PDA

View Full Version : Michigan lakes

Carl C
03-19-2006, 06:25 PM
Our lakes are thawed already!:smile: This is the earliest I remember this happening. I'm gonna dewinterize the boat next week and get ready for that first warm day that's gonna come soon. That'll be awesome if our boating season starts in March.:boat:

blackhawk
03-19-2006, 06:33 PM
Our lakes are thawed already!:smile: This is the earliest I remember this happening. I'm gonna dewinterize the boat next week and get ready for that first warm day that's gonna come soon. That'll be awesome if our boating season starts in March.:boat:

Our local lakes are still frozen. In fact they had snowmobile races on them yesterday. :(

But, I can tell you that I will be one of the first ones out there when they do thaw. I might be in a snowsuit, mittens and a facemask but I'll be out there! :D

Tony
03-19-2006, 06:49 PM
blackhawk...where in MI are you located?

gold-n-rod
03-19-2006, 07:03 PM
'Hawk's in Cadillac.

Hey, 'Hawk: When I drove past the lakes on Saturday am, I couldn't help but notice that Lake Cadillac was virtually empty, not a scoot nor fisher in sight.

Then, when I passed Mitchell, I saw the races going on. Were you racin'?

blackhawk
03-19-2006, 07:37 PM
'Hawk's in Cadillac.
Hey, 'Hawk: When I drove past the lakes on Saturday am, I couldn't help but notice that Lake Cadillac was virtually empty, not a scoot nor fisher in sight.
Then, when I passed Mitchell, I saw the races going on. Were you racin'?

Yeah, I think the ice shanties(sp?) have to be off by March 15th so the lakes look empty.

No, I sold my "play sled" last year so I wasn't racing but a friend of mine was down there. I drove by and saw all the sleds so I called him. He said there was some seriously fast iron down there! :D

blackhawk
03-19-2006, 07:39 PM
blackhawk...where in MI are you located?

Tony, as gold-n-rod said I'm in Cadillac. I noticed today that the edges are starting to thaw! :D

Magicallbill
03-20-2006, 01:56 AM
Blackhawk;
I spent several summers in the early 70's on Portage Lake&worked at Onekama Marine the summer of '75.
In '72, I got my first ride in a Ski Sporter,beginning a fascination with Donzi's that I have to this day.
It's as neat as it gets up there.I wish the season was a little longer..
MB

Rootsy
03-20-2006, 06:11 AM
Bill,

which Portage lake?

Magicallbill
03-21-2006, 12:57 AM
Bill,
which Portage lake?

Jamie;
It's approx. 8 to 10 miles North of Manistee. 18 miles South of Frankfort.

It also has the distinction of being the only harbor on the West Coast besides Charlevoix that does not have the tannic/brown water.

MB

Tony
03-21-2006, 06:53 AM
Are you guys familiar with the Bay Harbor develpoment? Just south of Petoskey, where they dynamited the shoreline to let Lake Michigan fill up a great big gravel pit, then built a massive upscale community surrounding the man-made harbor. Multi-million dollar homes, condos, golf courses, Tim Allen, Madonna, yada-yada, etc., etc.

Anyway, although it has not been too widely publicized, there is some serious ongoing litigation. Apparently it involves toxicity, and the players are all scrambling around to cover their arses and point fingers at each other. Good thing I didn't swim as I cruised the harbor last year, and a damn good thing my Donzi bottom did not blister or I would have joined in on the legal action!

:beer: