PDA

View Full Version : Does it ever end?

Cuda
03-28-2006, 04:13 PM
I took the Minx out for the first time since I got it back from the shop. At that time, the guy said it had two cylinders with low compression, and they wanted to pull the heads and do a valve job. Now, the engine has maybe ten hours on it, so I doubted their compression readings. Well, I decide to test smoke it today. I took it to the river, and got up on a plane, ran for a little ways at about 3000, then it started missing real bad, and a couple of backfires. I made it back to the ramp. I didn't even bother to bring it home. I took it straight back to the Boat Hospital and told them to go ahead and pull the heads. I told them when they get them off, call me and let me come take a look, and see how I want to proceed. I'm perfectly capable of pulling and replacing the heads, but I'd probably get them halfway pulled, then it would be a year before I had time to finish it. The worse thing is, Sunday, I put it on Boat Trader. There's a waste of $155. I won't sell it like it's running now. I wanted to test it Sunday before I put it on there, but Deb didn't want to go with me.

I was already at the Boat Hospital once today, taking the Checkmate back that I had picked up on Friday, because I thought I might run it some at Mt Dora, but it was too cold and windy. I have it on consignment at the BH.

I told them today when I brought the Minx in, I was just going to go ahead and change my mailing address to their place.

Here it is, back at home at the BH.

Rootsy
03-28-2006, 05:22 PM
BOAT.... Break Out Another Thousand.... sorry to hear about your woes joe... it never does end...

are they sure it's the valves????

Cuda
03-28-2006, 05:34 PM
BOAT.... Break Out Another Thousand.... sorry to hear about your woes joe... it never does end...
are they sure it's the valves????
No, but that's always my first supspicion with low compression. I'll check after they get the heads pulled.

It could be worse. I could own a yacht.

Yikes
Another
Couple
Hundred
Thousand

:)

mrfixxall
03-28-2006, 05:39 PM
two bad cylenders wouldnt cause a back fire...do you still have points? It could be bad points,weak coil and or your shift cable is misadjusted...The shift interupt may be causing your problems....if it has a constant popping noise through the carb whyle under load then i would say its a burnt valve or a broken valve spring or a flat cam lobe on the cam..

p.s. you said that the engine has 10 hr on it,,,,have them readjust the valves first,,the engine builder could have over thghtened the rockers and that would cause low compression and popping through the carb.......

joseph m. hahnl
03-28-2006, 06:11 PM
Sorry to here that Joe: Sounds like your committed now ,to them taking the heads off. FYI allways check the plug wires have been put on correctly. Especially when some one takes them off.Back firing thru the carb or pipe and gas running out the pipe is a tell tail sign. only takes 2 to F it up.

Food for thought Joe; Maybe these guys are taking you for a ride. They see a lot of green comming from your pockets. Maybe they think you are an endless well. It would be very easy for them to cross the wires knowing you would never check it. I new of a Mechanic who would say something was broken pretened to fix it when he did nothing and charge the people for the job.

Hope it all works out for you.

joe

Cuda
03-28-2006, 06:21 PM
I know what you mean about mech's taking you for a ride. One time my dad took his truck in to have the oil changed. It never did run right after that. He found where they had cut the plug boots to make it arc to ground. What's so bad is, my dad HATES to take his stuff anywhere to have it done, and I'm sure he only did it that time to make mom quit griping at him. It backfired on her, he won't take it in anymore. He's 78, and still does all his wrenching.

As far as where I take it, I really don't think they would do that. The owner, his wife, and the mechanic that worked on my boat are all church people. Also, it ran too good in the driveway to have plug wires swapped. I just emailed them and told them I want to look at it after they get the valve covers off, before they pull the heads. Believe me, getting those valve covers off is a frigging job on it's own. Like an idiot, I just HAD to have those red valve covers. The only one's they had in stock were tall covers. Now, I have to take the exhaust loose, just to remove the valve covers. :(

MOP
03-28-2006, 07:30 PM
Joe were the weak cylinders paired (side by side) possibly it has a blown head gasket between two. You may not have an appreciable amount of water getting in but should see a red trace on the plugs if it had a gasket problem. With a mild leak they can run fair at speed but go to hell at low speed.

