PDA

View Full Version : Deland to Porkey's

Cuda
03-19-2006, 08:16 PM
We put the 22 in at Ed Stone Park at Hwy 44, and ran north through Astor, out into Lake George, and north to Porkey's. The weather was perfect, and the boat was humming merrily along. We got to Porkey's and tied up to eat lunch. It was just so perfect! I was sitting outside on the deck, soaking up the weather, and listening to good music from the lounge. I was sure it can't get any better than this! The trouble started when we got ready to leave. I started the boat, and it was idling rough, as it has tended to do after running a while. I goosed it a bit in reverse to keep it running good, I thought I hit something on the bottom, and killed the engine. I could not get it started again. A couple times if sounded like it might start, but it didn't. Of course, the only tool I had onboard was a stubby screwdriver I use to adjust the idle. I took the distributor cap off, had Deb turn it over, and I didn't see any spark across the points. Then I made sure the points were closed, and broke them with the screwdriver. Most of the time, it had no spark across the points, but once in a while, I'd get a real weak spark. I decided we weren't going to get it started, so I made sure I lifted the drive before I ran out of battery. We borrowed two paddles froma guy in an airboat, and paddled it over to the dock by the ramp. We barely had any phone signal there, but we finally got in touch with my neigbor, gave him directions, and he said he'd come get me, and take me back to our truck in Deland, while Debbie stayed with the boat. The sun was just setting as we got the boat on the trailer. Debbie got a shrimp dinner to go, and we headed home.

Even though we broke down, it was an enjoyable day, I can't think of a better spot to be broke down! :)

The bad thing is, just yesterday, I was going to put the electronic distributor, new coil, and wires in, but I decided to wait until after Mt Dora, just in case. I guess I'll change them tomorrow.

Cuda
03-19-2006, 08:19 PM
I forgot the obligatory sunset shot. :)

Cuda
03-19-2006, 08:28 PM
A couple of videos.

Click here to watch Porkeys (http://media.putfile.com/Porkeys)

Click here to watch Porkeys-2 (http://media.putfile.com/Porkeys-2)

boldts
03-20-2006, 04:48 AM
Cuda, sounds like what happened with my 22 at AOTH. Put a new coil in her and all will be well again. At least mine was. Nothing like a relaxing day on the water. Just a bit nippy here still with a high in the 40s...... Go ahead all you FL guys. Rub it in about your 12 month boating season. :biggrin: