PDA

View Full Version : mounting flush mount compass.

joseph m. hahnl
03-20-2006, 03:55 PM
when things warm up a bit I want to start drilling holes for accessories.
I mocked up the location of the Ritchie Super Sport compass.
I see a few issues.
1] the top of the dash is radiused so i need to mount it on center. I would prefer behind and inline to the steering wheel, but this would require some sort of angled base addapter.
2] As This is going in a Minx the windshield is in the way for drilling from the top. I was wondering if I can drill it out from under the dash so I won't have to remove the windshield.

Any and all input would be appriciated

joe

MOP
03-20-2006, 04:36 PM
Drilling from the bottom can be tricky, do a lot of looking before you start. Do a 3-4 layer masking tape on the dash, this will help to keep the edges from chipping to bad from the hole saw. I have found using fine tooth ones make for cleaner holes and does less damage but they die after a few FG cuts. Borrow an angle drill and drill a pilot hole from the top, then check to make sure you will still have any problems. "Disconnect the Battery"!!! I the hole saw jerk and get into the wiring can be a bad scene, also cut slowly and wear good face/eye protection it will be NASTY down there!

Phil

joseph m. hahnl
03-20-2006, 05:13 PM
Drilling from the bottom can be tricky, do a lot of looking before you start. Do a 3-4 layer masking tape on the dash, this will help to keep the edges from chipping to bad from the hole saw. I have found using fine tooth ones make for cleaner holes and does less damage but they die after a few FG cuts. Borrow an angle drill and drill a pilot hole from the top, then check to make sure you will still have any problems. "Disconnect the Battery"!!! I the hole saw jerk and get into the wiring can be a bad scene, also cut slowly and wear good face/eye protection it will be NASTY down there!
Phil

thanks Phil: DO you think I could use the angle drill from the top to do the "HOLE" thing. You are talking about a 90 degree drill?

joe

MOP
03-20-2006, 08:50 PM
thanks Phil: DO you think I could use the angle drill from the top to do the "HOLE" thing. You are talking about a 90 degree drill?
joe

Joe that is the idea to drill a pilot from the top with a 90, but do a lot of looking and rechecking where you think it should go and what will clear what. When you cut the saw will come through the radius unevenly that is when it will try to bind and jump. I cut very slow with light but have the drill at WOT, try to get hold of a fine tooth they are a ton safer on uneven surfaces and cut way cleaner. If you like PM me your number some times things are clearer if you chat.

Phil

John W
03-21-2006, 08:12 AM
Lennox makes a carbide holesaw, i think for cutting tile, that would work great on fiberglass.
JW

Woodsy
03-21-2006, 09:29 AM
Joe...

Why would you want to cut a hole for a compass?? Go with a GPS that takes a C-map chip.

But if you must cut a hole, Use several layers of Duct Tape. Masking tape won't cut it. Drill a pilot hole with 90 Degree drill. When you start the main hole, run the hole saw in reverse until you get thru the gel coat. Then you can start spinning the hole saw in forward to cut thru the glass. Its soundds like a pain, but its pretty simple and I haven't had a hole chip yet!

Woodsy

MOP
03-21-2006, 06:24 PM
Dave he will be cutting the hole from the bottom up cutting the gel as he comes up through it. I tried duct tape a few times in a pinch it is not half as good as several layers of regular (not the blue) masking tape, the glue is to soft and it winds up wound into the saw.

Phil

Cuda
03-21-2006, 06:41 PM
I wouldn't mount a compass. You don't really need one, unless you run offshore, out of site of land. Carry a pocket compass in your boat bag. Unfortunatley, our 22 already has one cut in, otherwise I wouldn't have one. On our kinds of boats, less is more. The only thing that looks worse is a big hideous square gps mounted in the boat.

Woodsy
03-22-2006, 08:28 AM
Phil...

If he cuts from the bottom, the gel will chip as he breaks thru... He needs to cut from the gel to the glass... Hard to soft to avoid any chipping!

A small GPS like STD Horizon CP150C will fit nicely under the windshield. Just a couple of small holes to drill for wiring and mounting.

Woodsy

joseph m. hahnl
03-23-2006, 05:52 PM
Phil...
If he cuts from the bottom, the gel will chip as he breaks thru... He needs to cut from the gel to the glass... Hard to soft to avoid any chipping!
A small GPS like STD Horizon CP150C will fit nicely under the windshield. Just a couple of small holes to drill for wiring and mounting.
Woodsy

TOO LATE. Ive allready purchased the compass. I need it for navigating rock markers. any way I am mounting the compass in the center of the dash.
Phil,Woodsy: I don't have to drill from the bottom. If the 90 degree will work with the 4" hole saw.

Cuda:A compass in my opinion enhaces the look of any boat.Kind of like a diomond ring on your girl.

I appriciate every ones input . very helpful hints
So the main question is can i drill the hole with the right angle drill?

If not then i will need to come thru from the bottom side.

joe.

joseph m. hahnl
04-02-2006, 06:52 PM
Once again success. Thanks again for all the input. It was a piece of cake. drilled a 4" hole and all the mounting hole from up under the dash.I used the duct tape. and there was absolutly no chipping whats so ever. I took my time and let the saw do all the work with out forcing it thru. The compass looks great.

joe

glashole
05-16-2006, 09:14 AM
do you have any pictures of the final product?

regards

Shea