PDA

View Full Version : Bravo I Lower Question

RedDog
03-18-2006, 04:07 PM
I need to bolt my Bravo I lower to the upper gear housing. My Clymer manual has the following step: " Apply a light coat of Perfect Seal to the quad ring seal and install it into the recess between the water passage and the drave shaft." I have no idea what this is referring to. What is the quad ring seal?
What is a Perfect Seal equivalent?
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=19311&stc=1&d=1142719531

MOP
03-18-2006, 04:48 PM
I am not a Merc man but have watched our out mech, #3 is to most an odd looking Oring kind of squarish in profile. The perfect seal can be gotten at a Merc dealer, he coated the land & seal and also brushed a vey light coat onto the mating surface. It is important to get a good seal the water builds quite high at speed.

Phil

RedDog
03-18-2006, 07:53 PM
I didn't see any evidence of a sealer on the mating surfaces when I split the upper and lower????

MOP
03-18-2006, 08:33 PM
I didn't see any evidence of a sealer on the mating surfaces when I split the upper and lower????

The factories do not coat surfaces or bolts, it is more then very worth while practice when doing a drive over. Not sure where you boat but here in salt the prepping of a drive to survive is very important. I have spent hours upon hours on some drives getting them apart while drives our shop worked on required next to nothing. In many cases the cost of getting one apart along with maybe having to coil some of the holes can out weigh the cost of the actual parts used to do the original repair. Take my word a few minutes extra on prep is well worth the time and effort.