PDA

View Full Version : Mt Dora pics from the river run today

Cuda
03-24-2006, 08:56 PM
We took 95 pictures today, I'll post a few.

Cuda
03-24-2006, 08:58 PM
I was sure I was going to get a shot of Jim (Catch 22) falling off into the water, climbing out on the trailer with flip flops on! His agility fooled me. He got away dry! :)

Cuda
03-24-2006, 09:00 PM
There was about a twenty mile an hour north wind blowing down the lake, making it kind of dicey. :)

Cuda
03-24-2006, 09:02 PM
When we first pulled out into the lake and I saw how rough it was, I was thinking, oh boy, Russ is going to get beat in that sixteen. It amazed me how well it rode, and Russ wasn't shy about running it! :)

Cuda
03-24-2006, 09:06 PM
Catch 22 Senior.

He's a damn good hand at driving that Minx. :D

Cuda
03-24-2006, 09:08 PM
A couple of people pics before we launched.

Cuda
03-24-2006, 09:11 PM
The Miami contingent meets us in the canal.

Cuda
03-24-2006, 09:13 PM
Running up the canal. The blue sixteen with the v drive as a cool boat.

Cuda
03-24-2006, 09:15 PM
GCarter, Reddog (Tim), and Elaine.

Cuda
03-24-2006, 09:17 PM
Approaching the lock.

Cuda
03-24-2006, 09:18 PM
Buizilla, and Mad Poodle.

Cuda
03-24-2006, 09:20 PM
Inside the lock. Note the water level.

Cuda
03-24-2006, 09:22 PM
Going down????????????????

Cuda
03-24-2006, 09:25 PM
I knew we had to go through a lock, but I figured five or six foot elevation change. I damn sure wasn't ready for a twenty four foot drop! This is Florida you know. It kind of gave me the heebee geebees being in there.:eek: :D

Cuda
03-24-2006, 09:26 PM
In the river.

Cuda
03-24-2006, 09:28 PM
Saw some overgrown lizards.

Cuda
03-24-2006, 09:31 PM
Not far beyond this point, we started to encounter timber in the water. I hit something three different times, and told Deb, one more, and we were turning around. Ten yards later, we turned around.

Cuda
03-24-2006, 09:34 PM
When we turned back, we saw both Catch 22's turning around, and Phil Reed. We idled down the river for a while, and never did see or hear them behind us. We figured they changed their minds and pressed on. Deb and I stopped at this park just before coming back through the lock, and waited a while to see if the others were coming.

Cuda
03-24-2006, 09:35 PM
This is the first time I ever saw one of these signs in Florida.

Cuda
03-24-2006, 09:37 PM
We didn't see or hear anybody coming, so we went ahead and locked through by ourselves.

Cuda
03-24-2006, 09:39 PM
Just as we reached the top of the lock, we could hear, and caught a glimpse of some of the others, so we tied off at the park on the other side of the lock to wait for them.

Cuda
03-24-2006, 09:42 PM
They wanted to stop, use the facilities, and have a snack, so we rafted off.

Cuda
03-24-2006, 09:43 PM
Debbie drove all the way back from the locks to the ramp. I thought I got some pictures, and a movie of her hauling ass, but I must not have had the camera set right. It sucks being half blind. :(

Cuda
03-24-2006, 09:46 PM
gcarter had some mechanical issues north of the lock, so Buizilla and Mad Poodle brought him back to the ramp to get his trailer. Russ was towing g's boat back to the ramp by the lock. I hope he gets it fixed for tomorrow.

Cuda
03-24-2006, 09:48 PM
Back safely on the trailer. The boat ran perfectly today. I didn't ding my prop on the wood we hit, but it scratched up the skeg a little. Next time I go up that river, I'll have the wood splitting prop on the boat. :)

Looks like I'll have to go solo tomorrow. Deb has to go to St Pete and pick up Kyle. I'll miss my first mate. :(

RedDog
03-24-2006, 10:21 PM
Not far beyond this point, we started to encounter timber in the water. I hit something three different times, and told Deb, one more, and we were turning around. Ten yards later, we turned around.

