PDA

View Full Version : 22 Classic test in Speedboat mag.

Carl C
03-20-2006, 07:25 AM
Magazine reviews of Donzi Classics are few and far between. Just thought I'd post this article from Speedboat 2005 magazine for those who may have missed it.

Pismo
03-20-2006, 07:59 AM
They like the Advantage the best....mmm......70.6mph with an HO, who was driving???

Carl C
03-20-2006, 08:22 AM
They like the Advantage the best....mmm......70.6mph with an HO, who was driving??? Exactly.......and @ 5,000 RPM. The photo is a little dated too with the stainless windshield and center fuel fill.

Ranman
03-20-2006, 08:33 AM
Wasn't the 70.6mph clocked with the 375hp non-HO flavor?

boxy
03-20-2006, 09:30 AM
Exactly.......and @ 5,000 RPM. The photo is a little dated too with the stainless windshield and center fuel fill.

Don't you mean the photo is correct with the SS windshield and the center fuel fill .... :D :D

Carl C
03-20-2006, 09:35 AM
Wasn't the 70.6mph clocked with the 375hp non-HO flavor? The spec sheet on the last page says that the Donzi test boat was powered with the 496 HO and price as tested was $55,979. If the photos are of the actual test boat then they pulled a fast one because that is an older model. I suspect that they really tested a 502 boat.

gcarter
03-20-2006, 10:01 AM
This is one of the comparison tests I commented on recently that said 22C's roll up on their sides at low speed. That statement appears twice in the article.

Carl C
03-20-2006, 10:35 AM
George, I saw your post on that and the disagreement but they do roll at slow speeds. Last year was my first with a Donzi and I got out of shape badly twice while turning at slow speed and into a wave. The second time it happened I smacked the port side of the bow so hard I was afraid I may have cracked it. These boats definately take time to learn to drive safely. The rolling and sharp banking is one of the things I love about these boats but you must be careful.

Last Tango
03-20-2006, 11:49 AM
Picture posted in the magazine is a reprint straight out of the Donzi catalog from a couple years ago.
I'm pretty sure Speedboat didn't hire a helicopter and the same model and driver just for this test.
No, it was NOT a 502. Yes, it was a 496 Mag HO.

undertaker
03-20-2006, 12:28 PM
Same pic is in this years Donzi catalog:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Ranman
03-20-2006, 12:45 PM
Anyone else notice that the Donzi is by far the heaviest at 3400lbs? It may hurt the top end a tad by comparison, but I bet that along with the deep V it crushes the waves way better than the other 3.

gold-n-rod
03-20-2006, 05:22 PM
What a bunch of idiots!!! King of Cool to a non-Donzi? Bull****. All they do is blabber on and on about storage space and wakeboards and swim platforms (or lack thereof).

These are not family boats, people. Don't buy a Classic if you are looking for ski lockers or ease of boarding. By their own admission, it gets the looks, hands down.

This is like comparing a Z06 to a Mustang, a Camaro and a Mitsu Sypder and then not picking the Z06 as cool because it doesn't have a back seat and enough cupholders.

It's OK with me if the Classic remains a closet King of Cool.

:wavey:

joseph m. hahnl
03-20-2006, 05:37 PM
overall the advantage was. WHAT? A HEllO it was 10 MPH slower. There is one thing and only one thing that will get you in a fight at the ramp. That is the jelousy of when your boat is faster and you go blowing buy some guy in his Advantage,That is really what counts how fast it goes. Now If you look at the stats Who really cares about all that stuff.

If you notice the guy in the Donzi is the only one with a Babe in the boat.
and my what a set of teeth she has on that smile.:biggrin: Thats what it's all about is'nt it. "THE CHICS" . man i'm such a dog

joe

Rootsy
03-21-2006, 06:44 AM
no ski locker? what the hell do you call that worthless tunnel under the dashboard? a pair of skiis and maybe a couple of life jackets and a paddle are about the ONLY things that'll fit up there and actually stay put...

Donzi REALLY REALLY REALLY needs to add the lip (like the 18 and 22 have) to the rear of that compartment in a 16 so everything in the 16 doesn't slide to the back seat when getting on plane...

Ranman
03-21-2006, 08:51 AM
overall the advantage was. WHAT? A HEllO it was 10 MPH slower. There is one thing and only one thing that will get you in a fight at the ramp. That is the jelousy of when your boat is faster and you go blowing buy some guy in his Advantage,That is really what counts how fast it goes.

Yeah, it goes something like this...

"Man! Your Advantage must be really fast, cause you were haulin' ass when I passed you!" :biggrin: :biggrin: