PDA

View Full Version : Dear Jack Frost

Schnook
03-24-2006, 12:55 PM
It got down to 29 last night. I had to drain my block again, and probably won't have a chance to go back out till May. Thanks a lot. I hope this is your last hoorah for this year, I'm sure the Brazilians are missing you.
love, Schnook.

Carl C
03-24-2006, 01:02 PM
Yeah, please hit the road, Jack. I just dewinterized my boat, all but guaranteeing Michigan another month of winter.:rolleyes:

dfunde01
03-24-2006, 04:37 PM
How long does the temp need to stay below freezing to damage an engine block. I'm in Atlanta and we rarely are below freezing for more than a few hours at a time.

Dave

hardcrab
03-24-2006, 07:05 PM
How long does the temp need to stay below freezing to damage an engine block. I'm in Atlanta and we rarely are below freezing for more than a few hours at a time.
Dave
you'll never need to worry ...............

Dr. Dan
03-24-2006, 07:18 PM
:banghead: Well in a burst of spontaneous compulsive behavior, I ran down to the Potomac 2 weekends ago when it was knocking on 80 Degrees in the Inner Harbor in Baltimore.

We ran for a few hours, pulled the Boats out and the very next week we were back in the cold reality.

Outside of the heaters and Light Bulbs on a Trouble Light over nite...one method my pals use in the Temperant Zones is to purchase a Heating Blanket and wrap it around the Engine.

I did this I bought a King Size... put an old Army Blanket around the Engine,Headers, Batteries etc. then I carefully wrapped the Heating Blanket over the Engine, I draped another Army Blanket over it to insulate, ran the Trouble Light Extention Cord in the Engine Compartment... and then closed the Cover, being careful not to damage the cord, left it open slighty at the front....

Then to prevent Rain or Snow from causing any unwanted electrical Germlins, I put a Tarp over the entire Engine Cover and sides of hull, I have Dual Thermostatic Controls on the Blanket and I tuck the Controls into the Real Engine Bay Air Cowls. The Full Mooring Cover goes over the Tarp and holds everything in place... very slick.

The Timer shuts it down every 10 hours, but it keeps it nice and toasty, no danger of fire or a burnt bulb...and I reset it as needed before bed to carry it through the night. Pretty Safe...its designed to Sleep Under so it outta be fine for the "Blue Pill".

My friends have done this for over 5 years and never had an issue... for the record I do Winterize the Boat, I just popped the cork a little early this Season...

Anyways...just sharing some ideas.

Doc of Thermal Mechanics :biggrin.:

Patti
03-24-2006, 07:21 PM
I thought it was Spring.
It's snowing here.
Go away Jack :p