Joe - you should have never turned around. You missed Silver Springs River. It was so clear you could see a pebble on the river bottom 30 feet down. We bumped a few things going up river but oddly enough never touched a thing coming back downstream.

gcarter
03-25-2006, 06:30 AM
I have a dual oil filter manifold mounted on the transom. That manifold came loose and ended up jammed behind the seawater strainer and either puntured one of the filters or the filter loosened (we couldn't determine that last night) and we lost enough oil to lose oil pressure. One of those flukes.
We did have a great time in the Silver River. No one suffered any damage to their running gear or props. It's well worth the bother. We had our picnic at the park at Highway 40.
P.S.;
I'm REALLY glad Rus and Buizilla came back for us.

Cuda
03-25-2006, 06:52 AM
G, did you get it fixed for today?

ChromeGorilla
03-25-2006, 07:46 AM
Man....why did I move north.....:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I showed my wife the pics and she said she wiashed we could have gone......

We miss boating with y'all.....

Cuda
03-25-2006, 05:26 PM
We made the lunch run today. I launched by myself at Trimble Park. The north wind had me pinned to the dock, with not enough space to back out. I got an old man to wrap my bowline around a cleat, so I could use it for a spring line to back my stern around. When I got clear, he tried to throw the line to me, and threw it in the water. :( I had to back halfway across the lake so I would have time to climb on the bow and retrieve it. I was thankful for the help though, otherwise, I'd still be sitting there. :)

I ran to Lakeside and met up with the rest. I shanghaid g carter's extra hand from yesterday, and got Red Dog to ride with me. I had two of Last Tango's Porche club friends ride with me to Crazy Gator's. I warned them it might get damp in that back seat with the wind the way it was. I could tell the wife didn't much like that idea, so I took it real easy all the way there, just barely running fast enough to stay on a plane. We made it there and back without getting anyone wet. Her husband, I think his name was Rusty, was a pretty good hand on the boat. He has a 33 Searay, and I could tell the way he made the lines fast, it wasn't his first rodeo. :)

I took about forty pictures, and was taking some more when I saw some writing at the top of my camera screen. It said "No Memory Card". :banghead:

I hope some of the others got pictures. The one I really regret not having, is the picture I took of Poodle's wife, Heidi. She had a hooded jacket and sunglasses on, and I thought she was the Unabomber! :biggrin.:

Cuda
03-25-2006, 05:29 PM
I was happy to see the Wa Lo crew again. They are a couple of the nicest people you'll ever meet. John was having some trouble with the idle on his beast, but at least we got to hear that sweet music from his exhaust. He fired it up as I was leaving Crazy Gator, and the lady in my boat almost jumped out of her seat. :)

boldts
03-26-2006, 08:20 AM
Lookin good down there in FL. You guys can still keep those over grown Lizards though! Wa-Lo is an experience for sure. One I'll never forget! Glad you all had good weather and a great time together. That's what its all about.

sweet 16 1966
03-26-2006, 01:14 PM
Thanks for the picture show and narration Cuda! Had a great time running with you all. Here are a few pics I took of us all mostly on Friday. Only casualty was George's oil filter failure which required a tow. He was up and running for Saturday!

Sorry for not getting many pics on Saturday as the chop was keeping both hands on the wheel. Should have followed Jim and his dad back as I missed the cut through to Lake Harris and missed the park by 1/4 mile before realizing it and turned back. Lake Harris was real rough! 3' chop in the middle coupled with the cold made for an interesting run! Had a great time, thanks to George and Elaine for the houspotality!
I also enjoyed the lunch run on Saturday with Ted from the "Club" and Bradon!
Ted we have determined is surely a trooper! He never complained once and we gave him one hell of a ride! Wonder if he would let me drive his 82 911S?

onesubdrvr
03-26-2006, 01:25 PM
Russ,

Wish I could have been there with y'all, but it looks like as of the middle of the week, I'll be without an operation Donzi. I really wanted to thank you again for bringing my baby home. Hopefully I'll have her up an running for the Angel Aid poker run, just over 2 months isn't alot of time though!

