PDA

View Full Version : In regards to Wes's Dad's Cycle accident, one of mine...

Lenny
03-21-2006, 06:57 PM
Just got back from Glamis, (22 miles north of Mexico Border in Cali and a "fun" 4 days of ATV and sand rail riding.

Anyways, it was insane $hit, huge power, rails etc, big blocks, blowers, turbos, anything, you name it. I was "camping" (if a Diesel Pusher and 100's more like it counts as camping) in a group of about 50 Class A's at the end "campground" "Roadrunner". Well the dessert and the dunes were unbelievable, again, something I have NEVER seeen the likes of.

So, I get there, meet up with the crowd, introductions etc, and get on a Yammy nut-bar high perf ATV. I run around in it for about 10 minutes getting used to the power, turns, and the wheels coming up when I hit the throttle etc :eek: The gang at the campsite suggests I go with "Jeff" a fella accustomed to the area and have him show me a few things and basically the ropes of where NOT to be. We take off, running about 30-40 along a nice wide sandy (beyond sandy) road. (It is like dust it is soo fine.) The grade was basically up/down swells (for lack of a better word) spaced about 50 feet apart for considerable distance. He (Jeff) is ahead of me, obviously able to run his machine far better than I but I try to keep up, about 300-400' back.

Everything goes fine, I get better at flying the thing and landing "properly" as I thought fit, and try to catch up to him to wait for a minute as I have to move some personal aspects around a bit, one being my Passport all but flying out of a pocket and being lost in the dessert forever. :rolleyes:

He is far ahead and going over swell (dune) to swell and I follow suit. Over the next one, (and I am fully aware that there are MANY 200' mountains of sand here and vertical faces on the unseen side) and this is just another 4' high slow mound, I get about the kind of air you would get doing 30-40 on a swell, I am travelling about that speed, probably launch about 3' vertically only to find that the "landing" spot on the other side DOES NOT EXIST. It is probably no less than 50-60 feet straight DOWN, as in cliff. Having my live do that 15 minutes to die thing, all the memories, and the prolonged point of contact that happens when you are basically done, I see my "guide" ahead of me, at the bottom, to the right of his machine, face down in the sand and all bent and twisted. Not his ATV, him...

With the same tradgectory (sp) as him I plummet straight down however fast 450 pounds falls at with the added speed I started with, and pile into the back of his machine.

All I remember is waking in the sand, and slowly coming back on line, finding my arms, feet, head (blood pouring over my eyebrows into my face) and legs and trying to move them. Helmet still on, all I can remember is the crunching sounds and in general "sounds" you know you should not hear.

Freaked out of my mind, I get up and see "Jeff" face down in the sand, blood streaming out of mouth into the sand and all bent up. Doing the ABC's of first aid, I see no blood pooling in his socks/legs/arms etc, ears whatever, but with screaming the "Can you hear me's" etc there was NOTHING. Nor could I notice any breathing, not a sound...

Looking up, it was apparent I was in the bottom of a "snow cone" cup and it was vertical on one side (half of the circle) and close on the other. Later I learn that these are called "Witches Eyes" :eek:

I try to climb up to get help but can not even move forward on one side without falling back in. Then I try to tackle the other side with its' lesser grade. With all of the ATV parts laying around at the bottom of the hole I grab the Flag and staff that was now laying on the ground and climb my way out to the top of the other side. (a 5 minute ordeal at least, all the time looking back at this lifeless body in the hole) Did I mention his helmet was broken in half :(

To be continued once I get home.

onesubdrvr
03-21-2006, 07:22 PM
Lenny,

As allways, we are sorry to hear of the loss of human life,

but we are also VERY thankful you are OK. I'm sure this is a time that will stick in your mind forever.

Our Best,
Wayne, Cari, Heather, Rebecca, Sydney & Riley

MOP
03-21-2006, 07:26 PM
Sure am glad you came away OK, seems like we get hurt the most when at "Play" I hope your freind faired well. Will be watching for the rest of the story.

Phil

BUIZILLA
03-21-2006, 07:48 PM
i've got goosebumps....:boggled:

boxy
03-21-2006, 07:49 PM
Damn Lenny, I hope everything turned out okay......

Rootsy
03-21-2006, 07:58 PM
Lenny,

there are no words when you are in situations like this... and the aftershock is long lasting... been there, done that, cept at the end of a quarter mile in northern maryland...

