PDA

View Full Version : Alpha Gen1 lower shift cable ?

DONZI
03-29-2006, 04:37 PM
When replacing Alpha Gen1 lower shift cable.
The cable needs to be removed from the rear correct ?
So, i see a brass nut that appears that is attached to the cable inside (semi-blurred) photo below.
Is this theaded into the housing holding the cable in, or an adj. nut ?
What do you use a crows foot wrench ?

The second photo showing the small allen screw wire tied.
Do you remove the allen screw and slide the cable out of the lever ?
Or don't worry about and just replace the lever also ?
In other words what's the procedure for removing the cable ?:biggrin:
Thanks for all replies.
Ken

Rootsy
03-29-2006, 04:51 PM
the black boot on the end on the inside comes off... just unscrew the square head bolts on each side.... then the brass barrel and tube comes off the cable on the inside... you'll see that the cable and the tube have wrench flats...

on the outside remove the wire from the end of teh shift fork thingy.. then remove the set screw and it should slide right off.. then you'll need a socket with a nut welded on the end and a wrench to get the cable out of the bellhousing... merc makes this tool of course... or if you have a welder, a sears store and a hardware near by you can do it yourself... be careful puilling it through the shift boot (that keeps the water out of the boat)... the cable will come out as one piece, the black sheathing and the wire cable inside...

Trueser
03-29-2006, 05:55 PM
Or check this web site out!

http://www.outdriveshop.com/supplies/mdtips02.html

Good Luck

DONZI
03-29-2006, 06:37 PM
Thanks Rootsy !
Thanks Mike also!
I am more enlightened now.
That is quite a tech bulletin.

DonziJon
03-29-2006, 08:01 PM
HI DONZI: I did this job maybe four years ago. My memory is a little foggy. I am NOT an EXPERT like some of the guys on this board. I am an ameteur who learns by doing it myself. Each job is a first time. The cable change was not that bad. I believe directions came with the new (Mercruiser) cable. Around $50. US

I read "some of" the "Tech" article mentioned above. The article made it look pretty "Scary" to me. In real life, it was'nt that bad at all. A special wrench modification was required. There was no welding required.

I have the socket in my hand as I type this. It is a 9/16 Craftsman 3/8 drive deep socket..2 1/2 inches long by 3/4 inch outside diameter. I ground two flats.. one on either side of the ratchet end of the socket on the bench grinder to allow me to use a cresent or open end wrench on it, as well as a ratchet handle.

Once you get the old cable out, installation of the new one will become easier to visualise. Grinding up a completely good socket....(in my case I had to go out and buy a new one) grates on me, but it was necessary. A "crowfoot" might work but I think the grinding that would be required... (there is not much clearance around the nut) would weaken the wrench and not offer the grip possable with a socket.

Once the cable is installed, adjustment up at the throttle linkage end can be a little tedious but that was the worst of the job. I have a "Clymers" Mercruiser Stern Drive manual which is handy. (WEST Marine)

Hope this sheds even more light on the subject. Cheers: JOHN

LKSD
03-30-2006, 06:32 AM
The guys have you pretty well covered. My only tip is to make sure when you are installing the new cble be very careful not to kink it. Also try not to make any tight bends in the cable's routing. The straighter the better & easier it will shift for you.. :)

If you need anymore parts feel free to check out our site.. Jamie / Lakeside :)

www.LakesideRestorations.com