PDA

View Full Version : '92 22 Classic Battery Problem / Flapper Valve

903L
03-29-2006, 11:14 PM
I recently obtained a '92 22 Classic. When I tried to start it on the trailer (no water hooked up, just wanted to see if it would start before taking it out) the battery acted like it was almost dead. Engine would not turn, starter would just click. I hooked up a mighty-mite portable battery jumper, and still nothing. The mighty-mite will spin the heck outta my motorhome's 454 chevy which is the same engine in my boat. I also noticed that the positive cable begins to smoke when I hook up the starter to it. I heard the boat start and run at the shop. It started and ran great. Could it be a bad battery? It has a date on it of 6-4-99. Why would the positive terminal smoke?
Also I stuck my hand up in the King Cobra drive's exhaust to feel what kind of shape the passage ways were in. I pulled out something I felt laying loose inside the area where it mates to the transom when you put it down. It was a flapper valve approx. 2 1/2" X 3". Any ideas where the hell this came from? I am brand new to this boat, or any boat for that matter. I just ordered some manuals from Amazon, but was hoping maybe someone out there could help me sooner.

Thanks in advance,
Marty

Pismo
03-30-2006, 05:48 AM
Bad connection at the positive terminal, lots of resistance, resistance equal heat, heat equals smoke. The jumper would not help if it had to go through this bad connection as well. If there was no power, ie dead battery, then there would not be enough juice to heat up/smoke very much. Clean both terminals up thoroughly even if they look fine and you will be good. sandpaper, wire brush etc, a lot. King Cobras? no idea.

MOP
03-30-2006, 06:12 AM
The flapper is more then likely out of the Y pipe, the flapper is to keep water from running up the exhaust when the engine is off. Water can at times make it up the pipes if the transom dips low from a wave or someones wake.

Phil

Barry Eller
03-30-2006, 06:31 AM
I think you have a bad starter. The marine starters are much smaller than the starter on your motor home. They will burn up if you turn the engine over very long. Also, it is important to have water going to the waterpump anytime you spin the engine over, I fried a waterpump impeller spinning over a engine that didn't even have sparkplugs installed. Water is the only lubricant the impeller gets.

RedDog
03-30-2006, 06:49 AM
If you start it without water you will burn up the water pump impellor within seconds

Carl C
03-30-2006, 07:03 AM
Could be a bad connection like Pismo said. Could also be a bad starter(drawing too much juice) or,yes, a bad battery can cause your symptoms. It could also be a siezed motor but this is not likely since you heard it run recently.

903L
03-30-2006, 09:33 AM
Thanks Guys,

Thanks for all the suggestions. Especially about starting without water hooked up. You'd think just plain common sense would apply there. I feel like such a dumb-ass. The boat started right up at the shop and at the lake where they ran it before I picked it up. The trim tab lines are leaking hydraulic fluid. Should I replace these with braided stainless units? One more dumb question, What is a "Y" pipe and where is it located. I think I'll go ahead and replace the water pump now with a nice Teague Marine Unit due to my attempts to destroy it and the fact that it has sat dry for 2 years. I feel really sorry for this beautiful boat having to endure my learning experiences.

Thanks Again, I can't wait to clean up the terminal connections and try again. ( With the water hooked up this time. )

RickSE
03-30-2006, 10:06 AM
Probably not it but check to make sure the cables are hooked to the correct terminals, ++ --. Hooking them up backwards can make them smoke.

The "Y" pipe is the pipe where the exhaust drops down from the exhaust manifolds to mate with the exhaust passage through the drive, a 2 into 1 or Y pipe behind the motor.

Does the King Cobra use an external sea pump like the Bravo?

If the tabs are Bennett's you shouldn't need s.s. lines. Stainless would look good but most I've seen work fine with poly lines.

Nice looking 22. You know a bunch of us West folks are getting together at Powell this summer. If interested go to the events section.

RedDog
03-30-2006, 11:15 AM
T... I think I'll go ahead and replace the water pump now with a nice Teague Marine Unit due to my attempts to destroy it and the fact that it has sat dry for 2 years...

Might want to slow down. Each engine has 2 water pumps. One on the front of the engine similar to what you have on your American car/truck. If it isn't leaking around the seals it should be fine. The other pump is built into the King Cobra underneath the plastic housing. A re-build essentially consists of replacing the rubber impellor and possibly the impellor backing plate. Quick and easy.

Y-pipe: you would (should) only have one if you have switchable exhaust and/or through the prop exhaust. Your 22 may only have through transom exhaust and no y-pipe.