PDA

View Full Version : Transom Hole Fixture.

Rootsy
03-19-2006, 11:45 AM
I am in need of the merc fixture to cut my transom hole. alpha/bravo one... if anyone has one that they'd like to let me borrow for a week or two i'd be most appreciative.

I need to finish the glass on the inside of the transom and then i'll be ready to cut the hole... eventhough ihavn't quite decided how high i do want to cut it :confused:

Thanks eh

Jamie

gcarter
03-19-2006, 12:20 PM
Jamie, check this out;

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=34540

MOP
03-19-2006, 03:46 PM
Jamie I just looked to see if I still had rayjay's info, NOT it stayed with the bad computer.. If you can't find one you can mark the holes using the inner shield, the holes are symmetrical. The important thing is to use a drilling block to make sure the holes are exactly 90 degrees to the transom or the studs will bind. After marking drill small centered pilot holes then make up a drilling block use a 2" thick piece of aluminum stock drill it on a drill press to insure the holes are straight. That works well, even with the fixture with the drill bosses you still need to do all the same setup. I have gotten away with a paper tracing and a drill block.

Phil

MOP
03-19-2006, 04:46 PM
They run about $160 new, they have steel insets for durability.

Outdated info above!!!

Price
http://www.mercstuff.com/page16.htm
Good picture
http://www.mercstuff.com/transomfixture.htm

Pismo
03-19-2006, 06:29 PM
Ahhh, the eternal X-dimension question...... very tough. If it is any help the engineer at Miami show who helped build the Shelby 22 with the 2" higher X said it was too high and max should have been about 1-1 1/2" above normal. You can always go too high and space. Engine clearance will probably decide for you. Good luck with it all.

Rootsy
03-20-2006, 06:26 AM
The X dim... wellll it is a toss up... stock 14 1/2 or raise it an inch to 15 1/2... play it safe or take a chance... hatch clearance won't be an issue at either... the end plan is to run a 2 inch shortie on the bravo... and we know from experience that a 3" alpha SS makes the 18 an incredible speed demon and handling miracle... so in "Theory" it should do the same with the bravo installed +1 and the shortie adding +2... the question is... just how much will raising 600 lbs 1 inch effect things...

keep in mind... this boat is going to lose 12 inches of inner strake... it is 24 degrees and has a sharp keel so bow lift (or stern suck) should be enhanced over a stock full strake hulll... but again from an example of a barrelback with an Alpha SS that runs somewhere around 75ish... we know the high propshaft location should work...

i just need to find the dril fixture to make my life real simple... i guess i could just mark things out but i'd rather it look professional vs some of the real hack jobs i've seen in my past... but if it boils down to it i reckon i can do it that way...

Greg
03-21-2006, 05:44 PM
Jamie, I have a paper template I got from Merc. Its an outline of the size of the hole and where the holes should be drilled and how. If you need that I will be willing to make a carbon copy of that and all the info on it. I am watching this thread because, my transom is in. I just havn't pulled the trigger on cutting the hole.

Rootsy
03-21-2006, 07:48 PM
Jamie, I have a paper template I got from Merc. Its an outline of the size of the hole and where the holes should be drilled and how. If you need that I will be willing to make a carbon copy of that and all the info on it. I am watching this thread because, my transom is in. I just havn't pulled the trigger on cutting the hole.

greg,

you have mail

mphatc
03-22-2006, 06:28 AM
Rootsy,

I drilled mine with the tool, and then cut with a sawzall. I sued a narrtowed blade for the radius and cut slowly. I aslo marked the hole shape inside so that I could watch the blade from the other side.

Sawzalls will not cut a radius w/o the blade wandering and making a tapered cut. This is why I narrowed the blade. My cuts were all inside the layout lines. I then used my 90 degree die grinder and a small 2" OD disk to trim the hole to the correct size, just barely large enough to fit in the Mercruiser transom housing.

When it was completed it was sealed with West Epoxy.

Mario

David Hartmann
03-24-2006, 08:44 PM
I am in need of the merc fixture to cut my transom hole. alpha/bravo one... if anyone has one that they'd like to let me borrow for a week or two i'd be most appreciative.
I need to finish the glass on the inside of the transom and then i'll be ready to cut the hole... eventhough ihavn't quite decided how high i do want to cut it :confused:
Thanks eh
Jamie

I rented mine from Marine power Service out of Farmindale NJ. CAll Andy. give him credit card infor and they will ups it to you. It comes with the big drill and the hole saw with the long center drill

I think they charge around $50 You need to know where you want to but the x they only wnat you to have the kit for a couple of days. I have done it in th past with out the jig but from now on I am going to rent the jig it was very easy.

mrfixxall
03-25-2006, 11:10 AM
Rootsy which one do you need,brovo ? let me know when you need it ill let you borrow mine.....i mark the hole then use my router to cut the hole i usually dul the bit on every one i have done but i find it makes a nice clean cut....