PM
Last weekend at Sarasota, we had absolutely perfect weather and light winds in the bays and offshore. The boat was absolutely superb in all of the conditions. What was really fun was running with two other 22ZX's close by. Although not quite as much fun as driving by a mirrored glass wall, having the other two boats in close range and same speed gave me a chance to "watch" myself. That has to be one of the best parts of Donzi Gatherings... looking over at the other boat and...well...wishing all those bikini-clad girls were riding with ME. LOLOL!!!

BigGrizzly
10-09-2006, 02:35 PM
Focous My boy and drive rersponsibly!!!!!!

Last Tango
01-08-2007, 12:44 PM
Well, with the new year here, it seemed important to mention taxes at this time.
Here in Florida, State sales taxes are fully deductible including the purchase of high dollar items like cars and boats. Donzi Quixote was purchased new in 2006, so I will be allowed to add an addition whole bunch of money to my deduction line for Florida State Sales Tax.
Additionally, the interest on my loan payment will also be fully tax deductible. The rules for deductibility require that the vessel have sleeping quarters (I have a V-berth in the cuddy area for 2), there be toilet facilities (I have the factory Porta-potty option), and that there be cooking facilities (I have an electric hot plate and inverter, for coffee and other hot foods and can carry water for over-nighters). These are the major requirements for the Second Home deduction under the IRS code.
If you are using the boat as a business deduction in some fashion, you have to spend a minimum of 14 days/nights aboard the boat per year to qualify for a business deduction. There is no similar requirement if you are simply using it for your own personal recreation.
As always, check with YOUR tax advisor before you file for either deduction. And sales tax deductions vary widely from State to State.

Last Tango
01-10-2007, 04:57 PM
Mr. X has returned to his proper lively hood at Donzi Marine and I couldn't be more happy for him.
He e-mailed me some mildly disturbing yet highly predicable news and pictures from the factory. A (non-military) 22ZX went down the assembly line last week. Does not surprise me in the least. Custom boat builders and specialty car makers will build whatever the market demands and pays for. A year after the 1965 Porsche 356SC production was ended, Porsche built 20 more in 1966 for customers who just couldn't get their head together for a 911. And so it is with Donzi. The molds are there for many recently discontinued lines. Need a 26ZX with 525EFI, no problem. Same with the 33ZX.
I remember a couple years ago wandering into the back lot and seeing the molds for the Z3250 sitting out there and an undressed Z3250 hull right next to it.

If you come, they will build it.

boxy
01-10-2007, 06:23 PM
Mark, did you pay a premium for the "last" 22zx?
I'm just trying to figure out why you would call the manufacture of a great entry level offshore boat "disturbing"
I know there is a demand for used 33's from boaters who want a go-fast, but still want AC and flat screens when they overnight.

Last Tango
01-11-2007, 10:10 AM
Boxy,
No, I did NOT pay a premium for my "Last" 22ZX. In fact, I got a superior deal from Haskell Marine (local Donzi dealer) who acquired the boat directly from the Miami boat show last year and brought it back to Jacksonville. They coyly waited until a very weak moment in my life (I had the warm check in my hand from the sale of my Porsche not 30 minutes earlier) and then dropped a super offer on me and a fabulous trade in for my 2001 Classic 18 (which lasted little longer on their floor before being whisked away by it's new owner who drove off laughing giddily).
Perhaps, it is only DISTURBING news to me, because I believed I had the last 22ZX. What is that worth? Probably little, other than my pesonal pride and that the factory built mine very special with options and graphics not otherwise available on the boat, since they originally intended it to be the last one of the production series.
I will now probably have to up the ante up by dropping my boat off with JW for a 496 MAG HO with B1XR drive, or something like that. LOL!

Last Tango
04-03-2007, 04:43 PM
Wow! I just realized I have had my boat a YEAR now!!!! Hard to believe. Bad thing is that the factory warranty on the motor and drive has now expired. Good news is I never needed it. Also means I have no excuses except $$$ to start the mods to the engine.
Drive shower is first. I could have done that much sooner, but the whole "it's already been a year" thing has really jumped up on me from nowhere. Also will do the exhaust system and get some shiny valve covers and stuff.
Bennett trim tab indicators and a small diameter Smartcraft indicator are also on the list. None of these had to wait for anything more than $$$.

MAN the time went by so quickly. Aye Candy e-mailed me just a bit ago to set up our "Anniversary cruise."

Cuda
04-03-2007, 06:43 PM
Where are ya goin'?

Last Tango
04-03-2007, 07:58 PM
Cuda,
I'll let you know when we decide. We are both so slammed with activities in April that it is getting hard to pick a suitable weekend that works for both of us. I will be in Deland this Saturday at the Volusia County Fairgrounds to participate as a seller in the Toy Train show.
We may go Sunday, but the weather is decidedly cool that day. It will struggle to the high 60's here in JAX - not a Julie boating day. It is also Easter, and that presents it's own special challenges.
The following weekend I have a track day all day on Saturday and Julie is attending a wedding for one of her girlfriends all weekend.
The weekend of the 20-22 is the SEADOGS event. And literally four other major things to do up here. But we could still eek out a day on Sunday the 22nd.
April 27-28 is another weekend of quadruple events to consider including the fact that I told my parents I would visit them in Cleveland that weekend.
May 12th looks like my next real opportunity to do a mini-gathering with everyone. But that is Mothers Day weekend. Hmmm
Life is such a challenge. Yea!!!!!!

Mudball
04-05-2007, 08:57 PM
Hi LastTango!
Congrats on having 'the last production' 22ZX!!
Even if they make a few more, they should not be considered 'production'!

Your boat looks BEAUTIFUL! It is a shame that they discontinued the model, as I love mine, as I'm sure you love yours. Mine is a 1999 model with the step.
===
First, let me say that I just now found this thread. Our lake (Lake Travis in central Texas), and my dock have been DRY since last June.
A recent big rain raised it 20 feet, so my dock is floating again! I am SUPER excited, and am working to get my 22ZX back in the water this weekend, after 10 months or so of NO BOATING!!! I'm also back into the forums because of this!
===
Since your boat is much newer than mine, I have a couple of questions and comments.

Comments:
Mine came with the 7.4mpi motor, and it is really interesting that you are running the same GPS speeds that I ran with that motor! I ran 61 on an average good day, and an absolute best of 63, on a perfect day with perfect chop.
My Gaffrig II speedo is like yours! WAY optimistic! Wait until you go over 70! It gets worse! But it's really fun with passengers who don't have a clue!!
(Note that my boat has an older version 1.5 B1 drive, and then I was running a stock B1 24p prop at ~4500rpm.)

Questions:
1. Since I don't have tabs, I was wondering if your boat with the tabs up all the way will ventilate the prop at a steady 30mph or below only when turning left? (When engine RPM's rise, and you lose speed.) If no, then I would assume that the engine weight difference might cause this, as I'm running a BBC.

2. Have you ever measured your X dimension? The measurement from the bottom of the V to the center of the propshaft, when the drive is down and central? Mine is 6". It would be really interesting to hear what yours is.

3. Does your boat have the 'Warning' sticker for having a trim down limiter? Mine does, and I'll be darned if I can find out where the limiter is, except my drive will not go negative in trim!

I'm asking these questions as I would like to know if Donzi changed anything along the way.

===

I am about to test a new (almost year old!) Throttle Up magic prop on my boat. I sure hope to hit 80. So far, I have hit a best of 78.2 with a box stock Bravo 28. We'll see...I hope it doesn't blow out beyond use at lower speeds...

My 22ZX specs:
1999 22ZX w/step
HP500 carb box stock, with redone top end at 180 hours, when I bought the motor.
1.5 Bravo 1 drive, 1999 model
28p Bravo 1 prop. (Note that ALL OTHER props DON'T work on MY boat, and I've tried ALL three blade varieties, as well as a few four blade varieties.
Throttle Up thinks that I should try a five blade. I may, but these are expensive.
Currently spinning ~5,100 rpm with the stock 28p stock Bravo prop.
All the time: 74-76 on GPS.
Best so far: 78.2 on GPS.
===
It will be fun to see what you do with your boat!! It sure is purdy!!

Oh, and my 22ZX at >70 is the best handling hotrod microboat that I have ever been on, and that includes many boats. Just don't turn much at those speeds.

Take care,
Kent

Last Tango
04-05-2007, 10:29 PM
Wow, Kent! You sure have tasked me on this one! LOL! Looks like I have a lot more research to do in order to get the best answers to your questions. Glad you are "feet wet" again. Some of our small lakes here have suffered the same problem.

I have not experienced any blowout at low speeds in either direction. Definitely getting good bite at those speeds and in sharp turns. The boat definitely slows if you hold a turn for more than 10 seconds, but the rpm's don't come up until you straighten out. In fact, I find myself adding throttle in long turns that heal the boat over, if I want to keep to keep the speed up to a specific level. But I will also say I have never thrown the helm over at any speed like a jet ski driver might do.
My trim tabs are all the way up all the time, unless I am accelerating from a stop with folks in the back seat. If the load is only me or a single passenger up front, no tabs are needed to come out of the hole quickly and get on plane. For times when I have backseaters, I put the tabs full down, accelerate, and as soon as the bow starts to settle (just a few seconds later) they immediately come right back up. I have not needed them to balance the passenger load or account for a crosswind. I have used them in order to keep the bow down and the boat on a plane when trying to cruise at about 25-35 miles per hour. But that is also pretty rare because above 35 mph (indicated) the boat will maintain a plane with the tabs up. The hull is best suited for cruising at 55+ and I need to work on the prop and power to get it to cruise at that speed. Right now best cruise speed for the drive train is at 3800 RPM (about 47 MPH).
Since you started with 100 cubes more and now have 150 more cubes, your torque to twist the Bravo 1 28P is much better than mine. Interesting that your boat started with a 24P which is what I have "graduated" to. I think I might want to try a 26P now that the boat has about 85 hours on it and is well broken in. It seems that I now can peg the rev limiter with the 24P. Maybe a labbed 26P would be the right ticket. Since I have the 1.65:1 ratio, it just might be even better. There is plenty of chat on this site to support 4-bladed props for the 22ZX including the fact that the factory put the Bravo 1 24P on rather than a 23P or 25P three-bladed Mirage Plus. I'm sure they did SOME prop testing before deciding on that.

I will check the X-dimension. I have never measured it, but I guess that would be a interesting thing to know.

Along with not normally needing tabs, I also have no need at any time to trim the drive up from the full down position. If you look at the data above, you will see that when I did the definitive test on the 22P and 24P that any trim above full down resulted in SLOWER speeds. Totally the opposite of my experience with my Classic 16, Classic 18, and my Z3250 Daytona. None of those boats had a stepped hull (my 22ZX is a single step). My trim is also limited to 0 deg down and will not go negative. I guess I have a warning sticker somewhere about that, but I'll have to check again. Once I read it and discovered negative trim would not help anyway, I just ignored the sticker after that. I haven't removed any stickers that the factory put on.

We sure have some fun, beautiful, and fast 22ZX's in this group. I need to work on "fast" some more. It is not as quick on its feet as my 2001 Classic 18 with the MX6.2 MPI and 1.5 ratio Bravo One drive with Mirage Plus 23P prop. But it sure is a lot more comfortable. And a ton better in rough water. I used to have to pick my boating days with the 18 if the wind was up or the temperature down. Now every day is a boating day.

Mudball
04-06-2007, 11:32 AM
Hi LT:
Thanks for the info!

It is interesting that yours too doesn't need up trim. I actually don't need any until >55 or so.
I go up to 1/3 on the gauge (not a lot) when at WOT now, as the rear tends to feel a little loose if I don't.
===
What's strange is that my 22ZX came with a 23p Mirage Plus! It was horrible! I drove with that prop for a year, until someone told me to try a Bravo prop. I couldn't believe the difference! I called Donzi, but they didn't seem interested in hearing about the difference it made.
I tried a Revolution, several three blade varieties, and a Hydromotive 4 blade. None worked nearly as well as the Bravo.
===
It sure sounds like a labbed 26 might be the ticket for your boat. I'm willing to bet you'll still be at or near the rev limiter, and will pick up 3-4mph minimum!

