PDA

View Full Version : My first possible upgrade for my boat

OKII
03-26-2006, 03:02 PM
Well, after 3 years of bone stock I am considering upgrading a couple of things to my boat. Its a 2002 22 classic with a 496HO, outdrive is a bravo one X, with a Mirage plus 25p. I am considering replacing my lower unit w/ an IMCO 2" shorty for starters. I have a couple questions please bear with me as I am not the most technologically savvy person.
First question is can anyone give me a couple references on how this has worked out for anyone else out there.
2. Anyone know of good credibe retailers and what a fair price for a shorty is. 3. What is the best recommendation for a prop/pitch once the conversion is done.
4. will this affect my silent chioce exhaust function whatsoever?
Is there anything else I may need to know about before I pull the trigger on this upgrade?

Thank you very much in advance, I appreciate it--John

DonCig
03-26-2006, 04:24 PM
John, you will receive a number of opinions on this upgrade. I have been down this route with my 18, and in hindsite I would spend the dollars on the engine upgrades first.
It is very easy to drop $3,000 on either project, so do a thread search here and on offshore only and jump on in. I do not think that you will disappointed with either route.
Last and certainly not least, set aside $3,000 for lots of gas and refreashments and put it off till next year! LOL

Don

MOP
03-26-2006, 05:02 PM
RT posted the shorty pretty much kills your hole shot, a Pro Charger might be another consideration I believe the cost is similar.
Ooop's on the PC cost, plus not a great idea with a stock crank.

Phil

Dr. Dan
03-26-2006, 06:40 PM
:cool: John- Talk to RoadTrip and Catch 22, both are currently running Shorter Lower Units on other wise Stock Drives...

IMO I agree with Don, spend the money on the engine first, I definitely did. But the Drive is next..:bonk:

The easiest bolt on for definitive Horsepower is the New CMI Headers for the 496HO, they will likely cost ya just North of $4K but it will let your engine breath, might get ya another pitch in the Prop.

Another suggestion is to attend some Events :spongebob , I learned more from actual Owners who have done the improvements, than from any other resource.

The people on this board are very experienced, but its best to see the results in person. Lake George, 1000 Ilses and Lake Winnie are all very close to you.

You will have to spend time talking to the everyone, pick their brain. By them drinks.... ya might even have a good time while you're at it.:beer:

Good Luck, Get your Butt to some Events... See ya around.

Doc :shades:

LKSD
03-27-2006, 11:33 AM
I would not rule out a Procharger for your engine, just keep the boost low. Its only the late model 496's that are the real current problem children. Also a shorty wouldnt hurt neither would the CMI stuff. It's all just really pricey stuff. If you are serious about doing the stuff feel free to call me. I may be able to help you. We sell & install these components regularly.. ;) :)

Jamie / Lakeside Restorations 570-639-2628

OKII
04-03-2006, 10:56 PM
Jamie Sent you a PM thank you for the info-john

pmreed
04-03-2006, 11:30 PM
A major part of any serious upgrade in speed should be an upgrade to the stock steering. I'm running low to mid 70s, and any upgrade for me will absolutely include external, hydraulic steering. I'm comfortable with the stock steering at the speeds I'm running, but you push 80 and above and I think you'll want the added safety and control of the external system.

Phil

Pismo
04-04-2006, 06:50 AM
Steering is a must, I am at 74-75mph and have not done any upgrades yet because I need to do steering first. The early 496s had some forged internals but I don't know at exactly which serial # they switched but I am sure you could find out. If it is an early model it may be able to handle the procharger better. The newer ones definitely have problems when boosted. The engineer at the Miami show who built the Shelby said the 2" X rise was too much and that a 2" shorty shimmed to 1 1/2" would be perfect, they also stuck with a MPlus prop which may have been their problem. CMI Exhaust and a good arrestor would probably give you 60+hp but you lose your silent choice unless you spend even more on CMI's choice system. Props, I have heard a 26" Bravo 1 or hydromotive 4 blade are good with a shorty. Shorties are great because you can leave the engine stock. A shorty also makes steering even more necessary because you are putting drive bullet in front of the pivot point which makes steering even more tricky.

LKSD
04-04-2006, 07:53 AM
Steering should be considered depending on the speed & aggressiveness one plans to drive with.. Jamie / Lakeside

RickSE
04-04-2006, 11:25 AM
I'd also consider your insurance coverage. If you put more HP in the engine you better tell your insurance company. Seems like most companies cut off coverage around 500 H.P. or 75-MPH. I've always considered a shortie drive as an upgrade that the insurance company does not need to know about.