PDA

View Full Version : Mechanical steering helm

briangmr
03-31-2006, 10:27 PM
Sorry if this has been asked and answered, but I couldn't find any previous threads on this. The mechanical portion of the steering system on my 28ZX seems to have some play in it. I pulled the dash and watched the output from the cable drive and input to the hydraulic assist on the transom and noted about 10 degrees of play when I rotated the wheel back and forth (no fun at 65 mph in 5 ft seas). Does anyone know where I can get a replacement unit so that I can keep running this season?
Thanks.
-Brian

mrfixxall
03-31-2006, 10:35 PM
I believe you can tighten the nut on the back side of the helm to take the slop out..

briangmr
04-01-2006, 12:44 AM
Thanks, I'll give that a try next time I'm out with the boat.

-Brian

MOP
04-01-2006, 09:21 AM
Besides checking to see if the cables afixing nut at the helm is tight you need to look over the whole system, the assist actuators valve will move about 3/4" when you move the wheel making you think you have more then what it really is. The cable if more then a few years old will develope slop, the tiller arm can get loose on the square. You really need two people one to move the wheel and one to see what is going on where.

Phil