Your plans for upgrades sounds great.
I've heard that a good exhaust really does help the 350 mags. Then you'll be set when you decide to add a huffer!! And the weight savings will be like removing a couple of kids from the back seat!!

I think Throttle Up is in Florida not far from where you are...They are incredible to work with.
Here's a pic of my labbed 28 from them...I can't wait to try it out!

Take care,
Kent

Last Tango
04-06-2007, 05:15 PM
I thought you guys would like these pix I took at the Miami Boat Show this year. While Aye Candy and I were wandering around the show, we came upon Bob Teague at the Teague Performance Marine tent. Aye Candy is not the patient type and it looked like the guy in front of me was going to be there forever. She slipped away from my side and I thought she was just looking at other stuff. All of a sudden she comes up next to Bob, puts her arm around his neck and says, “ Bob, excuse me for interrupting, but I would very much like to introduce you to a friend of mine. Bob looked at Aye Candy and immediately forgot all about the guy he was talking to. Aye Candy brought him over and introduced Bob to me! For the next half hour Bob was fixated on Aye Candy and spent the whole time talking about all the cool things he has been doing lately as a stunt driver for Hollywood. He said Aye Candy would be a great stand in double for Pamela Anderson and would she be willing to go to Hollywood?
The first picture is Bob meeting me.
The second picture is Bob posing with Aye Candy for her DeMille close-up.
The third picture is Bob finding out that Aye Candy has decided to go home with me instead of going with him to Hollywood.
The last shot is the victor getting the spoils.

Last Tango
04-06-2007, 05:47 PM
By the way, I described my boat to Bob and he was impressed right up to the point were I told him it had a 350 Mag MPI. He frowned and said "Bor-ing." We all laughed! I explained that my purpose in being at the Miami Boat Show was to talk to the exhibitors about turning "boring" into WOW! He immediately suggested that I should simply swap out the 350 Mag for an Ilmor Racing 625 (the 7-10 would be too much for the boat) and one of his Platinum Series outdrives. Since we both know the guy in Jacksonville (who has previously worked on my Donzi's) who is certified to do Ilmor engines, that seemed to solve everything except the money part. The 625 lists for about $35k and then add the $10k Teague Platinum Drive, and a nice 5-bladed and labbed prop for another $5k and VOILA! It would immediately doubled the original price of my boat. LOL! SO maybe I'll just stick to the 350 for a while longer.

Mudball
04-06-2007, 08:12 PM
Those are AWESOME pictures with Bob and Aye Candy!!
I'll bet that was fun!!
===
On a practical note, I don't think the Ilmore V10 would fit in our boats!!

The BBC is tight already from front to back...
===
So, 625 hp is about 100 more than I have, which would get you what, another ~7-8 mph over an HP500? I added ~200 hp and gained 15 mph, roughly,over the 310 hp rated 7.4mpi. Carbed HP500's dyno typically at around 530 hp. Then I upped the compression slightly and added a crossover. Not much, but it might be just a little.
===
Here's what I did. I found a used HP500 carb motor with 180 hours on it and bought it for 10k. I sold my 7.4mpi for 3.5k. I put another 1k in the HP500 adding a bit of bling and redoing the top end. So I had 11k in the new motor. 11k - 3.5k = $7,500 in my upgrade.

No, still not cheap, but a heck of a lot cheaper than a new motor!!!
===
Ilmore's are really incredible looking, but the V10's I've heard don't sound good. There is something wrong with the sound of them, to me at least.

Oh, and my drive is the old style Bravo, before they even upgraded the gears. Your new Bravo is several generations newer and stronger. Mine hasn't blown yet (knocking on my wooden skull...)... You should be good for LOTs of HP, when you are ready!!

Here's a pic of my motor on the stand and in the boat...

Take care!
Kent

Last Tango
04-09-2007, 01:28 PM
I think I will probably persue the Colin Chapman method of speed for the 22ZX.
For those who need a little refresher, Colin Chapman was the creator of Lotus cars. Colin was an engineer. He knew automobile performance was a function of Horsepower and Weight. Colin surmised that far too much emphasis was placed on horsepower and far to little on the weight. In fact, as most folks worked on raising their horsepower, they also unwittingly uncreased the weight of the car, thereby reducing the performance potential of the horsepower gain. Colin used small engines in extremely light cars. Today's Lotus Elise has only 190HP from a stock Toyota 1.8L motor. But it also only weighs 1900lbs. That means only 10 pounds per HP. It also translates into 4.8 secs from 0-62 (0-100 kph). Tell me how many muscle cars with over 300 HP can match that and also turn the fastest laps on a road course. Yes, that means they also have to TURN... at SPEED... and STOP in a very short distance.
My point is that one can achieve performance gains by modifying the motor, or by reducing the amount of weight carried.
One can use a lighter weight exhaust system that doesn't necessarily make more horsepower but pulls 100 pounds out the the stern.
One can use lighter weight batteries.
One can keep to a minimum the amount of crap stored in the cuddy area.
One can prop for speed for when the boat is running light on "stuff" and fuel.

Sure you could strip the interior out of the boat and gain some there. But what fun is that? I will not go to that extreme. But I know that 100 pounds less gear is a performance and fuel consumption improvment for any boat.

I can also lose that 100 pounds at the gym...

CrackerJack
04-09-2007, 01:40 PM
Yea, and dump Aye Candy too.:wink: :wink:

Last Tango
04-09-2007, 02:20 PM
Be nice Jack. She is wearing that cheapass watch I bought from you.

Mr X
04-09-2007, 03:05 PM
and what a nice "Feaulex" it is, I must say!!!

CrackerJack
04-09-2007, 03:58 PM
Keep the watch, a broken one is correct twice a day.:boggled:

How many more would you like????:pimp:

Last Tango
04-25-2007, 10:53 PM
Registration forms will be mailed next week to those who have previously attended. Or get them online now at www.angelaid.com

Grand Prize (best poker hand) is a 2007 Yamaha VX Sport Wave Runner and trailer. More than a dozen places will receive awards (cool stuff). Hundreds of auction items.

Major sponsors are:
Haskell's Marine
Exum Electrics
Ron Turner Cycles
North Florida Yamaha
Jacksonville Landing
Tony Sleiman Family

Friday night at Florida Yacht Club: Resort Casual. Casino night and dinner
Saturday Morning: Breakfast and Skippers meeting (8:00AM) at Florida Yacht Club. Poker Run starts at 10:00AM. Cannons will fire the start from a Pirates Ship.
Lunch at Club Paris (yes, as in Paris Hilton) at the Jacksonville Landing. Bingo and Pirates show.
Finish at the Florida Yacht Club
Evening at the Florida Yacht Club: Resort eveningwear (but no jacket or ties required) or Pirates and Wenches costumes. Banquet and Casino night. Prizes and awards for poker hands.

Cuda
04-25-2007, 11:11 PM
Mark, I'll be up in your neck of the woods tomorrow. I have a pre construction meeting about a Home Depot at the Best Western at Hwy 17 and I 295 tomorrow morning.

Last Tango
05-21-2007, 07:39 AM
Kent,
Well, it only took me 6 weeks to get around to it, but I finally measured my X-dimension and it is right at 5 inches.
I'm sure there is probably some fraction involved like 5 and 11/677ths or some silly micro number that actually works out to .1321mm or something.
I was hoping for at least 6", but you know how that goes... maybe it will be more when my outdrive is erect.
Every powerboaters' dream is for a bigger prop.
Mark

Last Tango
06-18-2007, 08:34 PM
Here are some shots I took at the 2007 Angel Aid Poker Run this past weekend.
Lord of the Wings, Velocity 410 SS, is a local boat owned by the owner of a chain of restaurants called Fast Boys Wings. Boat is on the cover of HOT BOATS magazine this month and will probably be featured in every boating magazine this summer because of the wild paint job and big motors. He was at our poker run this week, and the Jacksonville Firefighters Poker Run last weekend. Poker Runs America did a feature spread on it. They would have passed on his boat had I had MINE there last week! LOL

Last Tango
06-19-2007, 09:47 PM
More pix

Last Tango
07-09-2007, 09:42 AM
Donzi LG
Paid Subscriber

New carpet for my ZX

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mark, a couple of months ago you were kind enough to snap a few photos for me of the "Twenty Two" logo on your fairing. I had a new carpet done for my 22 and used your photos to have them inlay the writing into the carpet in yellow. The new carpet looks awesome, I thought you might like to see it. Check out the link below and scroll aobut halfway down the page, you'll see a photo of it there. Just want to thank you again for taking those shots.
John
http://www.snapincarpet.com/our_work.cfm

Carpet looks great!!!!!!

Last Tango
07-13-2007, 08:34 PM
I wanted to post this picture of my interior, particularly the dash, because I'm about to make of couple a small changes there. This is the "before" shot. What is changing in a couple weeks is I'm dropping the boat off for its annual service* and some small mods. I'm adding a drive shower to the Bravo One. I will take a picture of it when it is done, since it is a new design dual pick-up with braided lines. I'm also adding the Bennett trim tab indicator switch in place of the standard switch which tells you nothing about where the tabs are. I am also adding a SmartCraft digital readout gauge in place of the worthless drive trim indicator to the left of the Speedo. Since no drive trim is used while running, I'm adding the small SmartCraft gauge that tells the trim angle, but also does about 30 other things, such as GPH, gallons used, gallons remaining, range, water temp, water pressure, oil temp, drive temp, RPM. drive angle, and a few more things. Since I have the latest ECM555 series electronics on the engine anyway, it seemed like a far more valuable tool than a drive trim gauge I never use.
Not shown in this "early" shot of the dash from last summer is the stainless steel grab bar I installed over the glove box for the comfort and enjoyment of the First Mate. And it keeps folks from grabbing the plexiglass windscreen when standing up there. You'll see it in the "after" shot next month.

*I do the service in the summer when it is generally too hot to enjoy boating anyway here in North Florida.

Last Tango
08-29-2007, 01:35 PM
From Waterskionline

Donzi 22ZX

By staff (more by this author)

Just as closed-bow inboard ski boats have found a niche in pulling water skiers at tournaments, the Donzi 22ZX has located its area of expertise too. No, it won't be showing up at the next regional three-event tournament, but it is certainly a boat that falls into a specific category, one that can give speed skiers and thrill seekers the ride of their lives.
While you may find it a bit odd that a boat of this size (over 22 feet long) and configuration (a cuddy) shows up at the WaterSki Magazine Boat Tests, consider that there are a number of our readers on both coasts who actively pursue circle races and offshore jaunts. To them, this is the only real ski boat in this issue, one that delivers exactly what they want: a big hull to flatten out choppy water, plenty of guts under the engine box for training and winning races, and enough style that it turns everybody else on the lake green with envy.
The 22-foot mono-hull cuts down rollers and chop with ease. While we didn't test the ZX in the bumpy waters of the Atlantic, it stood up to the best chop we could find on an inland lake, with no complaint from passengers. As you might expect, it rolled heavily in turns and isn't the quickest boat in its return to a fallen skier. If your skier goes down, tell him to take a blow and you'll be around in a little while to pick him up.
A MerCruiser carbureted 454 Magnum (300 hp) gave our test boat about all it could handle. While acceleration numbers were high (very slow out of the hole), top speed shined. This baby cooks at over 64 mph - it just takes awhile to get there. Varying the propping or going with a Bravo Three twin-prop drive may be just the solution if you're going to pull a lot of skiers. Throttle control at the high speeds is fine; it's the low speeds (between 15 and 21 mph) that required the most effort.
In the style category, we didn't test a boat with more of it. You won't mistake the 22ZX for an entry-level outboard; its statement is bold all the way, from its glossy two-color gel-coat on down to the cavernous padded cuddy area that holds passengers, skis and coolers - all at the same time. Up top, drivers get a wind deflector instead of a windshield, allowing them unimpeded viewing ahead (except on takeoffs, when bowrise is considerable).
Skiers who like to go fast, namely footers, will have plenty of room to showcase their style too. The curl created by the wide boat is spacious and allows for almost any trick. One-foots shouldn't be a problem, since the ZX will bring a footer along at over 44 mph. Other speed mongers, like circle racers or speed skiers, will find familiar conditions in which to play or train. The wakes are too steep at 30 mph to make crossings on a performance-minded slalom ski much fun, but they begin to flatten out over 40 and are crossable on a long line.
The Donzi isn't like 99 percent of the ski boats on the market, and it doesn't claim to be. Like the closed-bow inboard, it has its niche and serves it well. Only this boat flies.

