PDA

View Full Version : Minx Reloaded Part Deux

Cuda
04-04-2006, 05:51 PM
Now it seems the guy that outbid me on the 350 Efi says his wife made a mistake and bid it up higher than he wanted her to. The seller thinks it's bs too, but he said the guy has bought stuff from him before, so he isn't going to press the issue. Bottom line, he offered it to me for $2500. It was after the Boat Hospital already closed, but if they haven't started pulling the engine out of the Formula yet, I'll stop them, and go buy the 350 Efi for the Minx. I have to take the whole beat up boat, trailer and all, but I think I should be able to sell some of the parts to recoup some of the money. One thing is though, the seller is leaving tomorrow to go to the kilo runs in Crescent City. I told him I might ride up there and give him a deposit on the motor so he doesn't sell it out from under me. He's running some boat during the kilos, and will be there all week, so it will be next week or next weekend before I can pick up the boat with the engine. The funny thing is, Deb and I just rode our bikes up to Crescent City on Saturday. If we go there tomorrow, we'll probably ride the bikes again. I just don't see how I can go wrong with this buy. The seller said he originally installed this engine for the owner, and said it has never been off Lake Placid, and most likely has less than 100 hours on it.

mrfixxall
04-04-2006, 08:44 PM
Cuda, look at the bright side of it..You can atleast see how the engine runs in the boat that its in before you pull it...

Cuda
04-04-2006, 08:47 PM
Yes, the seller said he'd be glad to start it on the hose for me, and if I did't like anything I see, I don't have to buy it.

Cuda
04-05-2006, 11:24 AM
Well, now I'm back to plan B. They already started pulling the engine out of the Formula, so I'm going to have them run it on the floor first, and if it's all good, go ahead and install it. I called the ebay guy back and told him, so he wouldn't hold the engine for me if he has another buyer, but I also told him if mine didn't work out, I'd call him back. I'll have a week to find out, because he's at the kilos all week.

Cuda
04-06-2006, 02:55 PM
The mech from the Boat Hospital called this morning. They pulled the engine out of the Formula, and fired it up. They said they had to shut it right down, because it had too much oil pressure, and it was blowing oil from around the filter. He pulled the oil pump off, and blew air through the pressure regulating bypass. He said sometimes it would go through, and then it would not, so he replaced the oil pump. They were waiting for a pan gasket. The parts truck pulled up as I was leaving. The other mech was getting the engine in the Minx ready to pull. Looks like it's moving right along now.

MOP
04-06-2006, 04:15 PM
Nice! F/W cooling, looks like a decent mill lets hope it makes you love your Minx again!!!
Phil

Cuda
04-06-2006, 04:30 PM
Thanks, it was built to the 330 horse crate motor specs. I have the parts sheets around here somewhere. All good parts, forged crank, pistons, pink rods etc. I put the Fwc on it myself.

MOP
04-06-2006, 04:37 PM
330 horse should put you up about 65 with a mid to upper 40's cruise, it should cover ground and be easy on the petrol. Almost can't wait for your trial run.

Phil

Cuda
04-10-2006, 02:09 PM
I brought the offending engine out of the Minx to Cuda's Speed and Stud Sevice, for tear down, and analyzing. The engine just looks too good to give up on.

Cuda
04-10-2006, 02:11 PM
I also brought home the Formula that we took the engine out of to put in the Minx. He said they hope to have the other engine in and running by tomorrow. I hate seeing a boat that has been cannabalized. :(

MOP
04-10-2006, 06:57 PM
Joe get your old man over there and fix up the Minx engine then stuff it in the Formula, it will all turn out Ok!

Phil

Mr X
04-11-2006, 09:22 PM
Lookin good Joe! Keep the pics comming! :wink:

Cuda
04-12-2006, 06:15 PM
The neighbor's loader broke down the day before I needed him to unload the engine off the trailer.

Plan A

Put two 4x4's on the rolling pallet, which brings it about to the same height as the rear of the trailer. Then run a cable through the pallet on the trailer, run a chain through that cable, then hook a come along to my four wheeler, and winch it off. No go. It just started pulling the four wheeler

Cuda
04-12-2006, 06:16 PM
Plan B.

Use Debbie's truck in place of the four wheeler and the comealong.

Cuda
04-12-2006, 06:18 PM
Worked like a charm!

Getting my swerve on! :biggrin:

Cuda
04-12-2006, 06:19 PM
I got my neighbor to use his four wheeler to pull it up in the garage. Mine are automatics, and the stall speed is so high, I was afraid it jerk the rolling pallet from under the engine.

Now I can roll it around by hand on the flat garage floor. :)

Cuda
04-12-2006, 06:21 PM
Before I fooled with it at all today, I pulled the oil filter, cut it in half and didn't find any metal flakes of death. If I did, I'd have bagged it right then and started parting it out. I'll take it down to the block if need be.

MOP
04-12-2006, 06:53 PM
Joe I am hoping when you yank the heads it is an easily repairable top end thing.

Phil

Cuda
04-18-2006, 07:18 PM
Well, the Minx is back at home now, and the wallet is $2000 lighter. I fired it off in the driveway, it started right up, and sounded nice and tight. It doesn't sound as radical as the other engine, but I like it. I hope to smoke test it this weekend.

At least my driveway is getting back to normal. Last week, with the yellow Formula gone to donate and engine, and the Minx gone, I only had one boat in the drive. I'm still missing two boats to get back to normal.:D