PDA

View Full Version : 1967 18'er questions

npartin
04-04-2006, 12:22 AM
I am working on a 1967 18'er with the 351 and volvo drive( looks like the 250 but not sure and havent had a chance to check the SN's on the drive yet,)

have a couple of questions about the hull

1. does any one have a picture of a factory perfect 1967 so I can restore the dash back to factory stock

and

2. it it possible to add a second layer of thickness on to the stringers from the transom to front of the engine bay and tie in knees to the top of the transom without reducing the value of the hull and what meterials as far as layup glass did the factory use, it appears to be biaxial mat but it is really hard to tell due to the dirt , grime and the gelcoat in the engine compartment, the rest of the hull is totally solid but due to a leaking transom plate the inner transom and the rear of the stringers are either soft or rotten so will be in need of replacement and want to replace the pieces as close to the factory as possible..

finally what were the available colors that rolled out of the factory that year, the boat has been painted black but the original color was a red and the owner in the future will be returning it back to the color it was in 1967.

thanks for the info

nick

Rootsy
04-04-2006, 06:29 AM
here's a factory perfect photo or two of a 66 triple hatch in Lucan red... yours will be a wee bit different as far as vents (your 67 should be a barrelback, correct?). the dash photo should be pretty close if not exact... not sure if you have a morse shifter in your boat or not...

thanks to jeff leipham and his father daryl (this is daryl's boat, he purchased brand new in 66 and still owns)... I hope you don't mind others seeing this look into the past

as far as glass goes... the layup would have been most likely a straight polyester resin and roving and CSM alternating... stitchmats hadn't quite evolved yet at that time... but if you are gonna do any work i'd highly suggest using 24 oz kyntex... and the best place i've found, anywhere, for supplies, pricing and service is mertons fiberglass supply in Mass.

i've sistered my stringers (which were solid btw) for 8 feet of the boat and added a new transom which is a wee bit larger than the original... just in case i should ummmm ever decide to go overboard on power :biggrin:

penbroke
04-04-2006, 06:26 PM
I think BERTRAM BOY might be able to help ya out with the dash panel...

Frank

BERTRAM BOY
04-05-2006, 03:36 PM
Yup,
We can make dash panels and other reproduction parts.

Here's the link.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=43554

npartin
04-09-2006, 07:37 PM
sent ya a pm bertram boy also was incorrect on power.. its a 289 and lucan red must have been the color, its an exact match thanks rootsy

superhatz
04-09-2006, 11:58 PM
The red 18 makes me weep..........it's really a shame you don't see 'em like that anymore........perfect!