Originally Published:
© 2007 Bonnier Corporation

Last Tango
10-01-2007, 07:56 PM
Here is a shot of the grab handle I installed last year. It is over the passenger side storage box (duh!) and there is an indentation there as if it was origianlly meant to be there, but a factory bean counter said, "You know, we could save $20 in parts and labor if..."

Don't bother to open the thumbnails as these are very large, and...well...you get the umm picture.

Last Tango
10-01-2007, 08:06 PM
Here are some shots of the 3 gauge clusters. The square item to the left of the Tach and Speedo is the SmartCarft System Monitor. It provides far more valuable data than a drive trim gauge on a boat that doesn't use any drive trim at any time other than to lift the drive for trailering.

Last Tango
10-01-2007, 08:11 PM
Next is a shot of where I mounted the Bennett Trim Tab Indicator. Note, to those planning this mod that it does not replace the actual trim tab actuator rocker switches, which are still up high on the dash in the original position and still easy to reach.

Ah, and the gizmo with suction cups, above and to the right of the trim tab indicator, is the holder for the cell phone/handheld VHF/handheld GPS. I added the hook side of the Velcro to the holder and the loop side to the VHF an the GPS. Helps to keep them from launching when Mike takes you across the mouth of Tampa Bay.

Mudball
10-01-2007, 10:18 PM
Next is a shot of where I mounted the Bennett Trim Tab Indicator. Note, to those planning this mod that it does not replace the actual trim tab actuator rocker switches, which are still up high on the dash in the original position and still easy to reach.
Ah, and the gizmo with suction cups, above and to the right of the trim tab indicator, is the holder for the cell phone/handheld VHF/handheld GPS. I added the hook side of the Velcro to the holder and the loop side to the VHF an the GPS. Helps to keep them from launching when Mike takes you across the mouth of Tampa Bay.

That's lookin' good Last Tango!

You might want to think about adding some bezels at some point. They really make the dash look like it has eye makeup on!
Here's a shot of mine....
Note that this was from GPS speedo recall...

Best,
Kent

Mudball
10-01-2007, 10:24 PM
Here's a shot of the whole dash...

Last Tango
10-02-2007, 09:19 PM
Thanks for sharing your dash here! It is really beautiful.

I had always thought that I would do the blue bezels and steering wheel to this boat. I did them in red on my 1999 Classic 16, 2000 Z3250 Daytona, and 2001 Classic 18, all three were red hulls with white trim.
But when I got this boat home and started thinking about the depth gauge and the SmartCraft System Monitor, it became evident that I would have to decide between those and the bezels since nobody makes bezels for those two that would match.
Also, because the System Monitor is square rather than round it would stand out as different rather than integrated.
Because so many performance boaters now opt for the colored bezels, I thought this time I would be different and leave everything white. LOL!
And it would hide the different shapes and sizes on the dash through the physics of "white-out."

Mudball
10-02-2007, 10:01 PM
I hear ya, LT.
Your smartcraft gauge does post a bit of a bezel problem...

I wonder if anyone makes a bezel for those? I sure haven't seen any, and if they did, it seems like it might be hard to make it fit.

But, your dash looks awesome! I love the idea that you can SEE everything from the smartcraft gauge!

My extra gauges are for water pressure and oil temp on the left. Man was it hard to make myself bore holes in that panel!! I'm sure it was for you too!!

One thing that I did is swap the tach and speedo positions, when I installed the GPS speedo. Have you had folks ask you why you are only going 30 at 3k rpm, or 40 at 4k, when it 'feels' faster than that?
That's why I swapped em.
I really like the speedo on the left.

It's a relatively easy swap.

Take care,
Kent

Mudball
10-02-2007, 10:33 PM
Oh and I forgot to mention that I DO use trim over 50. None below that.
I need that gauge!

And at WOT starting at around 60, I set it at 1/3 up from the bottom of the gauge to get max speed without headaches. Over 1/3 and it starts to get loose in the rear, kind of like driving really fast on ice.

Note that I have no idea how much 1/3 up is in reality, except that going there lets the boat air out way more... Also, full down feels funny at around 70. Kind of like you are stuffing in the water..

It makes about a 6-7mph difference on the top end trimming up, while in the 70's...

But, My 'X' (propshaft to V) is 6"!! That's DEEP compared to yours, and that might make a big difference. Mine is too low. Yours is probably near perfect.

Take care,
Kent

Last Tango
11-11-2007, 04:36 PM
Awesome boating day today on the St. Johns River. The boat hadn't been in the water since the Hometown Gathering in Sarasota so it was a real treat. Since then, the weather was either too wet or I was out of town. But today was perfect. Temp in the mid-70's, clear blue skies, a light breeze...
Took my excellent friend Naomi and her new boy-toy Hank, and Naomi's current roommate Steffie, and my newest boating friend Cici. Naomi is a regular on Donzi Quixote and CiCi wants to be. Steffie has not boated in 20 years and she had a blast.
Cici never gets too much boating.
Next weekend looks like good weather a well and Aye Candy is coming up from Orlando for the weekend, and boating is totally on the agenda.

I have all the recently installed goodies working perfectly now. The Bennett trim tab indicator works perfectly, as does the very handy SmartCraft system. The recurved prop (Bravo One 24P 4-bladded - now a 24 3/8" bend) digs in way better out of the hole and pulls much better all the way through the rpm range. I can now cruise at 3750 RPM at an indicated 50 MPH, which is really about 47-48 GPS. My SmartCraft system tells me that I am consuming about 12.2 gallons per hour (gasoline, not beer)at that speed and with a full boat of folks and fuel, which means I can play for just over 4 hours at that speed, or about a 200 mile total range. Obviously, I can do much better than that if I am alone and as the fuel weight burns down.
The dual line drive shower must be working because the drive no longer gets the grey film it had after each run session.

The motor is pulling strong and running well. Buuuuu-uuut that new 400HP 383cu in Scorpion motor that Harbormater is promoting looks very tempting. The stock original engine now is getting close to 100 hours since I bought it 20 months ago and starts and runs without a sneeze. And it runs on EL Cheapo regular. Perhaps 300 hp is plenty for now.
I keep Sta-Bil in the gas tank, in the proper proportion, to avoid water build-up there, which can happen easily in humid, tropical Florida.

Last Tango
12-15-2007, 04:19 PM
Went boating today with Cici Rider (fine quality Colombian). Full tank of El Cheapo, and no backseaters for a change. Cici weighs in at less than 100lbs (most of it those huge knockers she has). The air temp was 80+, water temp 74, very light ripple on the St. Johns River with light winds out of the southeast, below 8kts. Light, puffy clouds with broad sections of clear blue sky and warm sun. Humidity high.
We ran at 3500 RPM most of the day and that was an indicated 45 MPH. Fuel consumption was averaging 11 GPH.
Made one fast pass at 4800 RPM, 64 MPH indicated, fuel flowing at 21.3 GPH.
Whitey's Fish Camp for lunch and our booth had its own personal large flatscreen TV.
Life is good.

Last Tango
12-30-2007, 05:58 PM
Sunday, January 30, 2007. Temperature 79F, wind southeast at 5-8kts, skies are overcast with some sun breakthrough.
BMW78 and I launched at 10:30 AM from Goodby's Creek, cruised the river for a while, then headed downtown and tied up at the Jacksonville Landing. Tide was still running out, but was going slack tide. Ate at Hooters on the waterfront and watched football for awhile. Then we headed back out and let the wind and the sun color out faces and arms.
I wore my usual shorts and T-shirt. BMW78 wore the new Donzi Girl top and thong bottom I had purchased from Dr. Dan. No photo's will be included, but she did both very proud. Perhaps why things seemed even warmer than they were.

Last entry for the boating season, since things will cool down a few degrees tomorrow and I have to work all day.
Weather looking even cooler and windier for New Years Day. After that my travel schedule keeps me out of Jacksonville for the next 5 weekends, so I won't be launching the new year of boating for several weeks.
Happy New Year to all, and have a safe and fun 2008.

Last Tango
02-15-2009, 08:59 AM
This weekend marks 3 years since my boat sat under the tent at the Donzi display at the Miami Boat Show. Seems like an anniversary of sorts, although it was fully a month later before it sat in my driveway. My heart still pumps when I look out the window at Donzi Quixote on her polished aluminum trailer.
I had the boat in this week for a "look see" at the dealer. Last weekend, after about 40 minutes of easy cruising, the engine overheat warning came on the SmartCraft gauge. The temp gauge read a little higher than usual. So, I immediately slowed down and shut the engine off. Nothing seemed amiss. Raised the drive to see if we had picked up something underwater, but no. I pulled the cover on the sea strainer and nothing ugly came out. No smells, or anything indicating a problem. Fired up, engine came to normal temp and held, so and we launched again and ran a couple minutes, and then the overheat warning again. Slowed down, shut off, and reinspected the engine compartment. Nothing. Belts tight, no water leaks, no milky oil, no "hot" smells of any kind. Water pressure/temperature on the SmartCraft was normal for each RPM. Once more I fired up the motor and we slowly idled away. The temps were fine, so I added RPM's every few minutes until I was on plane again. I kept the RPM's under 3300 because there were no futher indications of problems at that speed, and I didn't want to encourage them. Made it back to the ramp with no further indications of problems or temp increases.
No smells, no unusual "things" in the usual places. Oil was clear, nothing brown coming out either tail pipe, the drive, or the bilge plug.
Took it to the dealer the next day. They ran it several times over the week and checked all the codes, and there was nothing indicating anything amiss. They inspected the impeller, no problems. Water pressure was great at both ends, and plenty of clear water coming out the pipes. So tomorrow I will run it again and see if I get a repeat.
I have the multipage detailed printout from the PCM555 computer analysis. Some very interesting info there...

FISHIN SUCKS
02-15-2009, 11:50 AM
Beautiful boat Mark! Love those High Roler Graphics:yes:

Last Tango
02-15-2009, 03:31 PM
Thanks, FS! I truly appreciate the compliment.

I want to share some interesting data from the PCM555 printout.

During 3 years of enjoyment, the PCM555 has been busy keeping detailed records for me.
As of today, I have run the motor a total of 132.4 hours.

132.4 TOTAL RUN TIME
24.6hrs 0-749 RPM Apparently a lot of my run time is at idle speeds and under 1500 RPM
36.8 hrs 750-1499 but also includes run time on the trailer for flushing, etc.
7.4hrs 1500-2999 This is the range at which I am accellerating or decellerating
23.9hrs 3000-3499 Slow cruise. This and the next rpm will grow more now that I have the SmartCraft to help
28.4hrs 3500-3999 Mid-cruise. save gas by clearly seeing what speeds are most efficient.
9.8 hrs 4000-4499 Fast cruise. I'm spending a LOT less time here now that I've had the boat a while.
1.2hrs 4500-4999 "Let's show that other boat..."
0.3hrs 5000-5499 18 minutes total in 3 years. Probably early 2006, when I was still running the 22P.
0.0hrs 5500+

Last Tango
04-24-2009, 02:39 PM
Seems only fair to report that the boat has had a couple "mystery" electrical issues during the last two months, which have now been fully and properly resolved.
I finally got a chance to put the boat in again earlier this month to see if the overtemp problem repeated itself. Before we were even hardly up on a plane, the motor shut down and all the electricals with it. Just dead. We floated at anchor for 3 hours until TowBoatUS finally got around to picking us up and towing us back to the ramp.
Back to the dealer and they played with it several times last week but it fired right up immediately for them and no indications of anything wrong. They water tested it this week and still no problems of any kind.
So today the Mercury Marine wizard and Haskell Marine did a wiggle check and sure enough... a slightly loose connector on the main wiring harness, which could also explain the false overtemp warning the month before.
So, back into the water this weekend. I really need to burn some gas this weekend. Some of that gas in the tank (protected by several types of Stabil products) is the $4.50 a gallon stuff from last summer. I want to run it almost dry on Saturday and then refill with fresh for the next few weeks of Spring.
Aye Candy and BMW78 have new Bikinis they are ready to try out...

22zxla
04-25-2009, 09:14 AM
Today is the day for me to awaken my 22zx! Same thing, gonna run that old gas out too!

Last Tango
04-25-2009, 08:03 PM
Today was very successful. I burned out 39.5 gallons of gas (out of 52), and added about 4 hours of run time to the motor. The weather was awesome, and there were no repeats of any of the electrical problems, nor any new issues.
Headed back out again tomorrow. Need to take advantage of the lower cost of gas, and the perfect weather, while it is still here.

Addendum: 4/26/2009 Second day of perfect boating weather and perfect boat.
I think I'll keep it a while longer.

Last Tango
05-18-2009, 04:19 PM
So, after 3 years, I bought a real VHF radio to mount in the boat.
I have a perfectly good handheld VHF, but they are basically worthless since the range is only line of sight or 5 miles, whichever is less.

West Marine has a sale going on this month and I walked in there yesterday just to have a look at the the Worlds Largest West Marine Store which recently completed construction and opening here in Jacksonville, FL. The building is about the size of a very large department store inside. So I got a heck of a deal on a new VHF, antenna, and antenna mount (as well as other stuff I found in the store that I needed all of a sudden. LOL!)

I am planning on mounting it vertically where I have the suction cup holder to the right of the steering wheel (see picture on post #141).
The antenna I bought is the 36" metal version with the booster at the bottom. I want to mount it on the gunnel between the fairing and the throttle so it stows down next to and inside the fairing. Might not look totally excellent when upright, but it is almost invisible to the eye from more than 10 feet away, so no biggie. That way it is stowable down and out of the way when I put the cockpit cover on.
It will not then interfere with the Bimini that I want to add later on.

I considered removing the AM/FM/CD radio and putting it in there. I have not bothered with the AM/FM/CD player since the first time I tried it right after I bought the boat. I'm not into music when I'm underway, and I'm not a float'n'drink guy.
There are two issues with that location:
2. Removing the radio may cause someone consternation when I eventually sell the boat.
1. It may be too low a mounting point to see what I'm doing with the buttons and channel selector of the VHF. I certainly can't see any of the AM/FM/CD radio face stuff when I'm sitting there. Has to be done by touch and memory. Some pluses to that location are:
1. West Marine has a white faceplate that would correctly cover the existing AM/FM/CD opening and properly support the VHF radio in that already existing hole.
2. That location also has enough depth for the VHF radio already. And all wiring would be hidden out of sight and out of direct exposure to the weather.

So this weekend I will sit an play with locations before I start drilling holes.

I am open to suggestions (Post them here - I don't Tweet).

Dr. David Fleming
08-10-2009, 10:22 PM
Mark,
I see you are holding down the long running thread on the 22ZX. Has been quite interesting to read it. I just got onto Donzi Registry after calling the factory and talking to Chris Collier the engineer who designed the 22ZX. I was quite interested to hear that it was in production this year for the military. Can't figure out what the they would want with the little speed demon with trick handling. Any rate love your blue boat. Am running the 1999 with 502 MAG MPI and K-planes. Never seen a 22ZX with this option. Yours is the first I saw with the factory installed compass. Collier said the boat was good for 100 mph wonder if anyone ever went that fast - have seen a few 22ZX pics with blower motors and a factory add listing the 500 EFI. How is your summer going?
Dr. D

jvcobra
08-11-2009, 10:06 AM
They should make a few more for the public, I would buy one. :)

Last Tango
08-11-2009, 07:51 PM
Dr. D,
Thanks for joining my "blog". LOL! I am surprised in some ways to find out the 22ZX is back in production, even if it is for a government project. In 2006, right after my "Last Production" boat was built, there was a small handful of 22ZX's built under a governement contract, but the contract was cancelled before the boats were delivered. Those boats were built with some unique "options" for the buyer. However, those boats were "reconverted" and supposedly sold off to dealers who were working deals before they were informed of the end of 22ZX production. Perhaps the un-named government finally got their money and approvals together and reordered. For the right amount of money, Donzi will probably build whatever you want. They built the first Porsche Design boat a couple years ago for the Miami boat show for a customer.

My summer has been going great, but it hasn't included the Donzi. I spent two days on the water Memorial Day Weekend, and the boat has been sitting quietly on the trailer since. We have been having a very hot and very rainy summer here this year, and that has not been conducive to boating.
Quite coincidentally, I plan to remedy that this weekend. Hot or not, I'm headed out, if nothing more than for an hour or so just to recharge the batteries and clean out the injectors.
I expect my boating to increase again this fall when the heat and rain backs off. Here in Florida, our "down" season is summer, between Memorial Day and Labor Day. Then we enjoy the other 9 months. Most areas up north are limited to boating only in the summer. LOL!

JVCOBRA,
Money talks. If you want to own the very last production 22ZX, just send me a PM.

VetteLT193
08-11-2009, 09:21 PM
Tango... you have a HOT boat. It's my favorite paint scheme and thus my favorite 22 ZX.

Although.... I'd love to see a 22 Classic with a step hull. <I'm putting my flame suit on now>

LuauLounge
08-11-2009, 10:09 PM
My question is......

Did you ever get a bimini? If so, what and where? I have a '98 and it gets really warm in the Sacramento Delta, cruising through the no wake zones.

Thanks in advance

Tom

Last Tango
08-12-2009, 09:54 AM
Tom,
No Bimini, yet. But it is definitely going to happen eventually. I am looking at trying to have a custom shape that sits low in front and gives the top a similar front rake as the 1950's Porsche Speedsters. I won't be able to stand underneath it, but I never stand when I drive anyway. And usually I want max protection from the sun or the occasional sprinkle while running through it.
I want the back of the Bimini to look like one of those ugle Infinity SUV's that has the rounded rear windows effect, meaning the rear fabric corners would flow in long buttresses down to the tie point. On a boat Bimini it should look great and very Euro. On an SUV it looks like crap. But each of us has his own tastes.

Also, I haven't installed the VHF radio antenna, yet, until I see what the Bimini looks like. I don't want the two to interfere with each other.

Rest assured, when the Bimini happens, I will post pictures here (and give 'Cuda a heads up not to look). LOL!

(P.S. shhhhh... 'Cuda stopped reading this post when he got to the word "Bimini". Don't tell him the flying butresses thing is not real. He has to be absolutely curdling with discust at the thought of a Donzi ZX with a Bimini.)

brwn234
08-12-2009, 11:04 AM
I'm still trying to figure out if I'm going the bimini route or trying an Anchor Shade. I'm definetley interested in your idea for the "euro style" and anxioulsy waiting for pics. I never thought i'd be considering a bimini but a baby coming in March will change your ideas really quick.

Would you guys consider ordering a bimini online or strictly go with a custom install. It doesnt seem like it'd be that hard to install and set one up but I dont have much experience with them.

Last Tango
08-12-2009, 03:38 PM
I have been using an Anchor Shade and I think they are absolutely wonderful... while you are at anchor. They cannot be run at any speed above dead idle.
The reason for a cutom Bimini over the Anchor Shade is that I can run in the rain with some protection, run in the sun with an SPF of 100, and park at times without having to "set up a tent" (ie. Anchor Shade) that I then have to strike before I can change locations. A custom made Bimini is usually good for speeds up to 50MPH+.

I'm going custom because I want a specific look. "Over-the-counter" Biminis are square and tall, and may not be the precise width for your desired installation points. Depends on your boat. They also have very low speed limits because of their generic design. If you want to paraglide, go generic, even if it is only for a few seconds until it blows apart.

LuauLounge
08-12-2009, 11:34 PM
Mark,
I recently purchased a new to me 22Zx. It is a 1998 with a 2002 496 HO. I was going to go with the Livorsi Vantage View, but now I am leaning to the Smartcraft Monitor and new Livorsi gauges. I really don't like the Merc shifter and I think I will order the Dana Marine. I purchased this in June and have only had a few times out, all good. Being of the hotrod generation, I really appreciate something that can scare the crap out of me right out of the bag. Last boat had two bathrooms, they weren't heads, they were bathrooms, so you can appreciate the direction I am headed.....

Last Tango
08-13-2009, 03:56 PM
In a LOT of ways, I wish the 496 Mag HO would have been available when I was originally looking at the 22ZX. There have been several repowers like that posted on the various boards. I am not unhappy with the performance of my boat, but a 496 Mag HO would be a nice improvement. I know a ProCharger or Whipple would run the HP up to the level of the 496, but I really would rather get that power with parts that are not stressed at every moment I am underway.
Perhaps in the distant future, when this motor is worn thin, I will be able to do that repower for my boat.

Dr. David Fleming
08-20-2009, 10:52 PM
I like your paint job, I was so jealous when I saw that boat I just about bust! that blue is probably the most beautiful 22ZX they ever made. Except for maybe mine! I liked the red mooring lines you had when you bought it. That was real color class.

I have the red hull with the same black and white checkerboard sweep - white deck with a checkerboat sweep down the center deck. Red carpet interior and black mooring lines - man the contrasting colors are great. My donzi is named "Baby Stepper" with a small pic of some Natalie Wood high heels.

Big power is fun, but 60 is still a respectable speed on the water. - for most people! I have two sons in law school who are afraid of a boat with too much power - they really enjoy something more practical.

Dr. D

Last Tango
08-21-2009, 06:26 AM
All of you should feel free to post pictures of your boats on your posts. If you need help understanding how to do that, just PM me with your phone number and a I'll talk you through it. The more pictures of your 22ZX's here, the merrier.:party:

I was able to put the boat in this past Sunday and added about 3 hours to the engine run time, mostly at about 3450 RPM. We cruised about 40 miles south on the St. Johns River to a city called Palatka which many of you will remember as a SEADOG hangout for many years and many events. Had a great lunch out on the deck at Corkey Bells and just watched the river and the boats go by.

The boat ran flawlessly the entire time. The wind was out of the south at 15 to 20 knots which made for 2-3 foot waves, some bigger. The boat ran smooth and quiet the whole time, even running dead into the waves most of the time. I was looking forward to the run back with a following sea, but in the short time we were at the restaurant, the wind shifted to easterly and the afternoon seabreaze kicked in at the same 15-20 knots. So I ran all the way back into the waves again! LOL!!!! It was beautiful out there. MAN I LOVE this boat!

Dr. David Fleming
08-21-2009, 10:55 PM
Mark,
So where are you boating with the Last Tango? I see Florida? St. Johns River? Where is that?

Dr. d

Last Tango
08-22-2009, 09:05 PM
Wow! Big question. Here is a link to mapquest that is centered on Jacksonville, Florida.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Jacksonville&state=FL

You can see the St. Johns River. If you stay on that scale and look just a couple inches south down the river you will see Fruit Cove. I live underneath that dot, right on the river. At that point, the distance across the river to the other side is about 3 1/2 miles. The tributary just above Fruit Cove is called Julington Creek.

The St. Johns is navigable by boat for over 360 miles from the Atlantic Ocean (see the map for Mayport) all the way south to the Everglades. From Mayport to Jacksonville, the river is a major seaport with large cargo and cruise ships bustling in and out 24/7/365.

