PDA

View Full Version : Transformers & Safty

MOP
03-22-2006, 10:13 AM
I have two Square D KVA 73t's in a not to big closet, they make a lot of heat. A few weeks ago to my amazement the fire marshal isisted that the ceiling be closed off. To me that was nuts and looking for a fire, never the less we complied. When finished I left the door closed for 20 minutes as a test, 125 degrees in 20 minutes, it is a disruptive leaving the door the hum can be heard well into the office space. I am looking for written info on the venting safty to show the fire marshal so the ceiling can be opened up again. I think if inadvertantly left closed for a weekend a problem may arise.

Phil

Rootsy
03-22-2006, 10:20 AM
every electrical panel i've ever had made for any machien i've ever built, that had a transformer or power supply and PLC inside.. has had an air conditioner... a closet is the same as an enclosed electrical panel.. cept it's better insulated...

having the ceiling open is like not having a fire block in the wall...

Woodsy
03-22-2006, 10:27 AM
MOP...

You should be able to mount a blower on the ceiling to provide air circulation. There are SST vents you can buy to put on the door as well.

125 Degrees F is nothing as far as temps go... especially for a X-FMR. Do a test over a 2hour period at peak usage... that will give you a baseline. Just about every X-FMR has an overtemp shutoff.

The Fire Marshall is right on about the X-FMRS having to be enclosed....

Woodsy

MOP
03-22-2006, 12:02 PM
Thanks I really appreciate the input, I feel more comfortable now I will get a fan the ceiling and louvers for the door.

Phil

Schnook
03-22-2006, 02:31 PM
Woodsy's right, 125F is nothing. The xfrmr should have a nameplate with a lot of info on it, including the temperature rating. I wouldn't go toe to toe with the fire marshall too much, though - if he decides to he can make life with your xfrmrs difficult at the least....