PDA

View Full Version : Driveshowers for King Cobra

Barry Eller
03-21-2006, 10:07 AM
I see a lot of driveshowers for Mercruiser drives,Bravos and Alphas. Does anyone know of a driveshower for the OMC King Cobra or Volvo drives? Do they need a shower. Is the hump on the drive for heat dissipation?

joel3078
03-21-2006, 10:32 AM
Here is some chatter from trailer boats website regarding this subject.

http://boards.trailerboats.com/cgi-bin/trailerboats/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=000096

It appears that the Volvo SX and OMC King Cobra run cooler than the Merc Alpha or Bravo. I have not heard of anyone putting a drive shower on a King Cobra. Anyone else?

The hump on the top of these drives is for larger gear set and a cone clutch vs. a dog clutch. Has nothing to do with cooling. The OMC King Cobra with the hump was a joint project between Volvo and OMC and is good for about 600HP. I run Amsoil pure synthetic in mine. The guys here that have a KC drive love em from what I read.

BUIZILLA
03-21-2006, 10:41 AM
The Cobra has the high mount rear water pump, and it is ported around the upper gear area, so it tends to dissipate any heat very well.

JH

Greg K
03-21-2006, 12:09 PM
And with the amount of gear oil these things hold, it's not necessary.

Dr. Dan
03-21-2006, 12:11 PM
:wavey: I have never had any heat related Drive Issues with my King Cobra, even now when I am running the HP500 EFI connected to the King Cobra, we removed the Pump from the Drive, and we use the Standard Merc Pump on the Motor, the King functions as a very large Bravo.... and again I have not had any issues.

No Calcification, No White Spots, No Nothing...just an awesome running Drive that pushes my 22 Classic as fast as I am willing to take it.

Now I do get the paint peal down by the Prop....and some Random other areas...but it's not heat related.

Last year I experimented with the Turbo TXP Prop with a "Flow Torque Hub Kit" and it has been awesome, the Mid Range is just Silly Stupid...:D makes ya smile everytime.

With my standard power (454) I ran a 23 Turbo 3 Blade, now I am up to the 25, and it scratches the sweet spot. Keep in mind these have a 1:43 Ratio, so it's a tad different than the Bravos...

Now if we just had some simple Bolt On Hydraulic Steering....

Doc of Conspicuous Fuel Consumption:spongebob

Barry Eller
03-21-2006, 02:18 PM
Thanks for the information. Greg K, did you get my PM? Dr. Dan, I have a 15"x23" Hydromotive 4 blade, and a 141/2"x25" Ballistic 3 blade. The 3 blade is much faster to top, 5050 RPM's. The 4 blade Hydro turns same, 5050 RPM's. Is the OMC ignition module have a rev limiter at that RPM or do you think it is a coincidence?
The Hydro prop is a stern lifting prop, handles very good in the rough stuff, doesn't "air out" like a bow lifting prop. Its like having the tabs down, without really having them down. Runs with a flatter attitude. Slower, but much more stable at 70MPH in very rough water!!