PDA

View Full Version : Volvo 290 Drive Repair

gnbrian
03-18-2006, 08:45 PM
Need a suggestion for someone preferebly in South Florida to go thru my Volvo 290 drive from a 1985 Classic. Any suggestions?

MOP
03-18-2006, 08:51 PM
No help I'm up north but curious what happened?

Phil

onesubdrvr
03-18-2006, 08:52 PM
I've got a guy up here in Ft. Pierce, I'll try to find his #

My OMC guy (recommended to my by Buizilla), recommended him for the early Volvo stuff. He works out of his house :biggrin: . He hasn't done anything for me yet, but it may be a start. I'll try to dig up his # in the next day or so.

Wayne

gnbrian
03-18-2006, 08:58 PM
Pulled engine and drive today, found some oil at the top of the drive near u-joints and some bad corrosion at the 2 bolts holding the top of the drive,and stripped threads. I did have some slippage the last time I ran, whenever that was, been so long I cannot remember

MOP
03-18-2006, 09:07 PM
Pulled engine and drive today, found some oil at the top of the drive near u-joints and some bad corrosion at the 2 bolts holding the top of the drive,and stripped threads. I did have some slippage the last time I ran, whenever that was, been so long I cannot remember

Don't like the "been so long" that worries me more then what was originaly wrong with it, stuff like that needs immediate attnetion.

Phil

gnbrian
03-18-2006, 09:16 PM
Yes I agree, that's what 2 years of battling hurricanes does for boating. Hoping to get all back together and actually use, rather than just paying storage and insurance. Just want to start off fresh

MOP
03-18-2006, 09:25 PM
Drain it out and let us know what the oil looks like, you saying it had developed slippage is a concern. Low oil and sometimes water will get them slipping. If the oil looks real bad it may pay to find another drive, parts are pricy if the gears and bearing have rusted it will bury you.

Phil