PDA

View Full Version : Bellhousing assembly

farmer tx
03-28-2006, 12:15 PM
Got the Alpha > Bravo conversion done. After following the correct bleed and purge instructions for the trim cylinders I noticed scuff marks on the top of the bellhousing. The gimble ring appears to be rubbing on it. Anybody know what causes this? This is a brand new bellhousing, the transom assembly I purchased had a cracked bellhousing so it was replaced, as were the trim sender and limit switch. The entire drive was gone thru and inspected, all tolerances checked and reset. Both sides are scuffed in the same area.

RedDog
03-28-2006, 01:02 PM
no help but I have something similar but just not nearly as bad. On both sides the paint is scrapped - about 3/32s wide and 1.5 long. Location is just a little lower (or out from the transom) than yours

gcarter
03-29-2006, 06:25 AM
Mark, If you go through and determine your assembly of spacers, insulators,etc., is correct, you may want to dis-assemble the bell housing and grind a bit on the gimble ring for clearance. As you said, these parts aren't previously matched. They are castings and there are bound to be tolerances that can get out of whack at times. This shouldn't be a big deal other than the frustration of re-finishing the parts. Better to make sure it fits right.
I had some new GLM/Alpha trim cylinders that the outer hydraulic tube bosses would scratch the cavitation plate on both sides whenever the trim was all the way in. I ground on the bosses till they cleared most of the time.

Rootsy
03-29-2006, 06:40 AM
now that's a good one... and unless i really study mine sitting on the bench i am not sure if i can shed anymore light either... but it definitely is metal to metal contact... but the problem is... i do NOT understand how it could occur... that bellhousing is attached to the gimble by a rigid mount using the 2 pivot pins... beneath the trim indicatior and trim limit switches... the only thing behind the gimble ring is the water hose in that area but i don't think it's doing that damage for sure... just a thought but maybe your trim limit setting is too high allowing the bellhousing to rotate back into the gimble too far?

what did you replace in the gimble, if anything other than the bellhousing???

farmer tx
03-29-2006, 08:53 AM
Rootsy, The contact is being made when the unit is being raised with the trailer switch. Is there a limit on the trailer position? I don't think I have ever seen one.

Madpoodle, The gimble serial # starts with OF xxxxxxxxxx. The drive serial is OLxxxxxxxxx. Is that enough info to find out where the parts #'s break?

George, I thought about clearancing the gimble (tech talk for grinding). That may be what it comes down to.