PDA

View Full Version : The 509 Lives

Jamesbon
03-21-2006, 08:21 PM
Okay Poodle, I had a chance to get the engine running on a stand last week. Installed a mechanical oil pressure gauge, numerous water hoses, set the distributor to "point" to # 1, checked and double checked the oil, wired up the electric fuel pump, starter and T-Bolt IV ignition....then had a beer and prayed for the best. At this point, my hands were shaking with adrenaline and my mind was going a hundred miles an hour. With that said, everything was wired to the old "key" ignition switch. With one click of the key, the old Holley pump came to life and I checked the float levels and inspected for leaks. No leaks, so I took a deep breath and turned the key one more click. She started spinning over and after a few revs, I heard a "BIG POP" from the exhaust accompanied with a big puff of white smoke. (the pre lube burning) I let go of the key for a moment and read the oil PSI gauge only to see 50+ LBS still there, so I cranked her again while moving the distributor.....low and behold, she fired off....and in a big way. At this point, I'm freaking out, trying to watch the water flow, fumbling with the timing light and making sure AVGAS isn't spewing out all over everything. ...after a moment, I realized everything was working as it should be, so I focused on the timing and set her as close as I could at 30 degrees fully advanced. She has a full roller cam, so break in isn't as critical as a hyd. flat tappet. Once set around 30 degrees, I backed the idle down to what I thought was reasonable and set the 4 corner idle screws. Holy ****, I got what I wanted, a completely radical idle that flattens your shirt when standing six feet behind the dry 5" tail pipes. :D

If you crack the throttle open from idle she hesitates a bit, then spins up like a dragster. From my experience with my old drag car, I learned that installing a bigger squirter takes care of the hesitation, so that's on the books for the next trip. All in all, I was happy.

If T-Mobile gets off their ass and fixes ":My Album," I'll post pics. ...Yes, I have pics of her breathing.

Anyway, just thought I'd share my thoughts.....Hope you enjoy....

Cuda
03-21-2006, 08:37 PM
Sounds like you're really moving along now. When's the drop in date?

Jamesbon
03-21-2006, 08:50 PM
Can't put a date on it....already did that and failed the last 3 years. At that rate, Poodle will own my home in a couple more years ;) (ongoing bet...)

I'm doing the best I can. With a full time job selling boats, real estate on the side, keeping the other 2 boats running and everything else life throws at you...I can only hope for the best. I'd like to see it done in time to use it this summer....but who knows.

pmreed
03-21-2006, 09:16 PM
Way to go Nate...I'm really looking forward to seeing your beast in the water.

Phil

MOP
03-21-2006, 09:17 PM
Excellent!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know the hairs were up on the back of your neck, it happens to us all. Nothing like frying off a new mill and going through the "Frantics" I do have to say Damn it is about time!! Best of luck with it, don't look back that will be my Beast fading away!

MOP

Team Hula Girl
03-21-2006, 09:21 PM
O hell yeah, thanks for the update. Hopefully we will see that thing at shell island some time in the next ten years? Congrats on the motor. call me when you get the chance and I will give you some updates on my end.

J Mitch

Donzigo
03-22-2006, 07:02 AM
Nice going Nate..................here's another thing that keeps Nate busy. "The chicks of Shell Island" rule............oh yeah!

Jamesbon
03-22-2006, 08:22 AM
Tx for the input fellas. Here's a couple pics of her breaking in.

Richard! Awesome pics bro, I just printed them up and posted on my office wall. Thanks man!!!

MOP
03-22-2006, 11:55 AM
Nate the neighbors must love when you crack the throttle!

Jamesbon
03-22-2006, 12:58 PM
If they're anything like me, they do ;)

LKSD
03-23-2006, 08:01 AM
Thats a Manly engine!! :) :) Looks like it will scream!.. J