PDA

View Full Version : Need muffler tip advice (lowering decibels)??

yellow8teen
03-20-2006, 12:35 PM
All,
I’ve searched the site and found some great leads.

Is there any brand/type of bolt on exhaust tip that you recommend over others to reduce the decibels?

It’s an 86 18 with 260 v8. I love the throaty v8--just want it little quieter so not to invite any noise police.

Thanks in advance.

Dan

Rootsy
03-20-2006, 12:42 PM
the corsa coffee cans that come on the new(er) classics do a very good job of quieting things down... you can find em on ebay for reasonable prices... or once in a while someone around here will have a set ot get rid of cause they want to be "louder"

yellow8teen
03-20-2006, 12:48 PM
Thanks very much--I'll check them out.

Dan

RedDog
03-20-2006, 02:01 PM
or try this - http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?p=365135#post365135
:sombrero:

The Hedgehog
03-20-2006, 02:12 PM
the corsa coffee cans that come on the new(er) classics do a very good job of quieting things down... you can find em on ebay for reasonable prices... or once in a while someone around here will have a set ot get rid of cause they want to be "louder"
I went louder. I am hoping that the noise police will hold off a while down here. I would not mind unloading the corsa cans. Shoot me a pm if you are interested in buying them.

joseph m. hahnl
03-20-2006, 03:20 PM
All,
I’ve searched the site and found some great leads.
Is there any brand/type of bolt on exhaust tip that you recommend over others to reduce the decibels?
It’s an 86 18 with 260 v8. I love the throaty v8--just want it little quieter so not to invite any noise police.
Thanks in advance.
Dan

Theses are what I have: Corsa my Arse!!http://www.gibsonperformance.com/products.asp?pid=23031

joe

MOP
03-20-2006, 09:42 PM
Switchable is the nice way to go but here in NY they are illegal, some creeps do enforce it. I went with Gil slip ons much like the Gibsons both do a very good job but still have good sound. I found the Gil's on Ebay for half the price of new.

Phil

yellow8teen
03-21-2006, 08:19 AM
Again, thanks to all for the great advice.

You've given me a bunch of options.

best,
Dan

yellow8teen
03-21-2006, 10:38 AM
Along with the tip option, does anybody have any experience with in-line silencers?

They clamp between the exhaust hose before exiting the transom and appear to lower the decibels more than tips while retaining the stock look of the transom.

Are they reliable?
Any disadvantages?

Thanks for any insight.

Dan

Greg
03-21-2006, 05:32 PM
Hey Dan, I have a set of slip in silencers. I think Eddie Marine of Gil has them. I put mine in and it was a little too quiet, so I had a hole cut out in the center baffle. Don't go much larger than 1" on the hole though. Takes the bark out, but still has some snap. Good luck to you. Greg

joseph m. hahnl
03-23-2006, 06:00 PM
Along with the tip option, does anybody have any experience with in-line silencers?
They clamp between the exhaust hose before exiting the transom and appear to lower the decibels more than tips while retaining the stock look of the transom.
Are they reliable?
Any disadvantages?
Thanks for any insight.
Dan

Dapars? I bought a pair I am installing them as soon as it gets warm out.
Randy,(AKA Golden Rod) has installed them and said they work well.
They have a pie shape insert that helps retain water in the fiberglass tube.
However they do appear to be restrictive. When I test mine i can give the stats on speed and rpm if there is loss or gain

joe

yellow8teen
03-24-2006, 07:14 AM
Joe,
Are in-line silencers also known as "dapars?"

Here is a link to a picture from Rex Marine (disclosure: I have no financial or other connection to Rex Marine):

http://shopping.rexmar.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=161101&Category_Code=silencers-inline-insert

Any info on your set up after its installed would be helpful--thanks
best,
Dan

joseph m. hahnl
03-24-2006, 04:20 PM
Joe,
Are in-line silencers also known as "dapars?"
Any info on your set up after its installed would be helpful--thanks
best,
Dan

these are daparshttp://i-netmarine.com/mufflers/dapars_for_the_quieter_ride.htm

Greg
03-24-2006, 06:36 PM
Eddiemarine.com Double X slip in silencers. Part # 102-07. Got a pair and they work great and for a reasonable price. If they are too quiet drill out the center a little bit.

joseph m. hahnl
03-25-2006, 09:26 AM
There is a lot of choice in noise reduction. The thing to think about is what you want the sound level to be .For compliance of sound laws or for fatigue and comunication. you need to have a starting point. The Gibson will conform any exhaust to 88db .For my year Minxs the law is 86db.Technically Even with the Mufflers I'm out of compliance. It's still to loud for the lake association I got 15 complaints in one day. Thats a lot of pontooners pissed off at yah:biggrin:
The Dapars will Decrease the db's up to 82% of the noise level . I could get the db's down to 16db . They apear to be a little constrictive but as long as I can keep the prop turning at 4800 rpm. I will not have lost antything but unwanted noise.
The box has a picture of a 22 aired out on plane.Soon to be my Minxs:beer:

joe

MOP
03-25-2006, 04:41 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SET-OF-NEW-GIL-EXHAUST-TIPS-FOUR-INCH_W0QQitemZ4623561405QQcategoryZ50442QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem