PDA

View Full Version : What's a Good Sealer for the Muffler Tips?

joseph m. hahnl
03-26-2006, 01:35 PM
I was working on putting in the Dapars in today. Thought I could slip the Rubber hoses over the Dapars and then slide the rubber hose back into place. Wrong answer Even with soap I couldn't get it to budge after I slipped them in place. So I got Tired Of F'N around and I took the tips off. Then It started to snow and rain "What The" any way should go real smooth doing it this way . Just would like to know what sealer is recomended for sealing the tip to the transom.

joe

lee
03-26-2006, 02:56 PM
I was working on putting in the Dapars in today. Thought I could slip the Rubber hoses over the Dapars and then slide the rubber hose back into place. Wrong answer Even with soap I couldn't get it to budge after I slipped them in place. So I got Tired Of F'N around and I took the tips off. Then It started to snow and rain "What The" any way should go real smooth doing it this way . Just would like to know what sealer is recomended for sealing the tip to the transom.
joe5200 and duct tape are the only tools i know how to use

Jamesbon
03-26-2006, 03:45 PM
Amen, lee.

joseph m. hahnl
03-26-2006, 04:11 PM
5200 and duct tape are the only tools i know how to use

OH Sorry : Did I mention this is a Donzi. Not a Baja: Duct tape is reserved for snowmobiles and cars.

High heat RTV or can I use regular silicon?

joe

Carl C
03-26-2006, 06:19 PM
Not silicone. Use 5200 sealer like lee said. 4200 works good too. You can get it at a boat store.

gcarter
03-26-2006, 06:43 PM
Not silicone. Use 5200 sealer like lee said. 4200 works good too. You can get it at a boat store.
Just don't over do it as you'll want to get them off at a later date.

Carl C
03-26-2006, 06:53 PM
Just don't over do it as you'll want to get them off at a later date.At $10 a tube who's gonna overdo it!:starfish:

joseph m. hahnl
03-26-2006, 07:03 PM
NO NO NO, you don't permantely glue you muffler tips on . Carl I hope you didn't use that. You should read this link.
http://www.talkaboutboats.com/group/rec.boats/messages/646893.html

I will use the High temp RTV sealer. It orignaly was done with clear silicone.
Probably is cool enough in that area . But better safe then sorry.

joe

Carl C
03-26-2006, 07:13 PM
Alright, I could be wrong but I was told to use 5200. I figured to just use a small bead. Does marine RTV work? More input is needed.:confused:

joseph m. hahnl
03-26-2006, 07:30 PM
Alright, I could be wrong but I was told to use 5200. I figured to just use a small bead. Does marine RTV work? More input is needed.:confused:

Carl did you use it on yours? if you did it's a done deal so just take good care of them and you'll never have to take them off.
I'm pretty sure this is the first time mine have been off since the boat was made.
I could have taken the riser off instead , It was just less work to take the tips off. I was just going to cut a paper gasket but I wasn't sure how hot it would get and I was afraid it could catch fire.

joe

David Hartmann
03-26-2006, 07:37 PM
5200 is a permanant adhesive selant. It is great stuff but I would not use it in a place that is was not needed.

You can use silcone above th waterline but I never let the stuff on my boat. IT just does not hold up lond term.

Polydisulfide is really the best for most applications. It is aslo know as bedding compound. The most popular brand is Boatlife. IT is in an yellow and black tube and comes in white, brown , and black.

It is very messy stuff. I tend to try to use it in a way that none f it will squeze out of the joint and if any does I wait till it cures and trim it very carefully with a razor blade. I use whit even though the boat is blue. it takes care but you can make sure none of it shows.

It is good for above an below the waterline. It does take days to fully cure but you can submerge it the second it is applied. I think it can even be applied in the water but I am not sure

If you

Carl C
03-26-2006, 07:39 PM
I haven't put them on yet but I hear that the stock cans are on with gobs of the stuff and you really have to work to get them off. You have to put something in them and rock them back and forth. I'll do what people say here. I was actually told to use 4200 and I just looked it up in the Boater's World catalog and it says "3M Marine Fast Cure 4200 hasd approximately half the adhesive strength of 3M Marine 5200 making it suitable for applications requiring later disassembly". So I think I will use 4200!

joseph m. hahnl
03-26-2006, 07:45 PM
I haven't put them on yet but I hear that the stock cans are on with gobs of the stuff and you really have to work to get them off. You have to put something in them and rock them back and forth. I'll do what people say here. I was actually told to use 4200 and I just looked it up in the Boater's World catalog and it says "3M Marine Fast Cure 4200 hasd approximately half the adhesive strength of 3M Marine 5200 making it suitable for applications requiring later disassembly". So I think I will use 4200!

in that link it said 5200 softens @ 200 degrees you should use a heat gun and heat the tips up try and soften the adhesive. Just be really carefull not to burn the gel coat

joe

mrfixxall
03-26-2006, 08:53 PM
DONT USE 5200,you will never get them off uith out distroying the gel.....

Boat us make a under water silicone that's called lifeseal iw works the best.....................

yeller
03-26-2006, 09:06 PM
Use the High Temp RTV Copper.
I could never get my aluminum log manifolds to seal for more than a few uses. Tried every type of gasket I could find. Finally used the RTV Copper (no gasket)...problem solved.

joseph m. hahnl
03-27-2006, 04:30 PM
Thanks for all the input .finished one side today .I will tackel the other one later this week. The sealer is only to keep water out of the boat I used the high heat silicon sealer. that is what was on it before so that is what I used.
Again thanks for the help

Soon to be the quiet minx with the thru hull exhaust.:)
joe