PDA

View Full Version : Starting Problem

LSUTIGERS74
03-29-2006, 01:14 PM
Just lately I have had a problem with starting my port engine, when I turn the key it does absolutely nothing as far as turning over the engine. All my gauges light up so I know everything is getting juice. I am new to this boat and have been tracing wires throughout to find a short in the ignition harness, but to no avail haven't found anything. Could this be a bad starter, on cars when the starter is bad it just clicks, but I am not even getting a click. This is 1990 30' Black Widow w/ 460 engines, none of the breakers are popped out on the engine riser, so none of the fuses have been blown there. Are there any other fuse boxes or breakers located on this boat?? I am still learning so bare with me.

RedDog
03-29-2006, 01:29 PM
Could be a bad ignition (key) switch - common problem and cheap to replace.

joel3078
03-29-2006, 01:58 PM
Think of yourself as lucky in troubleshooting world. You have one that works and one that doesn't. When you only have 1 engine, you don't have a good system/engine to copy and help out with troubleshooting reasoning/testing.

Remember the following:
It's easier to trace a good signal/voltage present vs. no signal/no voltage. Keep using your voltmeter/test light and work from the area were you have 12vdc preesent, to the area were you have no power/12vdc. I'd start at the starter relay myself. See if it powers up when you turn the key. If not, go to the very beginning, and check the key switch and then work your way back to the starter relay, starter itself, etc.

You have 2 engines, copy everything from the good one to the the bad one...... Take a test reading on the good one, and take the exact same reading on the bad one.

The whole idea here is to find out were the break in 12vdc power is on the bad one - thus hopefully finding the culprit to why the 2nd motor wont turn over.

mrfixxall
03-29-2006, 02:16 PM
check ground cables,,check the nutral safety switch at the shift control,check the main harness at the engine and check the starter cable at the starter they come loose often.....

also on omc they have a main fuse located in the back of the engine (one wire,looks like male and female black rubber boots that slide into eachother theirs a humongo fuse in it....

LSUTIGERS74
03-29-2006, 03:43 PM
Well the problem using the other engine as a copy to see what looks right and wrong, is that it is in pieces at the moment b/c it had water and oil mixture, due to right bank head chewing a rust hole through itself. Currently nothing is hooked up on that engine. So really and truly I have no engines working and luck is not on my side at the moment, but you brought up a good point on the tracing and that is what I will plan to do. Thanks for the helpful info.

Also where is the nuetral safety switch located, I am not familar with this function.

MOP
03-29-2006, 04:55 PM
Take a volt meter attach it to ground and the black/yellow wire by the starter assist solinoid, when you turn the key to the start position the volt meter should have full 12 volt reading. That will let you know if the juice is getting that far! Next take a small but fairly long jumper wire go from Bat+ and touch the inside small terminal on the starter, if it rolls over replace the assist solinoid if it don't turn yank the starter. The above applies to GM only!

If it is a Ford all stays the same up until the solinoid, if you get a good reading take regular jumper cables using just one first hook to the starters main post then touch it to the battery+ if NG replace the starter.

If I missed something one of the younger more awake guys can help out!!

Phil

mrfixxall
03-29-2006, 05:32 PM
What mop said and just adding to his list,,,the terminal on the starter solenoid should have a letter (s) for start (i ) is for ignition which is no longer in use for the newer boats dont have a resistor wire for the coil..

Take the wire and junp to the s ternimal...

joseph m. hahnl
03-29-2006, 06:35 PM
Does the OMC have the slave solonoid Like the merc? If so that could be the trouble .

joe

mrfixxall
03-29-2006, 06:43 PM
Did you say the other engine is out or apart??? if so check the ground cable,some riggers loop the ground cables from engine to engine and then to the battery to save on battery cable costs...

LSUTIGERS74
03-30-2006, 09:13 AM
Late yesterday I finally found the culprit after tracing the ignition wires and all the battery cables. The Batt. (+) wire on the starter was not getting a very good connection after some good wiggling the engine finally turned over, although it did not crank. After some more fidgeting around the engine I realized the damn throttle cable had fallen off the caberator linkage, this would explain the freaking engine not firing off.

Rule of physics, got have fuel to ignite, man I feel like a dumbass on that one. The cotter pin had broken in half and that explains how the cable got loose on the linkage. I replaced the cotter and the engine fired right up just like it was brand new.

It is amazing how good it feels to actually troubleshoot a project and get the damn thing to actually work.

gold-n-rod
03-30-2006, 10:14 AM
Good detective work, Inspector Clouseau!!!

:wavey:

mrfixxall
03-30-2006, 10:37 AM
check ground cables,,check the nutral safety switch at the shift control,check the main harness at the engine and check the starter cable at the starter they come loose often.....
also on omc they have a main fuse located in the back of the engine (one wire,looks like male and female black rubber boots that slide into eachother theirs a humongo fuse in it....
check the main harness at the engine and check the starter cable at the starter they come loose often