PDA

View Full Version : Cranking Amps ?

Sam
03-28-2006, 12:58 PM
I just picked up a new 1000 cranking amp starting battery today and have the following question. Let's say you have a basic V-8, how do you know how much battery to buy when choosing a starting battery. Forget about radios and what ever else you might run off it I'm just talking about raw starting power. I'm no electric wiz so usually just buy the most powerful battery I can find :yes:.

THX
Sam

Cuda
03-28-2006, 01:03 PM
I do the same thing. I buy the battery with the most CCA. You can't beat Sam's Club for price, 1000 CCA, for $49, and if you pick one up, you will notice they are quite a bit heavier than one's with less CCA.

Sam
03-28-2006, 01:41 PM
Great minds think alike, that's where I bought it from. Geez I hope we don't end up with flaming arrows in our backs now for buying from Sam's Club :rolleyes:.

mrfixxall
03-28-2006, 02:20 PM
Big cca is always good but if your running two batterys you really dont need it..i run interstate and had the best luck with them.....Ive had my x for 20 yrs and im on my 4th battery...im averaging 1 battery every 5 years....

Sam
03-28-2006, 02:48 PM
This would have been the 5th year for mine and just didn't want to chance it. I also picked up a battery load tester. Now that I'm back to being a fleet captain I have batteries everywhere. Any tips on using that other than reading the directions :bonk:.

tiger lily
03-28-2006, 08:33 PM
Big cca is always good but if your running two batterys you really dont need it..i run interstate and had the best luck with them.....Ive had my x for 20 yrs and im on my 4th battery...im averaging 1 battery every 5 years....

must be nice, mine eats batterys, dont know what it is, but once the motor is hot it takes all the juice of the battery and then some to start if i shut it down. i always keep one of those porta jump packs with me.

farmer tx
03-28-2006, 09:23 PM
Tiger, You have too small of a primary wire from the battery to the starter.

Ranman
03-28-2006, 10:05 PM
Geez I hope we don't end up with flaming arrows in our backs now for buying from Sam's Club :rolleyes:.

Sam's Club is owned by WalMart, of which I have a major issue with as well. It has something to do with a downward spiraling corporate philosophy of "since we pay you less, we can offer you lower cost items". I'm a Meijer and Costco guy.

Sorry for the arrow as that's a whole other topic (of which I'm not going to start), I just like giving you :toiletpap Sam. :D :D

Sam
03-29-2006, 09:42 AM
That's ok Randy I still luv ya :uzi:.

Your Humble Servant
Sam

Schnook
03-29-2006, 11:48 AM
Sam's Club is owned by WalMart, of which I have a major issue with as well. It has something to do with a downward spiraling corporate philosophy of "since we pay you less, we can offer you lower cost items". I'm a Meijer and Costco guy.
Sorry for the arrow as that's a whole other topic (of which I'm not going to start), I just like giving you :toiletpap Sam. :D :D
Does anyone have any experience with the Costco brand batteries?

Sam
03-29-2006, 12:04 PM
No direct experience other than I know they are made by JCI (Johnson Controls).

joseph m. hahnl
03-29-2006, 06:52 PM
must be nice, mine eats batterys, dont know what it is, but once the motor is hot it takes all the juice of the battery and then some to start if i shut it down. i always keep one of those porta jump packs with me.

I had a Ford that did that. it would also eat solonoids from the hugh amps from a low battery. In my case the battery was to large and the altenator would not could not charge the battery to 100% . The other thing was It had such a heavy cam I had to advance the timing which made it run hot. It would over heat after I shut it off, the temp gage would shoot over 215F

If you notice on Fords they have a tiny Battery.That is what led me to believe I had to much battery.

joe

synack
03-30-2006, 11:44 AM
I just picked up a new 1000 cranking amp starting battery today and have the following question. Let's say you have a basic V-8, how do you know how much battery to buy when choosing a starting battery. Forget about radios and what ever else you might run off it I'm just talking about raw starting power. I'm no electric wiz so usually just buy the most powerful battery I can find :yes:.
THX
Sam

CCA is defined as how many amps the batt will output for 30 secs at freezing. Most of us don't ever run boats in that temp anyway. Brrrrrr

From what I've seen in the past, for V8 engines, the proper MINIMUM CCA for an engine is equal to it's CID. So, a 454 should get a minimum of a 454 CCA battery. 4 and 6 cyl engines don't follow this 1:1 ratio.

Johnson Controls makes a TON of private label brands including: Costco's Kirkland, Sear's Diehard, Optima, Walmart's Everstart, Motorcraft, and Autozone's Duralast.