PDA

View Full Version : Mercruiser maintenance

cdunning
03-27-2006, 10:55 PM
I have a 5.7L Mercruiser engine that I'm trying to rebuild, but I'm having a tough time finding the right gasket set. Anybody know where I can find a good/cheap complete set? As far as I know the engine is an 87-95, non EFI, but I'm not sure of the exact year. Thanks!

MOP
03-28-2006, 06:02 AM
I have a 5.7L Mercruiser engine that I'm trying to rebuild, but I'm having a tough time finding the right gasket set. Anybody know where I can find a good/cheap complete set? As far as I know the engine is an 87-95, non EFI, but I'm not sure of the exact year. Thanks!

Most of the guys are running Felpro, any good auto parts should have what you need.

Phil

Sam
03-28-2006, 01:45 PM
Ditto to what MOP said, that's what I have on mine.

mrfixxall
03-28-2006, 02:12 PM
What every body else said plus,,felpro dont make a conplete marine gasget set ypu have to buy them seperate...part # as follows

The marine head set has ss metal in the gasget,if your running in salt weaer your gonna need thease....

head set #17230 for 270 hp mag

the timing cover set any sbc will do

the oil pan gasget #17982 (this is a one piece gasget and works the best and is also for a pass side dipstick).

like i said make their marine gasgets,dont spimp on the cheeper auto set it could cost you in the long run if they fail....

also the rear main seal is standard rotation if you get the yellow one its wrong and the rms will leak..

good luck
mcd