Phil

Cuda
03-28-2006, 07:39 PM
I think he said there was one on each bank. I'll find out tomorrow. They were just about to close when I brought the boat in.

motorcity
03-28-2006, 07:49 PM
Miss-adjusted rocker arms could cause the problems you are having. When they get the valve covers of you may want to wiggle each one to see if the are to loose or over tightened.

MOP
03-28-2006, 08:19 PM
Honest Joe I am saying a prayer it is something little, you have been spanked enough by wet toys!

Phil

BUIZILLA
03-28-2006, 09:06 PM
valves adjusted too tight...:idea:

Shanghied Again
03-29-2006, 04:31 PM
Cuda: I feel for you, I use to own a 30 Scarab Panther that everytime I turned around it would drain me $1000 here $1000 there and always broke something major. I replaced one motor the outdrive blows, replace the 2nd motor didn't want to take a chance so I replace the outdrive.. Knothing to worry about now! Yea OK gas Tank goes bad. blow another outdrive not covered and loose another engine.. I repaired the boat and sold it! and the guy that bought it never had a problem after (My Luck) So I feel your Pain my Brother.:boggled:

Cuda
03-30-2006, 05:21 PM
They pulled the valve covers and exhaust today. I got there in time to check it out. There was some water in the oil, but that wouldn't cause my bad running. Quite a few of the rocker arms were somewhat loose. If I'm not mistaken, aren't they supposed to be set to zero, and then three quarters of a turn? He's pressure testing my exhaust tomorrow. I told them I'd call and tell them how I want to proceed. To be honest with you, I'm ready to sell it just as it sits, and take the beating. :(

mrfixxall
03-30-2006, 05:26 PM
cuda,that depends on which lifters you have....lash to zero then 1/4 to 1/2 turn usually...

gold-n-rod
03-30-2006, 05:28 PM
There was some water in the oil, but that wouldn't cause my bad running. :(

If water was entering the cylinders (like maybe from a bad exhaust manifold/riser) it could put out the spark (bad running) and wash down into the crankcase where it would mix with the oil, right?

Loose rockers can't be good either. :fire:

Cuda
03-30-2006, 05:30 PM
cuda,that depends on which lifters you have....lash to zero then 1/4 to 1/2 turn usually...
Either way, there shouldn't be any clearance in them.

Cuda
03-30-2006, 05:33 PM
Loose rockers can't be good either. :fire:
That happened on this same engine once before. I took it back where I bought it, and they replaced the self locking nut. I think he told me they replaced them all, but they obviously did not. You only get some many times on a self locking nut, then they lose their ability to self lock. I think that is why it wasn't running right, but that doesn't explain the water in the oil. It's not a helluva a lot of water, like I've seen before, but enough to be concerned with.

BUIZILLA
03-30-2006, 05:56 PM
is it eating a lobe??

Cuda
03-30-2006, 06:09 PM
is it eating a lobe??
It's possible, but since one rocker loosened before, I'm leaning that direction. I may have just found a whole replacement engine for a good price.

mrfixxall
03-30-2006, 06:52 PM
If you have water in the oil it will foam up and airate the lifters and then they will collapse..I would have them change and flush the oil and then readjust the rockers....also have them get rid of the self locking rocker nuts and install poly locks then for sure they wont come loose....

Cuda
04-01-2006, 10:32 AM
I made an offer on a 95 350 Efi. I should know by Monday if he accepts it or not. Hell, that'll probably make me want to keep the boat. :)

mrfixxall
04-01-2006, 11:21 AM
I made an offer on a 95 350 Efi. I should know by Monday if he accepts it or not. Hell, that'll probably make me want to keep the boat. :)
Cuda you will probably get the newer engine have it installed,sell the boat and the new owner won't have a lick of problem's with it....:yes:

Cuda
04-02-2006, 02:03 PM
Damn! I just got outbid on a 350 Efi. :mad:

pmreed
04-02-2006, 05:16 PM
Sorry Joe, I really want to see your Minx Run.

Phil

Cuda
04-02-2006, 07:47 PM
I'm checking into other options now. I should just have them pull the motor, and let me bring it home. All these jack legged mechanics are pissing me off.

onesubdrvr
04-02-2006, 07:53 PM
I'm checking into other options now. I should just have them pull the motor, and let me bring it home. All these jack legged mechanics are pissing me off.
Joe,

My legs are named Pat and Joe, not Jack..... Let me know if I can help you out.

Wayne