From my back yard, I can boat to any place on the face of the planet that touches an ocean.

On less than the 52 gallons of gas in my tank, I can go south to Daytona Beach by heading north to Jacksonville, following the river to Mayport, and then deciding to take the ocean or remain "inside" by traveling the Intracoastal Waterway.
I can go to Brunswick, GA which is home to Jekyll Island, St. Simons Island, and Sea Island.
I can take the St. Johns River south to Palatka, and then to Sanford (near Orlando). At that point I can still boat further south until I run out of water for the Donzi. Then an airboat can take you to Lake Okeechobee (that big lake in the southern part of Florida).

Florida is a boating paradise all year round. We don't store boats in the winter. In fact, your Fall, Winter, and Spring is usually our best time of the year for boating. The summer months can occasionally be just too warm to really enjoy cruising. Fishing, boarding, cruising, skiing, diving, and all other forms of boating recreation and marine industry happen all year 'round.
Full service marinas, waterfront restaurants, waterfront hotels, motels, resorts abound everywhere, and that includes the St, Johns River.

And then there are the Keys...
And the Gulf of Mexico...

Dr. David Fleming
08-23-2009, 11:13 PM
I have property in Vero Beach but don't use it. Did ride the Harley down to Key West a couple of years ago - I wanted to go boating on that beautiful ocean water. Everyone says the Donzi runs faster in the salt water because it is more boyant. The salt water is supposed to cause a lot of damage though.

The great lakes are of course the largest supply of fresh water on earth. Oceans of fresh water with major world shipping. Then there is the international boarder with Canada. US Coastguard can only go half way across any of these lakes then you are in the Canadian waters. Canada is of course a nation that is mostly wilderness and they have an entirely different attitude than all these homeland security freaks. Detroit looks like the damn Berlin wall in the 1960's. George B was so paranoid that they were going to get weapons of m....d.... over the boarder. Still get these paranoid senarios like a ship will be taken filled with Dupont chemical and run into something - I don't know - the great lakes were always just a free boarder with Canada - thousands of miles of unprotected boarder that was free free free from major law enforecement hassle - well I have digressed.

I am enjoying the summer - the first year I had CMI headers on the 502 the 22ZX is a magic carpet to fun. I have to change the transom tips and am thinking of the CMI backfire mufflers. These are pneumatic control which I already had to change to keep the exhaust diverter on the headers. I just got the Bravo I 28p propeller to try from the B Blades loaner program as the engine seems to be overeving with the 26p - I just have to remember how to change the prop.

Best to you,

Dr. d

Last Tango
08-29-2009, 08:26 PM
Over the past week I have been running a thread elsewhere on this forum to test the water about selling the boat since I will be retiring next Spring and I want to reduce my toy count.

As a result of that thread, I am planning to keep the boat. Further, I rented a dry storage slot at Julington Creek Marina. $150.00 even per month including sales taxes for the next 12 months. I signed a full year lease.

The resounding quiet after I posted my potential asking price confirmed that despite a more open market, I'm still not in the game to sell at the price I need. So it stays here.

My buddy Greg and I launched the boat off the trailer one more time and took it over to JCM to size my rack spot. Third level, center of the building, away from wind, weather, and too high for the stereo burglars to mess with it. Then we went to lunch by boat to Clark's Fish Camp. After a nice lunch we headed out into the St. Johns River and blasted around a bit and then headed back to the marina to clean up and put the boat in its new home.
All of my local boating buds thought that was a pretty good idea and would lead even more boating since it would be so convenient (Julington Creek Marina is virtually walking distance from my house). I had my C18 there for years and I got a lot more time on the water when it was that easy to launch and recover.

By the way, I crossed the 150 hour mark today.

I took the trailer home and will use this opportunity to have all four wheel bearings serviced, the 4 disc brakes serviced and all new fluid, and take some time to polish up the aluminum frame to a high luster again. I would have done all of this anyway (yearly thing for me) but it seems just as important to make certain the trailer is in tiptop condition even though it will be sitting a lot more now. I don't want to call it into duty and find it not ready, or worse, to fail while the boat is on it.

The only real downside to this, is that all of you subscribed to this thread will be forced to endure even more posts from me about this boat.

Last Tango
08-29-2009, 08:52 PM
What I learned at Julington Creek Marina today:

I was concerned about the cost of gas at the marina. They charge $2.95 per gal (today) and it is 89 octane. My boat only needs 87 octane. The price of unleaded regular at the pumps nearby at the nearby gas stations is $2.58 per gal for unleaded regular (today). That is roughly 40 cents a gallon more for gas I don't need.

It would be a bit inconvenient to unrack the boat, put it in the water, drive it to the ramp, put it on the trailer, take it to the gas station, fill it, back to the ramp and drop it back in, every time I thought I needed gas. So I was contemplating what I saw many folks at the marina doing today which is humping several big red plastic gas cans and and manually filling their boats.

I have done the gas can thing a few times when I wanted to top the boat off without towing to the gas station (to minimize condensation in the tanks when the boat might sit for several weeks). That form of refill can get messy and cause safety issues.

Lucky for me, a Florida Widlife and Conservation Officer was at the marina (no idea why) and was just sitting in his truck, so I thougth I would ask him if there was any law against refueling with cans like that on a regular basis. He said there was no reason that I could not so that, just be careful not to spill any in the water ($10,000 fine) and be careful doing it on the cleaning racks since others might be smoking there.

Then he mentioned that he thought that was a big waste of time and money to hand-fill the boat since the gas at the marina pump was CERTIFIED ETHANOL FREE! Why put street pump gas with at least a 10% enthanol content in it into my boat when the marina gas has NONE! He said that lately the biggest problems he has seen with boat motors is the ethanol. I asked him about Sta-bil and Star-Tron and he said that they work fine, but why bother with those expensive treatments when the marina gas would not be subject to the issues for which those treatments where developed.

All Gate Petroleum gas stations on the water in Northeast Florida are Certified Ethanol Free which includes the pumps at my marina.

Dr. David Fleming
09-01-2009, 07:27 PM
I am right with you on the marine gas without ethanol.

Actually ethanol is a great racing fuel and was used widely in the past. Its chief advantage is that it can tolerate almost unlimited compression ratio. Like you can build the engine to 14 to 1 for some outstanding power. It has less "latient heat" which is a chemical term used for the amount of energy in each gallon. To go 300 miles in the car with gasoline takes maybe 25 gallons of gas. To go 300 miles in the car with alcohol takes about 50 so the size of the vehicle has to have double the fuel capacity. Fuel injection and or carburator jets would have to handle twice the capacity for the same power as gasoline. Alcohol also picks up water and carries it in suspension.

For a low compression marine engine like the Mercruiser alcohol is just a big nowhere because they have low compression and small fuel system capacity - alcohol is the no power - low power route. Given complete engine redesign it would be a good fuel - if you didn't mind leaving out the back seat and the kids for extra fuel capacity. Like the Donzi 22ZX would have to have 100 gallon capacity and the bigger boats 200 gallon just for a cruise - yah right. You see, Henry Ford and those Detroit engineers did know what they were doing back in 1910! Ha!

Hey, tell me how to post pics on this site!

Glad you decided to keep the 22ZX - the boat is really about style and beauty anyway. Let me tell you running that boat over 70 mph is just a ride from hell. Every thing the ZX has got to deliver is below that speed. Besides, you wouldn't want to end this long running thread either.

The best to you my Florida friend,

Dr. d

Last Tango
09-01-2009, 09:28 PM
I invite ALL Donzi 22ZX owners to post their pictures on this thread.
A few months ago there was a ZX pictures thread. It was fine for about a month or so and then died away. On the other hand, I intend to keep this thread alive and running.

If you need a short tutorial:
-Make certain that the pictures you want to upload are saved on your computer in a folder you can easily locate by browsing. Give that folder a run to make certain.
- Open a "Post Reply" window to this thread.
- Type the written message you want to add to this thread.
- Scroll down below the "Submit Reply" button. There is a whole lot more stuff below that button.
-Look for the Manage Attachments button in the box marked Attach Files (second box down), and click on it.
- You now have a new window on your screen called Manage Attachments.
- To upload a picture saved on your computer, click the first Browse button and it will begin a series of windows to lead you to the file in which your pictures are stored. Your picture may be stored in the pictures area or the documents area. You should determine that before you begin the post to make finding it again simpler.
- Click twice on the actual picture icon or whichever format you are using to id your pix in that folder. I recommend selecting Medium Icon for this folder while you are searching for the exact picture in that folder.
-The picture location will now be populated in the top Browse window.
- I recommend doing one picture initially. But you could do up the 3 if you are running a cable connection. All 5 if you have your own T1 connection.
-NOW pay attention here, it gets tricky
- Once you have your picture(s) locations showing in the Browse windows, Click the UPLOAD button to the right of the Browse buttons.
- Now WAIT while they upload. A blue progress bar should be running at the bottom of the attachments window.
- Now you should see a note in the middle of that window showing that each picture is uploaded as a current arttachement. It should also be in the window called Manage Attachments from your post page. If so, you are ready to hit the Submit Reply button...

LuauLounge
09-02-2009, 12:22 PM
Here is my new to me 1998 Zx. It looks much better in the water.....
496HO powered

Dr. David Fleming
09-12-2009, 01:08 AM
Mark,

I see on the first post of this thread that your Donzi came with the sea strainer. Was this a factory installed option? If so, could you identify who made it and maybe a pic of where and how it is installed.

Two years ago a couple of little darlings - clad in bikini - in a Boston Whaler pulled out in front of the Donzi and I ran the lower through the mud. This blew the vanes off of the sea pump and deposited them in the oil and fuel coolers. The Mercruiser would not pump water and ran hot. This was a couple of years ago.

Since then I have installed a Livorsi II water pressure gauge that matches the other instruments on the dashboard - tells me the engine has the water pressure but it still won't keep out the sand and seaweed.

Guess I am concerned that my boys will repeat this and fill the engine cooling passages up with sand. Would like to do the sea strainer.

Dr. d

Cuda
09-12-2009, 05:56 PM
Wow! Big question. Here is a link to mapquest that is centered on Jacksonville, Florida.
http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Jacksonville&state=FL
You can see the St. Johns River. If you stay on that scale and look just a couple inches south down the river you will see Fruit Cove. I live underneath that dot, right on the river. At that point, the distance across the river to the other side is about 3 1/2 miles. The tributary just above Fruit Cove is called Julington Creek.
The St. Johns is navigable by boat for over 360 miles from the Atlantic Ocean (see the map for Mayport) all the way south to the Everglades. From Mayport to Jacksonville, the river is a major seaport with large cargo and cruise ships bustling in and out 24/7/365.
From my back yard, I can boat to any place on the face of the planet that touches an ocean.
On less than the 52 gallons of gas in my tank, I can go south to Daytona Beach by heading north to Jacksonville, following the river to Mayport, and then deciding to take the ocean or remain "inside" by traveling the Intracoastal Waterway.
I can go to Brunswick, GA which is home to Jekyll Island, St. Simons Island, and Sea Island.
I can take the St. Johns River south to Palatka, and then to Sanford (near Orlando). At that point I can still boat further south until I run out of water for the Donzi. Then an airboat can take you to Lake Okeechobee (that big lake in the southern part of Florida).
Florida is a boating paradise all year round. We don't store boats in the winter. In fact, your Fall, Winter, and Spring is usually our best time of the year for boating. The summer months can occasionally be just too warm to really enjoy cruising. Fishing, boarding, cruising, skiing, diving, and all other forms of boating recreation and marine industry happen all year 'round.
Full service marinas, waterfront restaurants, waterfront hotels, motels, resorts abound everywhere, and that includes the St, Johns River.
And then there are the Keys...
And the Gulf of Mexico...
Actually, the St John's is only considered navigable to Sanford, that's the last of the marked channel. South of Lake Monroe, the water gets iffy in anything other than an airboat. South of Melborne, it's just part of a big swamp, and not recognizable even by air as being a river. Melborne is quite a ways north of the Everglades, the swamp there is called the Stickmarsh (great duck hunting).

Cuda
09-12-2009, 06:01 PM
Mark,

I see on the first post of this thread that your Donzi came with the sea strainer. Was this a factory installed option? If so, could you identify who made it and maybe a pic of where and how it is installed.

Two years ago a couple of little darlings - clad in bikini - in a Boston Whaler pulled out in front of the Donzi and I ran the lower through the mud. This blew the vanes off of the sea pump and deposited them in the oil and fuel coolers. The Mercruiser would not pump water and ran hot. This was a couple of years ago.

Since then I have installed a Livorsi II water pressure gauge that matches the other instruments on the dashboard - tells me the engine has the water pressure but it still won't keep out the sand and seaweed.

Guess I am concerned that my boys will repeat this and fill the engine cooling passages up with sand. Would like to do the sea strainer.

Dr. d
The 22 C I sold to Howard O had a seastrainer. I beleive it was a brass Perko. It would be mounted a the lowest point of the water circulation.

JamieP
09-13-2009, 08:47 AM
Very nice, couple of pics of mine for you.

Last Tango
09-13-2009, 01:23 PM
The sea strainer was a throw-in from the dealership at the time I originally purchased the boat so there are no receipts for it specifically. I checked my pictures and I don't have any that show the strainer.
So, perhaps next weekend I will have a chance to go to the boat and I will take some shots of the strainer at that time. It is a brass frame with a glass container so that I can monitor the stuff in it and the flow. Easy to remove the filter and clean it.
It is located down low next to the motor on the starboard side and aft, about 2/3rds of the length of the motor aft. Still, it is easy to reach while leaning in from the back seat. No tools or midgets required to pull the filter. The filter is near the water level, so when the filter is pulled when the boat is in the water, some water comes in, but it doesn't gush in. It is just a slow dribble. You don't have to panic to get it out and back in if you are checking it when in the water.
Dandy item to have. Keeps the eel grass and other plants and such out of the motor.
Regarding sand and mud, I would say that the filter keeps granular items out, but not free flowing sand or mud. It does not filter at the level that an oil or fuel filter does. But if the sand or mud is flowing enough to get through the filter, then it will most likely keep on passing throught the motor and out.

Last Tango
09-16-2009, 11:00 AM
Below is a great post from Dr. d (Dr. David Fleming) on props for 22ZX's. I have also added my response to that thread.

Here is a link to the original thread on which he posted:
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=59596

"Props are a real art form. Merc makes so many of them because they can have such a big effect on performance. The right prop and you and have a different boat from a wrong prop. Merc has done some literature for the average person to read about this. Basically the fewer blades the more efficient the prop - this means the more speed. Two blades are the oldschool racing propellor. More blades are more drag but they grip better. Technically a three blade is a higher speed prop than a four blade. But some boats need the four to get the power into the water. Blades can be raked backwards, have a meat cleaver type edge to run half way out of the water and still hold, they can cup the back edge of the blades = this means the trailing edge is bent slightly to help hold down the engine rpm and act like a lower pitch prop.

This is all so complicated that only a certified guru like B-Blades or Merc Racing really knows all that goes on. Bret at B- was telling me that he cannot make two identical props perform the same, you have to be kind of lucky to get the sweet prop.

The 22zx in 1999 had a step hull which is a big vent added under the back of the boat - it runs from side to side. This gets air under the stern and the boat really flys - problem is with air under the ass, the thing can go out of control and spin easily - which is a real caution on the 22. The four blade prop lifts the back of the boat higher because the blades have a lifting effect produced as a result of the side thrust of water off of the prop - this also happens with a higher pitch prop because more of the blade is sideways to the direction of its travel.

According to Chris C the chief engineer who designed the 22zx they built the boat for the four blade Bravo I prop. 24 pitch is the one for 350 and 454 mpi engines 26 pitch for the 454 MAG MPI and 502 MAG MPI. But the more power your engine makes the higher pitch it will need to keep the engine speed down and boat speed up. 28 pitch on my 502 added about 2-4 mph and the 30 pitch 4-6 mph. The engine speed with the 26p was 5400 rpm and with the 28 was 5000 rpm and with the 30 should be about 4600 rpm. My 502 peak power is at about 4500 with a stock camshaft but it is a big fat power peak producing about 445 hp over a range of 1000 rpm with headers.

I would say your three blade prop was an attempt to hide an engine problem or control problem letting the boat drop a little in the water at high speed - it also could be an attempt to go faster. You didn't say what three blade it was - possibly a Merc Mirage which I have seen Donzi use on twin engine boats? Did you say what GPS speed you were running?"

Dr. d

Dr. d,
Nice post! I am going to do a cut and paste of your post and add it to my thread on my '06 22ZX, with credit to you, of course.

My boat came with a Bravo 1 22p 4-bladed prop, which I quickly discovered was too small.* I jumped to a 24P which was MUCH better, but still allowed the engine to hit the redline at 5250rpm. So I had the prop redone to a 24 3/8's pitch. That kept the revs to a max of about 5050 rpm and gave a better hole shot and more mid-range power and slightly higher speed per rpm in my cruising speed range.
However, shortly thereafter, "they" started to add Ethanol to gas (I was trailering and buying at the gas stations) and my speed fell off and the max rpm's fell off as well over time, down into the 4750 rpm range. I was planning on going back to a straight 24P, however I now rack my boat and the marina sells gas that is Certified Ethanol Free. When the last of my pump gas is gone, I will refuel with the ethanol free gas and see if that returns my rpm's, mph's and gph's before going back to a straight 24P.

* It is my belief that despite whatever prop was on your boat from the dealer or previous buyer, there is NO assurance it is the prop the factory installed or intended to install for your combination. I believe dealers freely remove props to sell to a customer today rather than lose the business. Then they throw on something close. New boats in the yard can be a quick parts resource. They may reorder a prop for your boat but it may or may not actually get onto your boat before it is sold to you.
In the case of my boat, I believe the factory may have thrown on whatever was close at the time since the boat was headed to the Miami Boat Show as a display boat, they may have been in a hurry at that moment to get the boat done, and figured they would correct it later. That never happened.
The only proper way to make sure you have the correct prop is to do diligent prop testing.

Dr. David Fleming
09-18-2009, 10:45 AM
Mark,

It would be nice if Jeepfan99 could post a couple of pics of his 22zx it is the color your boat is with the checkerd flag graphics. I have seen a few pics of this paint job and think it is one of Donzi's best ever. Mine is the red donzi with checkerd flag graphics and windshield - similar to the e-tube take from the movie The enforcer that is going around. Will send a couple of pics when my schedule allows.

Dr. d

Last Tango
09-20-2009, 08:26 PM
As promised, a couple pix of my sea strainer, and a bonus pic of Whiteys Fish Camp, today, my favorite boat-to-lunch destination.

Dr. David Fleming
09-20-2009, 08:40 PM
Mark,

Yah! love that Florida pub. Boating season is about over here in Detroit - marina will shut down second week in October - ah! the Florida life. Like your sea strainer - will enlarge the pics to get a look.

Thanks,

Dr. d

Last Tango
10-28-2009, 02:20 PM
This week is "maintenance week" for boat and trailer.

I did an oil and filter change on the motor, and topped off all the other fluids.

I took the trailer over to a fellow Donzi owner who does boat and car trailer maintenance as a side job. The trailer has only had monthly tire pressure checks and occasional topping off of the bearing lube on each axle during the last 3 1/2 years since new.
I asked him to service all four disc brakes including a full fluid flush and replacement. Also, I asked him to service all four bearings and axles, and to let me know if anything else needed attention.
After disassembly, he reported back that the bearings and axles looked perfect as well as the brake pads and rotors. However, the brake accuator selenoid was frozen (explaining the perfect pads and rotors), so he will replace that item. The rubber dust caps on the bearings are all getting replaced, as well. Also rotating the tires, which still have plenty of tread and no unusual wear patters (radials).

In 3 1/2 years I've made 6 long tows with the boat and trailer: Two trips to Sarasota for 2006 and 2007 HTG's, two during that time to the Eufaula Gathering, and two to Mt. Dora for the Annual wooden boat show. Everything else was less than 10 miles each way.

In January, I will get some aluminum polish and try to shine up the frame a little. It has lost a lot of luster sitting outside 24/7/365 since new. It is easy to work on the trailer now that the boat is lounging in a nice comfy dry inside storage rack just up the street.

I boated Sunday afternoon before doing the oil change and it was a perfectly beautiful day.

quick ZX
11-06-2009, 08:13 PM
My first time out with my 2002 22 ZX. LOVE IT now it's almost time to winterize it can't wait til spring here in Baltimore.

Last Tango
11-06-2009, 08:23 PM
Excellent post! You got the pictures in without having to be goaded by anyone. LOL!
I fully expect to invite myself along for a ride in the late Spring when I visit Baltimore in 2010 (I have relatives nearby).

Thanks for posting! And welcome to a very special Donzi family group.

Donzi LG
11-07-2009, 08:06 AM
My first time out with my 2002 22 ZX. LOVE IT now it's almost time to winterize it can't wait til spring here in Baltimore.

Great shots! Congrats on your new ZX, you're going to love it!

Dr. David Fleming
11-07-2009, 10:50 AM
Mark,

I keep trying to get the "User CP" to download a nickname for my account and a pic of my boat - no luck, it has the pic in the cp but won't download the change - can't figure what to do to change the "handle" - any ideas. No answers in inquiry to the harbormaster.

Last Tango
11-08-2009, 07:06 PM
Dr. d.,
Well, I can't help you on changing your handle. I believe that once you make the initial name selection you are stuck with it. I would say that Harbormaster is the only man who can make the change for you. However, after over 100 posts, you are pretty well committed to your handle and identity. And...we already know who you are! LOL!

Also, on posting pictures, if you have used the picture at any time before on this site, apparently you can't use it again. It will appear to load, but not really. Not certain if the photo you are trying to post is already posted by you somewhere else. Something to do with how the website program recognizes something that in already in its memory.
But I could be totally wrong about that. Just my theory. I had a similar problem with some photos a while back.

Just to stick a little in your ribs, I went boating today. Gorgeous perfect weather for boating, with some out-of-town friends who came to visit me and are avid Donzi boaters themselves. We went to yet another great waterfront restaurant called the OutBack CrabShack. Has a 1500 ft. finger pier to host boaters and sea planes. Met up with Wild Child and his yellow 40th Anniversary 22C, and his family.

My come-upance will be the last week in November, when I...ummm...come up... to Cleveland. Brrrrrr.

fasttrucker
11-08-2009, 07:27 PM
nice donzi,good luck with her!

Last Tango
12-04-2009, 09:48 AM
I was out for a nice Sunday afternoon run this past weekend and met a nice young guy (and his very hot girlfriend) with a 1986 SeaRay Pachanga II with a 454.

We exchanged compliments about each others boats, and then he said, "Wow! I really like your dash with the all-white gauges and bezels!"
At first I thought he was being facitious, but he was dead serious.

He asked me how I got the extra gauges to match in white. I laughed and told him that was how they all came except for the SmartCraft monitor, which had an optional white face that I installed. I said the usual thing was for folks to add colored bezels and plates to bling it up. But he said he thought it was blinged up all in white.

Different strokes for different folks. I am not alone out here. LOL!!!!!

Dr. David Fleming
12-04-2009, 11:51 AM
Mark,

Every once in a while a truly classic antique boat shows up - something really priceless. Unfortunately this 1920's (whatever) work of art, timeless in all of its beauty, has been rebuilt by some tastless wag into 1950's modernism. The guy who removed the windshield and installed some plexiglass thing, took out the classic steering and replaced it with whatever was at hand. Removed the classic engine and installed some high horsepower auto power and might have even repainted the african mahogany or worse laid fiberglass over its unstable wood surface. Or worst of all cut it all up with new design deck and interior. Some of these things that turn up today are the only surviving examples of great manufacturers.

What do you have then! - Something no one will ever want but the "idiot" that changed everything and a job in which thousands of hours are spent undoing these changes to restore what was before a true masterpiece.

------------------------
"Oh impetious youth! - When will they ever listen! - when will they ever learn!"
------------------------
I am with you on the all white - sometimes when you mess with what a company like Donzi does - all you do is show how much you don't understand styling.

Some folks do have a knack for making it better - but my experience shows mostly they don't - hence the observation "Built by engineers and artists - repaired and restyled by God knows who!" - and the equally popular - "rebuilt into pure ugly." HA!

Leave it alone - and if it ain't broke don't fix it -

Last Tango
12-31-2009, 02:33 PM
The thread, linked below, has been running in December 2009 and I post that link here because there is a tremendous amount of very interesting info in it, particularly from Dr. David Fleming, about the history of the 22ZX and its various powerplants. The thread is a discussion by 22ZX owners about various 22ZX power options and performance parameters.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?p=552206&posted=1#post552206

Last Tango
01-15-2010, 07:52 PM
My boat is officially four years old this month.

In North Florida, we have just finished 14 straight days with temperatures below 32 deg at night. A record for any period from 9 to 15 days in the past 140 years that records have been kept.
Eight days ago I did my first boating outing of the year, and today I did my second. Both of them at least partially were motivated by concern for the health of my engine as a result of the cold nights since we do not winterize down here, but mostly because the afternoon temp was above 70 deg, which made for pleasant boating both times.
The first trip last week was very successful, as was today. Neither week of cold harmed the engine in any way. No "milkshake" in the oil after an hour of boating, plenty of water flowing out of the pipes immediately after start. Slow to warm up because the St. Johns River water temps are the coldest they have been since the winter of 1989.
I have both wind burn and sun burn from the run today. It feels good.

Here is a picture my buddy Greg Robinson took today. We conspired to create the wording as a modified quote from the movie LeMans.
Each year Greg makes me a nice wall calendar with a picture he has taken from either the Donzi, or my Porsche at a track event.

Dr. David Fleming
01-18-2010, 10:17 AM
Mark,

Nice to see someone on the water, +70 in the daytime. Well it is cold in Michigan been running in the teens, I did see -9 degrees the other night with snow fog hanging over the ground. Yesterday, it was +28 and the other kind of snow fog was hanging in the air.

For your information about engine freeze which happens in the frozen north. Usually, it can drop in temp below freezing and iron engines won't really get to cracking that quickly. What does that is a deep and long freeze that really locks in. Now those plastic raw water pumps, and the copper heat exchangers thats different. It has suprised me how much cold aluminum will take but that will crack also.

I have often wondered about any water trapped in fiberglass?

Most of the Antique wooden boats I have had don't seem to have a freeze issue. I wonder if trees react differently, as thy by natures laws they contain a lot of water.

Last Tango
02-21-2010, 07:56 PM
Coulda, shoulda, woulda gone boating this weekend, but other things took priority (toy train show and gokart racing on Saturday, Porsche Club driving event on Sunday).

I want to take a wild shot at why trees don't have freeze issues in the winter. I am absolutely NOT a Botanist. But I did stay in a Super 8 motel this month.
Trees actually do freeze and explode into splinters if it gets cold enough, long enough. Deciduous trees (the ones that lose their leaves in Fall) lose their leaves because the water in them reverses course in the Fall and heads back into the core of the tree and down into the root structure. Since wood is a superior insulator and most of the water is in the center of the tree or under ground during the winter (stored in the roots) they survive without much damage. These types of trees "hybernate." The leaves turn in the fall and die because the water is gone and the leaf no longer makes chlorophyl (the green substance in summer leaves) and the leaf is left in it "natural" color. Then the leaf falls off. In the Spring, the warming sends a signal (DNA?) and the water begins its return to the branches, and the buds form, and new leaves form from those.
The trees I have heard about that exploded in hard freezes were most often evergreens. You do the math.

Last Tango
04-06-2010, 08:11 PM
I have had a total of only six days on the water so far this calendar year. Considering that Florida had its coldest, wettest winter on record, and I was out of town 2 weeks in January, 2 weeks in February, and 2 weeks in March, I consider that I actually managed to boat "once a week" as amazing! LOL!

A trivia item: When I went out in early March on a cool-ish day, the fluxgate compass appeared to have bit the dust. It had two positions - 252 and 072 - depending on whether I waas (pun intended) running north or south. I figured it was replacement time.
However, I went out yesterday with substantially warmer water and air conditions and the compass rotated freely and accurately (matched up with the GPS).
So, although I never noticed that cold weather affected the compass fluid (do fluxgate compasses have fluid inside?) or motion before, it seems so in this case.

So, at least for now, no replacement required.

gcarter
04-06-2010, 08:22 PM
I have had a total of only six days on the water so far this calendar year. Considering that Florida had its coldest, wettest winter on record, and I was out of town 2 weeks in January, 2 weeks in February, and 2 weeks in March, I consider that I actually managed to boat "once a week" as amazing! LOL!

A trivia item: When I went out in early March on a cool-ish day, the fluxgate compass appeared to have bit the dust. It had two positions - 252 and 072 - depending on whether I waas (pun intended) running north or south. I figured it was replacement time.
However, I went out yesterday with substantially warmer water and air conditions and the compass rotated freely and accurately (matched up with the GPS).
So, although I never noticed that cold weather affected the compass fluid (do fluxgate compasses have fluid inside?) or motion before, it seems so in this case.

So, at least for now, no replacement required.

Maybe the Earth's magnetic flux froze..:)

Last Tango
04-06-2010, 09:14 PM
Maybe the Earth's magnetic flux froze..:)

Or maybe I need a new flux capacitor.
Now, where did I park my DeLorean?

Cuda
04-06-2010, 09:24 PM
Thus the term "cold enough to knock the bark off a tree".

LuauLounge
04-06-2010, 10:58 PM
Living on the Left Coast, it has been wet and cold as well. Normally, we are in the mid 70-80 at this time of year. Not this year....
Rainfall is over 100%, the snow pack is over 100% with more scheduled to come next week.
Yep, you guessed it, we are in a drought. In California, it's either drought or flood. In recent years, we are always in a drought until the flood waters rise, then, it's a flood. If there is no flood, then it's a drought.
Kinda like the state budget, we are broke because we spent all of the money we had..... because if we didn't we wouldn't get more next year.
Next year is today and there is no money nowhere, how did this happen????

Cuda
04-07-2010, 10:01 AM
Living on the Left Coast, it has been wet and cold as well. Normally, we are in the mid 70-80 at this time of year. Not this year....
Rainfall is over 100%, the snow pack is over 100% with more scheduled to come next week.
Yep, you guessed it, we are in a drought. In California, it's either drought or flood. In recent years, we are always in a drought until the flood waters rise, then, it's a flood. If there is no flood, then it's a drought.
Kinda like the state budget, we are broke because we spent all of the money we had..... because if we didn't we wouldn't get more next year.
Next year is today and there is no money nowhere, how did this happen????
It's the Republik of Kalifornia. :)

Last Tango
07-08-2010, 02:01 PM
So this year, the mysterious shutoff has reared its ugly head again. It happened briefly in April as I was trolling through downtown Jax. I pushed the throttle forward a little and the engine just stopped.
I checked immediately to see if I had pulled the lanyard out, but that was not it. It fired right up and no repeat that day.

About a month later I was cruising along at about 3300 RPM and the thing quit again as if I had pulled the lanyard. Again, that was not the issue, and it fired right up and ran flawlessly the rest of that day.

In May I made three more outings with no problems.

In early June I was leaving the marina dock after having just started the engine. It was idling poorly so I gave it a little gas to clear its throat. It quit immediately. And that was that... The starter would hit and turn but the engine would not fire.
So I paddled back to the dock (only a few feet away). and we pulled the boat out.

It took three weeks for the repair guy to get to me (Spring) and I was out of town anyway, so no hurry.
He fiddled with everything and found...

... a burned out wire and burned connector in the wiring harness going to the electric fuel pump. Captain Obvious says there is a short somewhere, or a bad connector pin.

Anyway, the repair guy said I could spend $700 on a new wiring harness for the whole motor, plus labor, or give him some time to go through his favorite automotive and marine recycling place and find the correct connector and the wire and weave it in. We are going with plan B first.

I have no results to post yet, since the job is not done. But I am open to your comments and suggestions.

Should I just call Jamie and tow the whole thing up to him (Florida to Pennsylvania about 1000 miles) and let him put in a brand new MX 6.2 MPi, and be done with it?

I HATE electrical problems!!!!!

BUIZILLA
07-08-2010, 03:12 PM
if I may interject.... I would check or replace the fuel pump as well, and make sure the fuse that's there for that leg,isn't oversized for that leg...

but hey, don't let me stop you from the 6.2 Whipple idea either.. :shades:

Tidbart
07-08-2010, 03:34 PM
Mark,

If I may suggest for you to start a new thread with this issue. It will get lost in your 14 pages and it would better serve others with the same boat and/or symptom.

B

Last Tango
07-08-2010, 05:02 PM
Buizilla,
LOL! I wasn't planning on the Whipple AND the 6.2. But I am certain Jamie would be able to do both. All it takes is $$$$$. LOL! Probably cheaper to do a full new wiring harness AND the Whipple than do the 6.2. LOL!

Bob,
Good idea. I just wanted to start it here to keep my "logbook" rolling on this thread. I'll copy it over to a new thread and also copy over Buizillas response.

Last night my computer could not find this website for some reason. I panic'd immediately, thinking that maybe Harbormaster finally got disgusted and pulled the plug on this place. Imagine my relief when I was able to go in today.

I might also copy over to here the Dr.'s excellent posting again on the history of the 22ZX on another thread.

Last Tango
07-18-2010, 08:11 PM
Boat finally repaired and is up snd running. Took it out today and had no issues. The repair was to replace the connector, the relay, and the wiring for that line. Fuel pump checks out perfect so no damage there. Boat ran great for over two hours. :)

Life is good again.

Hey, Buiz! Thanks for the tips!
Also, since you are an expert in many things, do you think a 1967 Pontiac GTO coupe with turbohydromatic is enough car to tow my boat? I am dead serious. Boat and dual axle trainer with hydraulic disc brakes weigh around 5000 to 5500 pounds (going to verify that next month at a truck scale). I was thinking that if I had a Class IV receiver mounted to the frame that it might be an interesting tow vehicle.
There are several very well equipped '67's on the market right now (power steering, power disc brakes, A/C, 3-speed Turbohydromatic with Hurst His'n'Her shifter. Some with more stuff than others.

Yeah, I know, it would look better with a Sweet 16 or C18 behind it, but I already have the boat that I have...

BUIZILLA
07-18-2010, 09:22 PM
Mark, 67 vintage A body brakes barely stopped the car without a trailer...

nice thought though..

Last Tango
12-11-2010, 04:34 PM
December 11, 2010. Went boating today. Got a little sunburn and a little wind burn. Temp only in the high 60's, but sunny and refreshing. Aye Candy and I had a great day together. She had previously not been a cool weather boater, but was surprised how nice it was even at these temps. The magic of DONZI.

20th day on the water this year.

Boat coming up to the 200 hrs mark. That could happen this month.

Boat will be 5 years old next month.

Dr. David Fleming
12-13-2010, 01:59 PM
Mark - Don't know how well you trust your mechanics - one issue always is how many problems get fixed that aren't broken?

Your stalling and rough idle when cold seems more like an IAC that needs cleaning - most cars which use a similar fuel injection system run thousand and thousands of hours years and years - the IAC - Idle Air Control - is a valve that gets gummed up by gasoline and then won't adjust to increased air required when the the weather changes - starts stalling when cold fine when warmed up - requires manual adjustment to the throttle to keep going until warm.