JR

SideshowRob
03-21-2006, 09:15 PM
Wow! I did not see that coming. Truely a trip that will not be forgotten. I hope you are doing alright.

thriller
03-21-2006, 10:31 PM
Holy Chit:shocking:

Walt. H.
03-22-2006, 12:47 AM
God Speed,
I'm listening and holding my breathe but afraid of hearing part two of the story's episode..:crossfing

Lenny
03-22-2006, 01:23 AM
...so I get (after a long while of clawing) to the "cusp" of the other side of the hole that was NOT vertical, with my flag and enough adrenalin to feed every Junkie in the USA for year. I stand up, start screaming and waving my flag (10' staff) at the top of my Lungs to anything and everything around.

...to no avail... I see literally HUNDREDS of rails, Motocross, ATV's etc, everywhere,... but my voice was drowned out by the roar of a 40 mph wind that did not gust EVER, but was just 40 mph all day (and for all of them actually) and stirred up a 2' high brown Fog all across the entire Dessert that was visible. No matter what I screamed, how I waved, how close they were,.. there was no one. Period. No one that would notice me. Believe me, at this point they (rescuers) did not know I was a Canadian and would have been very eager to help had they even seen me. I made a HUGE scene. :(

To the distance, about 3 miles or so, I could see all the Diesel Pushers and such and the campground at the end of Imperial Sand Dunes, but it was soo hopeless, it was,... hopeless. Frustrating and freakshow was not even close to describing it. I bailed on this idea as I was a few vertical falls away from being back to the victim and my standing on the ridge sreaming into the wind and sand wisps was just adding insult to injury. I though the least I could do was comfort my "guide" and be by him or at least bring closure on my actions in regards to this, by being with him. I went back down into the "vertical hole" and joined him, now with his face by his shoulder, as I moved it, (begrudgingly from a First Aid standpoint) so as not allow him to suffocate in his own blood pool that was not going anywhere in the sand.) :(

With no communication (as few do), no EPIRB device, no signalling, nothing, I thought it best to be with him. My ATV was $ucked, rad, cowling, front end, the works, as well as the rear, so obviously it did an endo after the crash, came around and destroyed the rear as well, but missed crushing me on the ground as I must have been thrown clear.

Seriously, tears and all, the "what if's" , all that, I heard a moan and choking cough. I thought he was dead. Busted helmets mean bad things.

After screaming more into his ear, "Can you hear me" etc, he became minimally coherant. Minimally.

Man, "did I $uck up" he said. "Where is the other guy?" Now I am freaking worse, "What other guy". This went nowhere, and I had to assume it was me, as there was nowhere else for another in the bottom of this 50-60' hole.

All I remember is "Big Air" he said. Got that right, all I remember is AIR, more than I would want skydiving. :eek:

Then the "Man, I am soo $ucked up..." My replies, "we have to get you out of here, we need to get someone,... NOW"

Followed by, "I can't,..." then back into shock (continued) and passed out. :(

All I think about is 26 years of First Aid Responder training twice a year and I know this is BAD $hit...

How do I get him out of here?

Over the next 1/2 hour, blood EVERYWHERE, body parts like a twisty doll that my 9 year old would have played with, (Oh, did I say I went to Disneyland for the first time with my 9 year old daughter on this trip at the beginning of this and it was her first Jet ride, Country hop, new world experience?... ) forgot that... :rolleyes:

I have no idea how long it took, but I got him to sit on his ATV, believe it or not, and got him to ride up the 45+ degree side of the inner dune to the cusp where I said I would join him and run him back to get help ASAP. Two of us could not (actually DO NOT) work on an ATV but that ws all that was going to help us. I send him, (he is just $ucked) into the general direction of the top of the cusp of the lesser angle side of the dune with hopes he makes it. My plan was to climb out, after several minutes, join him and get him Medi-Vac'ed by the patrol at the end on the road. (used to deaths and serious injury it turns out. :eek: )

I crawled out, left the (my Yammy) ATV behind and climbed out.

He left, apparently, and drove out into the dessert, bleeding from everywhere, profusely.

Next disaster in the making, a guy, soo $ucked up, in shock, running on god knows what, broken helmet, into the dessert, where by day, you would overheat (yes still here), and by night, at zero to offer you hypothermia as a nice sleeping arragement :(

...More to come...

I am not even sure I am typing this still or if this is a dream and I am actually dead...

Seriously, unbelievable, and seriously, I am unsure...

RickSE
03-25-2006, 04:28 PM
I lost a college friend to a head on ATV accident in the Mexico sand many years ago. I never went back after that trip.

Good luck Lenny, hoping for a good outcome.