PDA

View Full Version : 32 Sunsation goes down

Schnook
03-28-2006, 05:19 PM
There's a story on OSO and Speedwake about a 32 Sunsation that went down in Clear Lake last weekend. It was jumping a tug boat wake. Sorry, but I can't copy a link on this system. Maybe someone can or I will when I get home. There's some good info on boating around large vessels. Thank goodness everyone was o.k.

tiger lily
03-28-2006, 07:12 PM
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125894

that should be the link for that post.

txtaz
03-29-2006, 12:17 AM
Wow, A good friend of mine sold him that boat last summer. Supposedly did 98mph, but you know how owners talk. Sorry to hear it. It was a great boat and well taken care of.

olredalert
03-29-2006, 09:18 AM
--------Just read all the stuff on Offshore but cant pull up the pics. Is a "Dominator" a Sunsation model??? Sunsation builds a good boat. To date I have never heard a report of one breaking up in quite this way. As close to the factory (physically) as I am you would think that this kind of stuff would be talked about............Bill S

Ranman
03-29-2006, 12:22 PM
--------Just read all the stuff on Offshore but cant pull up the pics. Is a "Dominator" a Sunsation model??? Sunsation builds a good boat. To date I have never heard a report of one breaking up in quite this way. As close to the factory (physically) as I am you would think that this kind of stuff would be talked about............Bill S

Yes. The Dominator is one of Sunsation's 32 foot models

Cuda
03-29-2006, 12:40 PM
It ain't pretty. Luckily, nobody was seriously injured.

ChromeGorilla
03-29-2006, 02:57 PM
just a question is the tug capt responsible for his wake and the damage it does not necessarily in this situation but say it was a small runabout adrift and the wake capsized it???

Matty... your right.... say a boat is moored peacefully and you or the tug or any other boat threw a large enough wake to capsize the other vessel.... yes you are responsible for your wake... operate accordingly..... No different if it was someone in a canoe fishing. I you threw a huge wake and swamped his canoe and it was damaged or lost..... you get the idea.....

but in this situation, I don't believe the tug captain has any worries.... the Sunsation could have slowed down to encounter the wake.....

BUIZILLA
03-29-2006, 03:30 PM
Matty... your right.... say a boat is moored peacefully and you or the tug or any other boat threw a large enough wake to capsize the other vessel.... yes you are responsible for your wake... operate accordingly..... No different if it was someone in a canoe fishing. I you threw a huge wake and swamped his canoe and it was damaged or lost..... you get the idea.....
but in this situation, I don't believe the tug captain has any worries.... the Sunsation could have slowed down to encounter the wake.....it could be called *culpable negligence* on the part of the boat operator

JimG
03-30-2006, 08:00 AM
The Sunsation was operating in the Houston Ship Channel. Lot's of room there to go around, slow down and avoid the wake...

I was on a Superboat out ahead of them when it happened.