Hope to see 'ya at the poker run, take care
Wayne

Cuda
03-26-2006, 01:28 PM
Russ, I really enoyed watching you drive that 16. I know your hands were much too busy to be taking any pictures! You sure know how to run that boat. I thought you would get beat up Saturday when we first hit the lake, then you went flying by us, skipping on the wave tops. It sure looked like fun! Not so much fun that I'd ride with you, but fun for someone young and imortal like Brandon! :)

Hope to see you again soon. Anytime you want to come down here, and run on the St John's, let us know.

gcarter
03-26-2006, 04:17 PM
Russ is a heck of a nice guy.
Not only will he tow you in, but feed him dinner, give him a place to sleep, and he'll help you fix your boat and clean oil out of your bilge!!:smash: :yippie:
And smile doing it.

catch 22
03-26-2006, 07:40 PM
Hi everyone, We just got home 8:30pm Sunday. We had a great time but I got a feeling that it was my last run up the river and through the lock. I got hung up on the same log that the v-drive did and dinged my GOOD PROP:kaioken: and killed the engine. Thank god it was just flooded. Thanks to Phil and Bob for comming to my rescue but I didn't think I would have to return the favor so soon. Phil engine overheated (sucked up mud) But we both made it out of that godforsaken river under our own power. Thanks again Phil and Bob for your help. Thanks Russ for diving in the bilge of the Minx to help my folks. We have pics of the weekend and will post them sometime tomorrow when I can keep my eyes open. See Ya, Jim

sweet 16 1966
03-26-2006, 08:34 PM
More pics

sweet 16 1966
03-26-2006, 08:47 PM
The above pic of Marks 67-16' V-drive wes the turning point for all but 3 boats. The Minx, 18, and 16 made it about 2 miles up the Silver River (Finally!) so I can say I have been there! We estimated 4 miles more at idle we would have "gone all the way". The clear water was beautiful. We turned around as the going became more difficult.

Check out the third shot--Where's George?

Cuda
03-26-2006, 08:54 PM
Check out the third shot--Where's George?
If I'm not mistaken, he was riding back to the boat ramp in an 18 Limited Edition. :)

J&K SHAHBAS
03-27-2006, 10:11 AM
What a great time and great people, as always. I want to send a special thanks out to Jim/Phil / poodle for helping get Wa LO back to the trailer it
is awsome when you can depend on otherpeople in these situations. The boat has a bad power valve in the front carb and was eating gas big time other than that it was great to see all of you and we hope eveyone got home safely!!! Thanks for all the great pics hope someone got a couple
of us under way. We will probably get to AOTH so see ya soon!!!

Cuda
03-27-2006, 04:06 PM
What a great time and great people, as always. I want to send a special thanks out to Jim/Phil / poodle for helping get Wa LO back to the trailer it
is awsome when you can depend on otherpeople in these situations. The boat has a bad power valve in the front carb and was eating gas big time other than that it was great to see all of you and we hope eveyone got home safely!!! Thanks for all the great pics hope someone got a couple
of us under way. We will probably get to AOTH so see ya soon!!!

Damn John, I wished I knew you needed a power valve, I had four of them in two different ratings in my truck.

catch 22
03-27-2006, 04:11 PM
Here are some pics of Fridays run and Saturday. Thank you Bob for putting together the Crazy Gators lunch. Gina and I had a Great time.

catch 22
03-27-2006, 04:35 PM
More pics...

sweet 16 1966
03-27-2006, 05:56 PM
Tks for the pics Jim! Impressive speed, especially with your lady on board!

sweet 16 1966
03-27-2006, 06:15 PM
A few more pics.

J&K SHAHBAS
03-28-2006, 10:31 AM
Thanks Scott I never am able to get pics while under way. Thanks