Most throttle body fuel injection engines have three electronic devices attached to the throttle body - MAPS Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor. TPS Throttle Position Sensor. IAC - Idle Air Control. The IAC is the one that always is a problem - in my busty tow Jeep Grand Cherokee over ten years old and which has 300,000 miles, the throttle body fuel injection system has all the original components - I have had to clean the IAC about 50 times and my Mercruiser IAC which is a adapted automotive part is about the same.

Last Tango
12-13-2010, 02:49 PM
So what is the easiest way to clean it?
Fuel injection cleaner in the gas?
Pull the flame arrestor and spray something in when the engine is running?

Any mechanical/electrical part requiring disassembly is a non-starter for me. LOL!

Dr. David Fleming
12-14-2010, 01:49 AM
IAC - Idle Air Control - is usually held in by two screws - sometimes these are torx screw requiring a torex bit screwdriver - unscrew the screws - unplug the wire connected to the IAC - clean it with spray carb cleaner and wipe with a mechanic towel - clean out the passage way to which the IAC is attached by spraying the carb cleaner into it. Replace the valve and two screws and re-attach the wire. Engine will run like you did some major work to it!

Think of the IAC as the old throttle stop screw on a carburator only more sophistocated - throttle stop or idle speed screw held the throttle open to get an idle on the old carburator engines.

Google Mercruiser service of IAC valve and you will get endless discussion of this whole procedure - also to locate the IAC check the service manual if you can't spot it by eye. IAC malfunction will not give a diagnostic code and will sometimes appear as a flooding condition sooting up the transom of the boat.

Last Tango
12-14-2010, 08:32 AM
Thanks for the excellent info, Dr. Dave!

I'll give that a try (just as soon as it warms up a bit here - record cold, even for Florida this week - Brrrrrr)

Last Tango
01-02-2011, 11:49 AM
Starting off 2011 with a couple shots of my loved ones.

Dr. David Fleming
01-02-2011, 10:48 PM
Mark,

Great pics - Love that Donzi of yours, never saw a better paint job for Florida - bet it looks great out on the ocean under a tropical sun.

Weather in Detroit was wonderful 50 degrees over New Year. Was down at the yacht club at the bar watching the ball drop. Then catching a smoke on the frozen Detroit River watching some lake freighters go north through the thin remaining ice. Fond memories of the 22ZX in all its summer glory running through my mind.

Will post a couple of pics of my boat if I ever figure out how to do this site. I think you tried to tell me once that they have to be fresh photos not posted elsewhere or the site wouldn't take them.

Dave

Donzi LG
01-03-2011, 09:16 AM
Just a fantastic looking boat, love it!

John

Last Tango
01-03-2011, 08:33 PM
I wish there was a way to have a 22ZX gathering that included all the folks from this board. So many cool boats...

I've posted this before, but I invite all 22ZX owners to post pics of your boat in this thread. Even if you have posted before, take some pix and put them here.

Dr. Dave, Lets set up a phone call, maybe this weekend, where I can talk you through how to post pix on this thread.

Last Tango
04-21-2011, 06:25 PM
I have that answer, today.

I took my boat and trailer to a Certified Scale at a reputable truck stop near my house and climbed aboard their scale.

The scale is digitally calibrated in 10 lb increments and is certified to that level - close enough for me.
You also get a very nice and official printout for each weigh that breaks down the weights on each pad.
The cost was $10.50 and included a free second weigh when done within 24 hours (my first and second weighs were less than 10 minutes apart)

The scale is broken into sections so that the tow vehicle axles are on one pad and the trailer axles are on another pad.

The proper methodology, of course, is to weigh the gross total of both tow vehicle and trailer, then pull off, unhook the trailer, and come around and re-weigh the tow vehicle alone. Then you know the weight of the tow vehicle separately and without the weight of the trailer on the tow bar. This also then gives you the tongue weight of the trailer on the hitch. For consistency, the driver is either in for both weighs or out for both weighs. Not one in and one out. I stayed in for both since I know my weight and could factor that out appropriately from the measured tow vehicle weight so I would know the raw tow vehicle weight, too. The numbers provided below include me in the drivers seat both times since Gross Vehicle Weight is also an important number to have when selecting a tow vehicle.

The boat is my 2006 22ZX, with all my normal paraphernalia that I carry onboard, and approximately 30 gallons of fuel (+/- 1 gallon).

The trailer is a Loadmaster, all aluminum, dual axel, 4 whl disc brakes with electro/hydraulic brake cylinder system, with radial tires. It is the original trailer supplied by the factory for my boat, and is stamped as such.

The tow vehicle is unimportant other than its weight, but for this exercise it was a German-built luxury SUV with Diesel engine, and a tow rating of 7700lbs.

Results:
First weigh, both tow vehicle and trailer:
Tow vehicle weight 5680 lb
Trailer weight 5060 lb
Gross weight 10,740 lb

Second weigh,
Tow vehicle without trailer: 5340 lb

So this tells us that the trailer weight on the tongue is 340 lbs,
and the boat and trailer combination weighs 5400 lb as configured (You add the tongue weight back to the trailer weight to get the actual boat/trailer weight without the tow vehicle).

Other info that will be usefull to those using this data:
A gallon of gas weighs about 6 pounds
The factory published DRY weight of a 2006 22ZX is 3800 lbs - with motor and outdrive, but no other gear. This boat has snap-in carpeting, and it is heavy. The factory published weight is for the standard Alpha Drive. A Bravo drive weighs more - go to the Mercury Marine website for details on this.
My boat also has the optional dual battery set-up from the factory, a 350 Mag MPI and Bravo One drive with Bravo 24P stainless steel 4-blade prop, all factory original and stock.

I carry two anchors (large and small) and plenty of other crapola, including but not limited to: spare fluids for everything, tools, safety and emergency equipment, a dozen different size and style life jackets, navigation and communication equipment, porta-potty support supplies, and on and on - lets say at least 120lbs of it all (but probably more).

A full tank of gas would have added another 130 lbs over the 180lbs of gas already in there during this weigh-in (52 gal tank).

Towing methodology suggests that you should have at least a 25% safety margin between the tow rating of the tow vehicle, and the gross trailer weight. For my boat that means the tow vehicle should have at least a 7400 lb tow rating.

NOTE: I am editing this post here so as not to push this thread all the way to the top of the forum for no reason. This post is being updated on 4/26/2013 to add the following link which is the past two years of troubleshooting a serious overheat issue that has kept me off the water during that time. Two years is a long time to fuss with a problem without resolution. Suffice it to say that the down time has also provided me with a needed financial break from the regular boat ownership costs and so it has been a slow process to get around to actually fixing the boat. Also the overheating problem has proven frustratingly difficult to resolve.
Here is the link: http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?64735-350-Mag-MPi-overheating

GBond
04-21-2011, 07:41 PM
Good lookin' boat Chief. From Jax...Planning to be down with boat July time frame to see family, if it's not to Hot!

Last Tango
09-03-2013, 09:14 PM
Well, there is light at then end of the tunnel.

After over 2 1/2 years, the motor now runs without overheating.

And, despite my timely thread on tires, I suffered a delamination before I got the new tires. But I was only minutes from the house when it happened, so I have quickly fixed that situation as well.
My advice to all, get new tires every 5 years. Period.
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?68995-Trailer-tire-selection-time

On my overheat thread I posted some pictures of the new EMI Thunder exhaust system now gracing the engine, along with some bright bits to bling it up a couple notches.
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?64735-350-Mag-MPi-overheating

The motor does not want to start without some throttle play, so once again, I will be taking Dr. Flemings sage advice and clean the IAC, and run some heavy duty injection cleaner through the whole system. If you don't know what I am referring to, go back a page on this thread.

So, just in time for cooler air (yea!), my delayed boating season begins anew.

jvcobra
09-04-2013, 07:30 AM
Still my favorite 22ZX! Glad you got the issues taken care of. When are you going to sell it? :)

Last Tango
09-05-2013, 08:22 PM
I try to never to sell anything of mine that isn't close to perfect. So, I would not even offer it until I am satisfied that these issues are fully resolved. That could take all "winter" (Florida) and maybe longer. LOL! Going out this Saturday to ensure it is all running perfectly. Could take a while. LOL! I still haven't crossed the 200 hour mark in the computer, but getting close.

I just ordered a cover for that brand new spare tire, too. Can't offer up the boat until I have received and "tested" that, as well. LOL!

But you can always PM me with your offer. Remember, it is the LAST 22ZX built and sold as a "civilian" customer boat, and the only one built in 2006, so you won't find it listed in the used boats price book.

Last Tango
11-03-2013, 09:18 AM
Just an update on the cold starting and rough initial idle - all gone.

I ran a couple gas tanks with a high level of fuel injection cleaner and that seems to have "cleared its throat". Since I had the gas tank drained and cleaned back in January to remove any old gas before we started the repair process, I have now run about 8 hours which is two tanks of gas. I ran the first tank down and then refilled with the same cleaners. That second tank has been used and now just doing "maintenance fills" (topping off before or after a day on the water).

Also replaced the IAC with a new one, but that didn't seem to have any effect. That was done early on.

joseph m. hahnl
11-03-2013, 10:06 AM
Just an update on the cold starting and rough initial idle - all gone.

I ran a couple gas tanks with a high level of fuel injection cleaner and that seems to have "cleared its throat". Since I had the gas tank drained and cleaned back in January to remove any old gas before we started the repair process, I have now run about 8 hours which is two tanks of gas. I ran the first tank down and then refilled with the same cleaners. That second tank has been used and now just doing "maintenance fills" (topping off before or after a day on the water).

Also replaced the IAC with a new one, but that didn't seem to have any effect. That was done early on.
Glad to here your out of the dry dock:drive:. I found out there is another plague caused by ethanol . SUGAR:doh:. Oh yah :nuke: turns to sugar in your tank :bawling: ,I have seen it first hand:banghead:

Last Tango
06-02-2014, 10:44 PM
My goodness I cannot believe it has been 10 months since I got the boat running again. Where the heck did the time go? I keep count of my boating days per year, and I finished 2013 with 17 boating days. So far in 2014 I have had 15 boating days. Not a single blip from the engine or electrical issues of the past. Each outing has been enjoyable and error free.

The boat now has 226 hours on it. This month it will get all the fluids changed, and a fresh drive belt.

One of the interesting maintenance issues of having the aftermarket exhaust is that the exhaust manifold mounting bolts tend to "back out" over time. So every now and then I tighten them down again. I think that what happens is that the heat cycling allows the manifold gaskets to shrink in thickness over time and they just need to be snugged down again.

:cool:

Last Tango
09-30-2014, 08:05 PM
And so this saga comes to an end. I sold the boat to a couple from San Diego, and the boat is already well on its way to its new home port.

I ended up with 237 total hours, 26 boating days YTD, and 43 since last summer when the boat got its new exhaust system.

I had a chance a couple weeks ago to fulfill a dream - entering my Donzi in a car show. I am a member of the First Coast Car Council, and the Jacksonville Performance Boat Club. FCCC had its annual Ronald McDonald Car Show at a new location on the water that had ample dockage and finger piers. So I got 14 high performance boats to enter and we had a great time. The crowd loved the diversity. 500 registered cars, 7000 spectators, and 14 really cool boats. Perfect weather. And a local flying club did several 6-plane formation flyovers at noon. What a day!

Yes, I miss it already. No, I have not made a plan to replace it. After four Donzi's over the past 16 years, I believe that I may stand down for a while.

Be sure to check the For Sale section. I have a LOT of Donzi memorabilia that I will be offering there.

Fair winds and following seas, Donzi Quixote.

smokediver
10-01-2014, 09:21 AM
Aww come on Mark , you will be back !!

Last Tango
10-03-2014, 05:50 PM
Well... there is this Donzi 27ZR I have had my eye on for a while...

jvcobra
06-02-2015, 10:07 AM
Always loved this 22zx but it looks like I missed the boat on it. If you have contact with the new owners and they ever want to sell let me know. jv96cobra@yahoo.com